Lubricant and Fluid Change Intervals - Book vs. Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Revchuck38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Be nice, y'all, my first post on this forum. :)

I have a 2020 Classic with the V6 and 3.21 rear end. I bought it new, and tend to keep my vehicles until they have at least 200k miles. I want to do what I can to ensure this one makes it at least that far.

A thread on another non-automotive forum included a discussion on factory-recommended service intervals for F150s and how over-optimistic they are. Examples were 10k miles for oil changes and 100k miles for sparkplug changes, among others. Yes, I realize this is an apples-to-oranges comparison. I'm trying to tap into the forum's collective experience to see if the same thing applies to my truck. I've already decided that I'm going to ignore the manual's "don't change the oil until the computer tells you to" guidance and stick to 5k miles.

What say ye?

Richg87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock
Engine
V6 Pentastar
I also keep my vehicles a long time. I change the oil every 5K miles. I haven't decided on when to change the transmission fluid. In my last truck I changed every 45K miles. Coolant flush every 4 years or so.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
New engines are more sensitive to oil with contaminants, hence the development of tighter oil specs and also OEM specs such as Dexos 1 & 2.

Engine Oil now is a hydraulic actuating medium for VVT cam phasers, MDS, pilot valves, etc. It must have superb anti-oxidation resistance. Basically, this means only a Group III minimum base stock is necessary. Depending on filtration quality, many of us have dropped back to 5k oil change intervals to ensure we aren't plating out deposits in sensitive hydraulic orifices and solenoid valves.

I think the OEM's will back down from their OCI idiot light algorithm software and over-marketed extended OCI's with all the problems they've had with warranty failures from these systems.

I'm a retired former Mobil Oil Corporation Industrial Lubrication Engineer, and Generator Power Drive Engineer. Yes, I change @ 5k miles.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I follow the schedule for “severe service” in all my vehicles.

This has been my practice ever since unlocking the "Adulthood" achievement (that took a bit more than 18 years... ) , with the added guidelines that no fluid is good after 10 years & no fluid is good for more than 100k miles regardless of what the manual says. I also think that even though temperature control and shift precision is a lot better now than it ever was in the past - and clutch material, lubricant quality are likely the highest they've ever been, I'm not going to give any transmission fluid more than 60k miles in service.

That's maybe treading into recreational maintenance territory and I'm very OK with it. Compared to car payments oil and coolant and other consumables are cheap, period.

RamItFaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman
Engine
Cummins
I baby my truck, it's going to the Son when he turns 16, brought him home in it the day he was born, if I manage to maintain it at the current pace it will be a million mile motor, dont know about the rest of the parts though lol

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look at your driving habits and compare them to the manual. The factory engineers already did the work for us and know a thing or two about the parts that went in and how to maintain them properly. Of course you'll have a plethora of internet master techs and internet chemical engineers in most enthusiasts forums that will tell you otherwise and how bad things are when you don't or do this or that yada yada yada. i rarely pay attention to such things anymore. Been following the book intervals since 2009 with a customized scheduled, and it's mostly a little sooner than the longest i can go according to my driving habits and what the boook says, in case i get stuck with something i'll have time to address the issue accordingly.

My truck recently crossed it's first 100k miles milestone. i changed the spark plugs myself at 80k., had the trans fluid changed around the same time as well, i bought the filters and gaskets, had my local oil place do the job for me. i'll switch them in another 80k miles.
I change my oil when the dash says so, i use Castrol synt 5w30 with factory Mopar oil filter.
I change my transfer case and diff fluids every 30-40k miles.
I haven't changed the Coolant yet, is good for years or 150k miles. it'll be 10 years in 2024, and i have 100300 miles or so right now, so it's still good to me.

I need to check when was the last time i flushed the brake fluid. i keep track of everything i change with dates and miles.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Change Oil Every 5K, Use Full Synthetic and Rotate Tires Every 5,000 also. SO Oil Change and Tire Rotation same time. I only have 16,000 K on Odometer (bought truck Aug 2018), so too early for that. I tow only a few times a year, so my plan is:

Tranny 80K (Due more because of Texas Heat, gets 100-110 F here in Summer)
Front/rear Diff Between 50-80 K, more for the time in there then workhorse needs (ie mileage/use).
Coolant: Again, I put little miles on, and says till 150K, due to Time, Prob at 100K

All above are a BOIRD's estimates only.

