Lower Shock Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andler2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had tried, and failed at installing a set for 2.5" coils spacers to level out the stance of my truck. I got to the point of taking of the lower shock bolts, and put an air drill on both sides (of course both spinning in the same direction) and they wouldn't come off. loads on PB Blaster and lots-o-heat and nothing. So Has anyone had this issue and how did you end up getting the bolts off? Obviously they will need replaced, just cant get em out to do the replacing part.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
So you've held a wrench on the other side that is spinning right?

OP
OP
A

Andler2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well neither side is spinning. thats the problem. Its rusted to the point that I cant even get the bolt itself to turn. So I was going to try and cut it out, and of course with the way it's mounted to the axle, it's nearly impossible to get a cutoff wheel in there. I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problems as me and how they got through it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My automatic thought would be to get an impact in there.

OP
OP
A

Andler2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sorry, it was wrongly worded.

I have 2 half inch impacts. I forget the socket size, but both the same size and correct for the bolt. I had tried heat, pb, heat, pb , heat pb for a few days, and started cranking on it from the nut side. wasn't budging. even with the impact it was a no go. so I took the other impact and put it on the bolt head, and used both of them at the same time to try and break it loose. No go. heads are all still fine a dandy, it's just completely rusted and I have no Idea on how to start cutting it off without taking the spring cups off.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Maybe take grinder to the nut on the backside?

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this truck 4x4 or 2wd?

If it comes to it, just drill out the bolt head and replace the whole thing.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Torch it off then beat it out with a hammer and screwdriver or anything of that nature

OP
OP
A

Andler2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I cant fit a grinder anywhere up there. It's quite ridiculous, but it's not something you'd expect to be an issue if someone (PO) had actually done proper maintenance on it. :flipthebird:

I've thought about drilling it out from the head of the bolt, then once it splits the head from the shaft:naughty: then maybe I can use my BFH to press it out. Oh or maybe use a balljoint press. OHHHHHHHH that may work if I can get the head off.

But in all seriousness, No one has actually come across this issue before?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've not seen anyone have it as bad as you have. lol

I haven't been up under my truck in a while but you seriously can't get a grinder up in there with the wheel off?

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
I did a 2.5 lift on mine and the front were fairly simple to get off. Your lucky you don't have this problem on the rear shocks because getting those of would be literally impossible. For you though, id just torch the botches off. Save you time and headache. Unless you plan on keeping the bolts and nuts to use afterwards then your sol IMO. lol

freddyx844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 on LPG
I had to replace the lower bolt and shock mount. You'll have to drill it out or something. Maybe you could use a nut splitter? Applying some heat is usually enough.

Wchnu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you get a heavy breaker bar with a long cheater pipe on it? I have had to do that on farm equipment that a impact would not break loose.

OP
OP
A

Andler2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry I haven't replied in a bit. I am going to take everything back apart which is a complete pain in the ass, but I want it done. I'm hoping I can get a nice big drill bit and drill through the top of the bolt. Hopefully if I can split the head from the shaft then i can press the shaft through with a ball joint press if need be. I'm working alot so hopefully this weekend I'll get to it.