lowering 4X4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have a RAM RC 4X4 that I would like to lower a little. Going for an SRT type look.
Truck will get a fully built 426 HEMI engine, among other performance stuff. The 4x4 part will be used in racing.

I see only 2 options to lower the front. "drop spindles" and "torsion keys". I don't want to go too low, so I'm leaning towards torsion keys. But, if I go with drop spindles, what ones do I buy? I can't find any listed for 4x4s.

The rear, Im thinking axle flip? Is that the normal lowering solution? Will the frame need clearance if doing an axle flip?

Shocks, what size of shocks should I get? Any part numbers for lowered trucks?

Thanks

View media item 25002

PartTimeHero

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014/ 2004
Engine
Hemi 5.7 x 2
They do make kits for the 3rd gens 4x4s, I think Mcgaughys. I remember Trup dropping his silver one many moons ago. The spindles should do a 2" drop and yes on the 3rd gens a axel flip is pretty standard for the 4" in the rear. I have never messed with torsion keys but if you want a rake you will want to either take the front down 3-4" or find another option that only drops the rear 2-3". A 2/4 drop will be pretty close to level. At least my 04 is

OP
OP
DaKing

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thanks Part Time Hero

I was looking at that ground force kit. The issue I have is the "bolt on" spring under brackets. I would rather have welded brackets, due to the HP of the 426 engine.

I can get new spring perches for $40.

The "torsion keys" can be had for $40 also. At least ones that claim to lower. Was going to ask if anyone used just "torsion keys" from ebay that lower 1 to 3".

so all that is left is the shocks. I figure ~$50ea?

I just cant see spending $1000 bucks for what amounts to $400 in parts I can buy individually. I did contact them to see if they would sell just the keys and shocks. They said nope.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I would do the rear flip kit and front torsion keys. I did the GF flip kit on my '07 with the ported Eagle heads, cam, and a 175 shot and had no hooking issues with that set up.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used the McGaughy's spindles because I needed to change out balljoints anyways. 2" puts my cv shaft angle pretty much level.

2quic4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will eventually be doing the same to my ‘04 as well. Was going to use shackles, but from what i have read, its reccomended to remove the rear overload springs as well. Seems the shackles alone do not lower the rear enough.

Belltech sells leaf springs that provide a 3.5” drop for the 02-05 regular cab, does anyone know if they will work on 4wd? Of course their website only shows rwd

Im thinking that along with their shocks will bring the truck down where i want it, and if need be i will lower the front by turning down the stock keys. Truck sits roughly 2-3/4 inches higher in the rear currently