DA BOIRD.

turkey.JPG

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Look at oil filter thread, it just makes no sense to use paper filters, fram ultra makes a cartridge filter for your application I do believe. You don't have the hemi so you don't need to worry about lack of lubrication like we do. However, I do believe your engine does have some weaknesses, if you know them it "might" be possible to have a strategy to better protect those parts, sometimes heavy additive oils or higher viscosity depending on issue. I forget what tendencies your engine has or I might be able to wager a theory on it. For example the eco diesel had bearing issues so fca went up in viscosity to protect the bearings, hemi's have lubrication challenges where different base ois and additives like moly seam to help a ton, which is why fca hemi oil has more moly then most any shelf oil.

If you really want to figure out how the engine is running go to blackstone and do a uoa, that might determine whether or not to use a real strategy or just throw new oil in it every 5k miles. Those eco diesels and hemi's the issue is glaring when you look at uoa's. Maybe you do a uoa and it comes back clean, then use a strategy that takes that fact into consideration. If it came back dirty we can discuss possible strategies on syn thread.

The newest api oil spec has really led to most oils having similar properties, so unless we are talking about 0 winter rated oils, no real reason to buy an expensive oil if the engine is running clean. Amazon basics, kirkland, and even walmart oil are all good plays.

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to continue the maintenance schedule with this truck that I am with my 2010 JKUR that we bought new.

-Oil/Rotate tires every 5K
-Trans, diffs and T-case fluids, radiator flush every 50k
-plugs 100K

So far this has worked on the 3.8 motor and auto trans in the Jeep, currently have just under 160K on her and she runs and looks almost new.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll say I will follow the book. I followed the idiot light for oil changes on my 2011 pentastar town and country and motor ram perfect with no oil use when sold at 150k miles. I also noticed on the RAM if towing it automatically drops the oci in half. So it pretty much takes care of severe service. I end up changing after 5-6k in summer and get 6-8k on the other change when not towing much (light doesn't go off but I have to change before our trip)

skbball06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Classic Quad Cab Bighorn
Engine
3.6 V6 Etorque
I follow the schedule for “severe service” in all my vehicles. Which is shorter intervals and extra items in most manufacturers manuals. My vehicles do see a fair amount of dirt, towing, etc.
Good rule to follow. Anything that is not the test track is considered "severe". Literally all conditions other than the test track!

skbball06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Classic Quad Cab Bighorn
Engine
3.6 V6 Etorque
Be nice, y'all, my first post on this forum. :)

I have a 2020 Classic with the V6 and 3.21 rear end. I bought it new, and tend to keep my vehicles until they have at least 200k miles. I want to do what I can to ensure this one makes it at least that far.

A thread on another non-automotive forum included a discussion on factory-recommended service intervals for F150s and how over-optimistic they are. Examples were 10k miles for oil changes and 100k miles for sparkplug changes, among others. Yes, I realize this is an apples-to-oranges comparison. I'm trying to tap into the forum's collective experience to see if the same thing applies to my truck. I've already decided that I'm going to ignore the manual's "don't change the oil until the computer tells you to" guidance and stick to 5k miles.

What say ye?
5k oil always.
The rest you will get a wide variety of answers many are likely correct.
I like a fuel service once a year so call it 15k
Bigger services in my mind:
Drive line fluid exchange 30k
Transmission 30k
Coolant 30k
Easy peasy right?!

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
5k oil always.
The rest you will get a wide variety of answers many are likely correct.
I like a fuel service once a year so call it 15k
Bigger services in my mind:
Drive line fluid exchange 30k
Transmission 30k
Coolant 30k
Easy peasy right?!
If you intend on servicing that 8spd auto in your new Ram every 30K you're going to be spending a whole lot of money(up to $800) every couple years if you have to pay someone else to do it. Honestly anything more than every 60K miles is a waste on that transmission.

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
I've already decided that I'm going to ignore the manual's "don't change the oil until the computer tells you to" guidance and stick to 5k miles.

What say ye?

With my former 2004 Ram hemi (non-mds) I used full synthetic and with 10K miles oil change intervals..
The oil service meter on my 2018 Ram with 3.6 seems to want to go 10K.. I'm comfortable going 7 to 8K. I don't do anything strenuous, just a long, gentle daily commute. I drive about 2500 miles a month, so change about every 3 months.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 2011 Ram with a 5.7 I changed the oil when the message popped up on the dashboard and I never had a problem. I just traded that truck in with 80k miles in on my new 21 with a 5.7 and I plan on doing the exact same thing

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
professionalish