Low RPM surging and vibrations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExqusiteRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did read on another forum that an older muffler can get like this with time, similar to drone and creates vibrations from the muffler or the catalytic converters going bad too, the honeycomb inside starts to break down and feels like a vibration ... something to take a look at
Thats funny a mechanic shop i deliver to told me the same thing he said it can be that the honeycomb inside the cat is clogged or whatever over time might be a small blockage and when i give it the more gas it goes. Because the noise and hesitation is when im light on the gas pedal.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Thats funny a mechanic shop i deliver to told me the same thing he said it can be that the honeycomb inside the cat is clogged or whatever over time might be a small blockage and when i give it the more gas it goes. Because the noise and hesitation is when im light on the gas pedal.
Yeep, that might actually be it .... cay is probably going out ...

kelleymark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Any updates on this one? My 3.6L 8spd does the same as everyone else at 12-1300rpm. Replaced the following and still no change.

• Replaced all spark plugs.
  • Replaced all O2 oxygen sensors
  • Checked voltage on alternator and cleaned and replaced positive connector on alternator
  • Three fuel tanks of Injector cleaner
  • Replaced PCV Valve
  • Replaced Charge temperature sensor
  • Replaced Throttle Body with sensor
  • Replaced Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor
  • Replaced Crank Shaft Position Sensor

Ken Camp

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar VVT V6
Any updates on this one? My 3.6L 8spd does the same as everyone else at 12-1300rpm. Replaced the following and still no change.

• Replaced all spark plugs.
  • Replaced all O2 oxygen sensors
  • Checked voltage on alternator and cleaned and replaced positive connector on alternator
  • Three fuel tanks of Injector cleaner
  • Replaced PCV Valve
  • Replaced Charge temperature sensor
  • Replaced Throttle Body with sensor
  • Replaced Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor
  • Replaced Crank Shaft Position Sensor
What year is your truck?

Ken Camp

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar VVT V6
Kelley mark, looks like you tried everything, catalytic converter maybe? Have the 3.6L also and am interested in what you find out. Just in case mine goes haywire too. Good luck.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
My suggestion is , tighten your intake manifold bolts. They are only bolted down to 105 inch lbs. Which is not alot. Beware you can easily strip the threads as you are tighten in plastic.

My 11 was bouncing In idle speed, I finally found it when I was looking for a vacuum leak.

Easy test, spray your intake with wd40 where it bolts down If it changes idle, you have found. If no, it's something else.

My 14 did this as well but it has a supercharger installed on the and it was the 02 sensors in front of the cats.

It can be different problems

jslyons2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I see I'm not the only one out there with this issue! I have a 2014 Ram 1500 5.7L w/ 150k miles on it and has the 100-200 rpm bounce at cruising speeds as well. Looks like people have tried a lot without any success which is why I'm hesitant to bring it to the dealer. I called and described it and they haven't heard of it before. Anyone try replacing the cat? Or anyone fix it at all yet?

JZimmerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am having the very similar issues with my 2014 hemi 5.7. I LOVE this truck, but it has an engine surge at cruising speeds from about 50-75mph. Very concerning because i've never had this on another vehicle. It recently started to "shutter" every so often as well while gently accelerating probably between 3rd and 5th gear, but not noticing it exactly when shifting. I've had it to the dealer 3X for the same thing, but they told me it was the fuel pump. I changed it and no change to the performance. Now that the extended warranty is expired I am afraid they are going to now tell me it is the tranny. Only has 101,*** miles on it. I've read here that it may be the TPS so going to try to change that out next. Any advice from experts would be really appreciated.

kelleymark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
********** TORQUE CONVERTER ****************

VERIFIED - 100% solution.

Dealer wanted to place new transmission in at 9500$ ++

Local transmission mechanic - *** torque converter *** - $2500 (CDN) bill

Last edited:

kelleymark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I am having the very similar issues with my 2014 hemi 5.7. I LOVE this truck, but it has an engine surge at cruising speeds from about 50-75mph. Very concerning because i've never had this on another vehicle. It recently started to "shutter" every so often as well while gently accelerating probably between 3rd and 5th gear, but not noticing it exactly when shifting. I've had it to the dealer 3X for the same thing, but they told me it was the fuel pump. I changed it and no change to the performance. Now that the extended warranty is expired I am afraid they are going to now tell me it is the tranny. Only has 101,*** miles on it. I've read here that it may be the TPS so going to try to change that out next. Any advice from experts would be really appreciated.
I replaced mine (TPS), thinking the same. But it turns out its the Torque Converter, locking and unlocking.

jslyons2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
********** TORQUE CONVERTER ****************

VERIFIED - 100% solution.

Dealer wanted to place new transmission in at 9500$ ++

Local transmission mechanic - *** torque converter *** - $2500 (CDN) bill

kelleymark - when you say VERIFIED, does that mean you replaced it and the issues gone? Or were you able to verify it another way and will be replacing it at the local mechanic?

kelleymark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
kelleymark - when you say VERIFIED, does that mean you replaced it and the issues gone? Or were you able to verify it another way and will be replacing it at the local mechanic?
Yes, verified at the local transmission mechanic and of course all Torque Converters from Chrysler are back ordered 3+ weeks.

kelleymark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
All fixed - Torque convertor. All done, no vibrations or surges anymore. Dealers need to document this and stop bilking owners.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963