Low fuel light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jljbtm

Reaction score
Just getting to the bottom of my 1st.tank 2019 and it says 50miles to empty, does anyone know how accurate it is?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Remember, DTE is dependent on past driving mileage and current usage. You could have been in start and stop traffic for most of the tank and now be cruising non stop at 50 MPH. The 50 miles to empty is certainly going to stretch, and the opposite could be the case (all highway followed by stop and go, you will hit empty faster). In other words, get gas. :)

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
with my 2009 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7L
I forgot to check my fuel gauge while driving through Pecos Texas & saw a sign that read next gas stop ahead Toyah Texas, i saw that i was very low of fuel & knew that i had to stop soon.
As it turned out, the gas station in Toyah was boarded up :)
I looked for a turn around when i spotted that station, i traveled well past that station when i remembered that i had about 4 gallons in a gas jug, so i continued on.
I knew that the next town was Van Horn, but i knew that i would not make it to there.
It just so happened that there was a hole in the wall gas station just after the I-10 & I-20 interchange.
I must have driven 80 miles after the 50 mile low fuel warning came on, i did slow my driving speed to about 50 in an 80 MPH zone.
I didn't have to use my spare gas.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When my light comes on and I fill up it takes 25-26 gallons. My truck is supposed to have a 32 gallon tank. I've never tested it but have put as much as 28 gallons in. Lots of discussions/complaints about this problem in past threads. I agree it's an annoyance but am not really sure what can be done about it.

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been as low as 11 miles as reported on start up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
In my old Ford F-150 I could go quite a ways after the low fuel light, but in the Ram I gas up pretty quick after the light comes on. If you watch the "how many miles left" you will notice it changes quite a bit depending on how you drive. You also do not want to run the tank empty, that could damage your fuel pump.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You also do not want to run the tank empty, that could damage your fuel pump.
Hmm...where in the owner's manual does it say "DO NOT RUN THE FUEL TANK EMPTY BECAUSE YOU MAY DAMAGE THE FUEL PUMP"?
People run out of fuel all the time with ZERO damage to their fuel pump.

absolute-hogwash.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You also do not want to run the tank empty, that could damage your fuel pump.
This is true for modern day diesel engines, not so much for gassers. Diesel HPFP use the fuel for lubrication. The in-tank pump on both gas/diesel are centrifugal type, and don't really care if they are run dry.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
You guys are more than welcome to run your fuel tank dry,. But if I see you on the side of the road begging for a gallon of gas, I'm not going to stop :cool:

I don't care what you say, I'm not going to run mine dry. That is stupid.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I had wondered about this before but today ran mine uncomfortably low and it still only took 26 gallons to fill a 31 gallon tank. I had ran it pretty low before and wondered why it only took 25 or so gallons but today my EVIC read 15 miles to empty when I pulled in to the station. It took 26.459 gallons to fill it and it's a 31 gallon tank.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
This has been discussed alot. I found same issues of it saying empty but it only takes 26-29 at most on a 32 tank.

Solution was I went into the settings using ALPHAOBD App and changed fuel tank capacity to 121 liters (32 g). Now my gauge and light are accurate. Each quarter line on the gauge is 8 gallon.
If you're not familiar read in this forum about ALPHAOBD app. You will also need the bluetooth OBDII Port dongle and for 18+ trucks a security bypass cable.
I'll post the link here below .

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/52-gallon-fuel-tank.171058/page-3

Last edited:

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
You guys are more than welcome to run your fuel tank dry,. But if I see you on the side of the road begging for a gallon of gas, I'm not going to stop :cool:

I don't care what you say, I'm not going to run mine dry. That is stupid.

I used to ride Harleys with a guy like that, would run full to empty and never want to stop for gas. Several times as in more than once sitting on the side of the road trying to get gas out of two or three tanks for one person to go get gas so the others could come in. Never again, you guys do what you want but I get below a half a tank I'm looking for a station.

I'll also relate one further story, driving from Minneapolis to Iowa City Iowa got stuck on the freeway and sat for 9 hours waiting on the national guard to dig the 20 or so cars out of the snow. I got blocked in by a tractor trailer and an F-150 that had driven through a 5-ft snowbank. Couldn't turn around fast enough as the snow was coming down and by the time I got truck turned around less than 30 minutes the snow was over 3 ft deep. If I hadn't had a full tank I wouldn't be relating the story now. The hemi doesn't like idling a lot I can tell you I idled mine for 9 hours straight, never missed a lick, still have original cam 150k miles.

Buy gas, it's an investment that pays dividends

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
It's not that I intend to run close to empty. The reason I need an accurate gauge is for quick calculations in my head while traveling especially when towing to unfamiliar areas. I don't think it's too much to ask to have a gauge that actually represents the true level.