Transmission fluid and rear differential fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hattan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So my 2014 Ram 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi has 195k miles and I am deciding to change the transmission fluid and differential fluid as well since I am not sure how long since they've been changed. I've never done either change before so I am asking for advice as well as what are the correct type of fluids to buy and do I change the transmission fluid pan as I saw on youtube?. I also wonder what other fluids to change while I am under the truck already. Lastly I would greatly appreciate tools recommendations that will make these changes go smoother and easier if possible. Thank you.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you have the 8 speed trans, the OE pan and filter are 1 piece.

Quite a few members here have bought the PPE aluminum pan, which holds approx 1 extra quart of fluid, and has a replaceable filter.

OE Mopar fluid is pricey, about $20-ish per quart.

A garden sprayer, slightly modified, will serve you well for filling the fluid.

Quite a few members here have used Valvoline MaxLife fluid which is $25-ish per gallon, with great results, your call.

I did the OE fluid and OE pan on my '15. Ran me about $370 for the OE pan and 7qts. Mopar fluid from RockAuto. Just a drain and fill took about 5-1/2 qts.

It's been 50k miles since I did the drain and fill, and I wanted to do another to get more old fluid out, but have not done it as of yet.

Before you drain the fluid: Crack the fill plug loose first. Hercules put mine on, I had to use a cheater to break it loose.

Also use wet rags to help prevent burns from the exhaust.

You will have to raise the rear wheels about 10 inches to level the transmission pan rail, and you must finish the procedure before the trans reaches 122° F. VERY IMPORTANT.

@Wild one has posted FACTORY instructions from a new 8-speed copiously throughout this site. Follow them.

Rear diff. fluid change is a piece of cake. Drain, remove cover. Inspect. Clean sealing surfaces. apply new sealer. install cover, allow to cure. Fill.

Use the proper diff fluid with additive if you have limited slip. My '15 is 2wd is just a standard one, so 75W-140 with no additive was the one for me. Mine took about 2-3/4 qts.

I was nervous doing mine, but gained confidence because of the members here. You will be fine.

Last edited:

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my 2014 Ram 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi has 195k miles and I am deciding to change the transmission fluid and differential fluid as well since I am not sure how long since they've been changed. I've never done either change before so I am asking for advice as well as what are the correct type of fluids to buy and do I change the transmission fluid pan as I saw on youtube?. I also wonder what other fluids to change while I am under the truck already. Lastly I would greatly appreciate tools recommendations that will make these changes go smoother and easier if possible. Thank you.

Here is a very good thread on changing the rear differential fluid: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/differential-oil-change.84221/

I changed it on my 2014 Outdoorsman with the LSD, using Mopar fluid I purchased from the dealer (including the small bottle of LSD fluid).

The process is very easy - I did not remove the cover from the differential.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2008 has a second filter up behind the solenoid pack . Most places never change it.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I go to a small-town chrysler dealer who will sell it out of their bulk barrel much cheaper than I can buy it elsewhere (bring 3 milk jugs). Not only that, they have a pile of clean milk jugs stacked in the corner of the parts dept. I know two other small dealers in our area which will do that too.

So, perhaps call the parts dept of small dealers in your area and see if they'll do it. The larger dealers around here just laugh if you ask that.... lol. Last I looked Walmart was selling Chrysler ATF +4 cheaper than anywhere else. I don't remember on the ZF ...if that's what you need.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
200k miles time to change all fluids, most important first..

Clean throttle body change air filter after you shoot sea foam threw the vac lines and clean combustion chamber, drop a bottle redline si-1 in gas tank. Your combustion chamber is probably caked black. Might get a o2 code after the cleaning, let it ride most likely it will clean itself. I assume you will do engine oil as well, but you might want to wait for this to the end and cleaning combustion chamber will dirty up that oil.

BRAKE fluid
Transfer case
Coolant
Power steering if you have it
Blinker fluid for sure.

Wheel bearings with brakes when needed
pcv
plugs maybe coils

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I have 3 x 1 qt bottles of Mopar Oem fluid left. I bought them from ebay about 3 years ago, and it's been sitting sealed in my garage. I had ppe pan installed and these 3 bottles were extras.

I'm not sure if transmission fluid has exploration date or not, but if you want to pay shipping for 3 bottles from CA then I can send it to you. I also have 2 sealed bottles of 5-20 redline oil which I can send you as well. I don't have my ram truck anymore so don't have a need.

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 3 x 1 qt bottles of Mopar Oem fluid left. I bought them from ebay about 3 years ago, and it's been sitting sealed in my garage. I had ppe pan installed and these 3 bottles were extras.

I'm not sure if transmission fluid has exploration date or not, but if you want to pay shipping for 3 bottles from CA then I can send it to you. I also have 2 sealed bottles of 5-20 redline oil which I can send you as well. I don't have my ram truck anymore so don't have a need.
What are you driving now?

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since we're here, should we flush a transmission if fluid has not been changed?

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After watching Weber autos you tube vid of a wheelchair bound mechanic do it.Plus I heard of instances of it being low from the factory so I did the front dif. transfer and rear dif.with the trans.at 10k all amsoil with a factory pan that came with fasteners built in filter and an extra gasket. Checked it at temp 3k later and it was good.Can’t wait to get rod of the crossover when the headers and exhaust is done.EC98F320-60C7-41F0-98AA-D1B882C9E670.jpeg01C02218-A038-4D9B-B3BB-4BD08A79BC05.jpeg035A178C-A4E3-436A-9B99-208562891B67.jpeg

Attachments

• D284B83A-B4B3-4D0A-8153-872A020969C9.jpeg
    D284B83A-B4B3-4D0A-8153-872A020969C9.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 23

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Kap is such a gentleman, sorry fca let you down.
Burla, not sure if you have any use for redline 5-20, I have two sealed bottles left, I'm in SF sunset district if you ever want to pick it up. Or I can leave it for you in Novato where my parents live. I also have a sealed bottle of redline rl600 brake fluid if you can use it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
next time I head that way I pm you, but redline 600 compatible with any dot 3 or 4 fluid, and you can use that oil as well.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
next time I head that way I pm you, but redline 600 compatible with any dot 3 or 4 fluid, and you can use that oil as well.
I like to match brand and type of the oi and brake fluid l, so I'm giving it away. I'll probably be going to Toyota dealer for service anyway

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
After watching Weber autos you tube vid of a wheelchair bound mechanic do it.Plus I heard of instances of it being low from the factory so I did the front dif. transfer and rear dif.with the trans.at 10k all amsoil with a factory pan that came with fasteners built in filter and an extra gasket. Checked it at temp 3k later and it was good.Can’t wait to get rod of the crossover when the headers and exhaust is done.View attachment 506212View attachment 506213View attachment 506214
got to check that out, sounds inspirational. real cool

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963