Lowering a 1500 Classic Crew Cab with 2 piece drive shaft.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigAPolarBear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I apologize up front if I missed the post but I have searched and searched and can’t find anything.

I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Classic Crew Cab with the 6’4” bed, which means I have the 2 piece driveshaft.

When I started looking lift kits I noticed that a lot of them said it would not work with the 2 piece driveshaft. Since then I have changed my direction and have decided to go lower.

I’m looking for 2 in the front and a 2 or 3 in the rear but none of them mention the 2 piece driveshaft which could mean it doesn’t matter or could mean they never checked because they didn’t think it would be in high demand.

Does anybody know for sure what I can do without having driveline issues? Or which kit addresses this issue?

Thank you for any advice in advance.

Attachments

• D0D7815C-11DF-4B47-9C4C-C7BC1D0846FB.jpeg
    D0D7815C-11DF-4B47-9C4C-C7BC1D0846FB.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 8

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Probably the reason lift kits state they don't work with 2 piece drive shafts is excessive u joint angles. Your lowering the truck so the angle issue won't be a problem.
I know @Quick_Shifter knows a thing or two about lifts, he maybe able to help if you decide to change your mind and go up.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
So I apologize up front if I missed the post but I have searched and searched and can’t find anything.

I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Classic Crew Cab with the 6’4” bed, which means I have the 2 piece driveshaft.

When I started looking lift kits I noticed that a lot of them said it would not work with the 2 piece driveshaft. Since then I have changed my direction and have decided to go lower.

I’m looking for 2 in the front and a 2 or 3 in the rear but none of them mention the 2 piece driveshaft which could mean it doesn’t matter or could mean they never checked because they didn’t think it would be in high demand.

Does anybody know for sure what I can do without having driveline issues? Or which kit addresses this issue?

Thank you for any advice in advance.
Is your truck 2 or 4 wheel drive?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It is a 2wd
Jack it up,put the frame on jackstands,unbolt the shocks,pull the rear springs out,then jack the diff up till it's hitting the rubber bumpstops,and see how much driveshaft travel you still have left at the carrier bearing.The driveshaft length has to change as the rear diff moves through it's travel arc,and when the rear diff is on the bumpstops,thats when the driveshaft is at it's farthest forward travel.When you lift the truck,the driveshaft travel is at it's rear most travel,and you could run into the issue of the driveshaft being pulled off the slip yoke splines.

OP
OP
B

BigAPolarBear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Wild One but my worry is about pinion angle. The only other trucks I have lowered with a carrier bearing is the S10 and those required the carrier bearing to be shimmed to keep the angles right. It was a known issue in the scene. I never see this brought up on the lowering kits, just the lift kits.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks Wild One but my worry is about pinion angle. The only other trucks I have lowered with a carrier bearing is the S10 and those required the carrier bearing to be shimmed to keep the angles right. It was a known issue in the scene. I never see this brought up on the lowering kits, just the lift kits.
Pinion angle isn't usually an issue on a 2 to 3" rear drop,it's not till you start going 4" or more lower on the rear that you have to start adjusting the pinion angle.Then you'd probably want to look into doing the relocation brackets and adjustable control arms,but with only going down 2 or 3" you're usually still with-in reason with your pinion angles