low oil pressure switch? 97 5.9l 360 v8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ohiogrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CCSB, 2011 ccsb, 2012 5500, 2016 5500, 2017 ccsb wxpress
Engine
4.7, 4.7, 6.7, 6.7, 5.7
Make sure you've got the disconnect tool for the lines, probably not a bad idea to have hardware on hand for the strap bolts. Its not uncommon to have to cut them, so I reccomend getting over that hurdle before to disconnect the lines and filler neck. Otherwise gas fumes and sparks make a bad mix.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
No don't throw it all away just don't put in the last say gallon. I might have a diy I can post up let me look and see. Its can be a ***** to get to the top of the fuel pump to remove the lines, kinda have to stick your arm and head up between the box and the frame so you can see what you are doing. I like to remove the rear tire/wheel and the inner wheel well liner just makes it easier for me, but you don't have to.

OP
OP
Z

zeustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
I'm gonna disconnect the battery so there's no power running while i am working. hopefully i wont have to cut the straps.
and alright thanks for the tips.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
The pix won't show up, if you like I can email this to you, pm me your email if you like.

*So I need to point out the obvious; NO SMOKING, NO GRINDING, NO SPARKS OF ANY KIND, NO OPEN FLAME. You are working around fuel and its flammable be smart.

* Work outside gas fumes will fill a garage faster than you think.

* Sealed led trouble lights are ok, Work type bulb trouble lights are a big no no.

* Wear appropriate safety gear, gloves and goggles etc.

*A buddy is a good thing to have over at this time

Tool list:

15mm deep socket, two 12” extensions, ratchet, 3/8 drive min.
5/16 nut driver
½ wrench.
Flat blade screw driver
Piece of rope to wrap around the tank to hold shield
Jack and jack stand.
Small LED flashlight
LED work light
Siphon hose approx. 6’ long 1/2”diameter
Clean white 3 gallon pail
A few 5 gallon gas cans
Hammer and a piece of hardwood 1”x 1” x 12” long
Strap wrench
Milk crate or two

*Approximate time to do this job 2-3hrs

*Disconnect the negative cable from the battery (1/2”wrench).

* Set the e brakes, block the front tires; remove the driver’s side rear tire and put the truck on a jack stand.

1 On the driver’s side of the intake you will find a Schrader valve for the fuel system, place a rag over it and use a small screwdriver to release the pressure if it has any. Some years might not have this, let the truck sit for half hour as it will bleed off the psi if it has any.

This might be redundant as the fuel pump is dead and there should be no psi in the system. But I feel it should be added to this Diy.

intakefuellinedisconnect_zps7af66712.jpg

2 Remove the plastic wheel well liner, this will give you access to the pump, and fuel filler neck.

diyfuelpump002_zps8db00ed4.jpg

3 Remove the hose clamps on the fuel filler neck (5/16 nut driver), and separate the vent hose & the fill hose from the neck. Leave the hoses on the gas tank side. If you still have the factory hose clamps be ready for a battle, I use a pair of tin snips to cut the clamps up by the heads and the use a screwdrivers to pry them off.

diyfuelpump001_zps71fe5ff3.jpg

4 Insert a siphon hose into the big fill hose and down into the gas tank and start a siphon of gas into gas cans. You won’t get all the fuel out; about two gallons will remain in the tank. Find some type of clean plugs you can put in the ends of the hoses to help keep dirt out of the tank.

5 Disconnect the fuel line from the pump by squeezing the plastic tabs together; up where the line attaches to the fuel filter. I use a big plastic tub under the fuel tank to catch any fuel when the line is disconnected from the fuel pump. This fuel should not be reused dispose of it in a proper manner.

diyfuelpump002_zps8db00ed4.jpg

5a For the wiring there is a red tab that needs to be put in the open position; I use a pair of small water pump pliers to move this clip, then you must push the other clip down, the plug can then be separated from the pump.

redclipclosed_zpsb18dc772.jpg

pump006_zps01ec6890.jpg

The rollover /vent valve hose can be removed at this time as well.

6 Put the truck in neutral and remove the rear drive-shaft bolts (10mm box end wrench); then move the drive-shaft out of the way, be sure to use masking tape to keep the cross joint bearing caps on the cross joint. This gives you a lot more room to work.

7 Start to remove the gas tank strap nuts up near the frame (15mm deep socket) loosen both at first then remove the back strap and let the tank rest on a milk crate, and then remove the front strap.

diyfuelpump003_zpse2d7e96a.jpg

8 Drop the tank to the ground.

9 Wash the outside of the fuel tank with soap and water.

2013-05-10_12-38-30_256_zpsf803a936.jpg

10 To remove the fuel pump from the tank you need to loosen the big locking ring that holds the pump in the tank. You can try a strap wrench; if that does not work I use a piece of hardwood and a hammer to get the ring moving. Counter clockwise to remove ring and clockwise to tighten ring.

pump007_zps0b692e5f.jpg

11 Using a grease pencil mark a reference spot on the tank were the wiring and fuel lines aim. Pull the pump up and out of the tank, there will be about a ½ gallon of gas in the pump itself so be careful.

12 Using a led waterproof flashlight inspect the inside of the fuel tank for contamination (water, dirt).

**Turn the flashlight on before you get near the fuel tank; turn it off when away from the fuel tank.

13 Stand the tank on end up on a table/bench and siphon the rest of the gas out of the tank into a clean white pail; look for contamination in the pail. If the fuel is clean in the pail then reuse the fuel, if dirty don’t reuse the fuel.

14 Clean out the inside of the tank with clean rags or wash it out with hot water, dry it out with clean lint free rags after washing.

15 Install your new fuel pump in the tank, pay close attention to the rubber sealing ring make sure it’s between the tank and the pump. Aim the wiring and fuel lines to your grease mark and then start the locking ring, if you’re happy with the fit; tighten down the ring.

16 Reinstall the fuel tank, no tricks here it’s just the opposite of removal.

Use a piece of rope to hold the shield in place while installing the fuel tank & straps.

Make sure the fuel line is clipped on the pump right; you should hear it click when put on right.

Install the wheel well liner and rear tire after you have checked the fuel lines for leaks.

Your truck might not start on the first try it needs to prime the system; it might even have a miss for a couple of minutes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zeustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Wow! thats going to help me out alot. thank you. luck has it i have all the tools which is great.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Sorry for not having the pix to go with that diy I need to log into my photobucket account and add them at some point.

Edit; Got some added not quite right or all of them but its better than nothing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zeustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
well i got the tank and all down and the pump out but there is only one problem. The rollover valve is broke and i know i have to use that on the new pump but i dont know where to get one at.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Mopar part number is 52102172

OP
OP
Z

zeustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
bad part of it is i wont have my truck on the road for a few more days. because i have to wait on getting the part.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Very easy it just fits in, just lube up the seal a bit with some oil and it will go right in.

OP
OP
Z

zeustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
well i got a airtex pump from autozone and it doesn't wasn't to go in even after lubing it up some.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
**** Airtex pump, dam can you send it back and get another brand like Denso? Airtex have a very bad rep for these fuel pumps.

OP
OP
Z

zeustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
yeah im taking it back tomorrow cause the valve wont even fit in it so its useless. i could get a pump from the dodge dealership.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Good, but from the dealer ouch up here thats a $400 hit. How about Rockauto?

OP
OP
Z

zeustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
only bad thing about ordering online is i need it like immediately seeing i have to rely on a ride to school now that my trucks not going anywhere. so really i dont have an option to order it online.

OP
OP
Z

zeustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Merc thank you for the parts number i ordered my valve and it will be here tomorrow cost me 40 bucks.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Good to read you have one coming. :)

OP
OP
Z

zeustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
well dodge still hasnt got my vlave in ive called them everyday and they keep saying tomorrow