lubricate drive shaft on 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've dealt with the transmission clunk and forward lurch when the truck downshift from 2 to 1 since I bought it. It has certianly gotten much better with a hemifever trans tune. I still do feel like the drive train could be smoother on downshifts. Does anyone know if we can lubricate our drive shafts? I did a google search and all the videos that I find are for 2500 and 3500 RAMs.

I own a 16 1500 Rebel with 60k miles. I've done several drain and fills with maxlife and I have a PPE transmission pan already installed.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you notice a distinctive “clunk” coming to a stop or a clunk on acceleration from a stop. I have that issue on a 2018 and it’s the front U joint and spline needing grease. Seems the grease gets old and hardens leaving play in the joint. There is a YouTube video titled “how to repair your drive shaft clunking noise” by McGo101 that may be helpful to watch. When searching for the vid the creator uses drive shaft not driveshaft in the title wording. May be worth your time.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do you notice a distinctive “clunk” coming to a stop or a clunk on acceleration from a stop. I have that issue on a 2018 and it’s the front U joint and spline needing grease. Seems the grease gets old and hardens leaving play in the joint. There is a YouTube video titled “how to repair your drive shaft clunking noise” by McGo101 that may be helpful to watch. When searching for the vid the creator uses drive shaft not driveshaft in the title wording. May be worth your time.

I don't have a noise (yet) but I do have the clunk at stop. I can feel it but no noise. I'll be looking into this, thanks.

Hoping I can find the grease point on my 2014 1500 Laramie.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are no grease points on the U joints/spline on 1500's. If U want to grease, you would have to pull the shaft. This is IMHO only. I cannot remember the last time I saw grease jerks on universals and greased them, maybe the early 70's.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There are no grease points on the U joints/spline on 1500's. If U want to grease, you would have to pull the shaft. This is IMHO only. I cannot remember the last time I saw grease jerks on universals and greased them, maybe the early 70's.

Thanks, I'll check those links/vids.
My last vehicle with grease fittings just about everywhere was a 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4wd. And not needles but actual zerks/nipples.

OP
OP
S

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I watched the video and his follow up. That looks like what I am looking for. I will try that during my next oil change to see if it makes a difference.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I think, only the 4 wheel drive Ram have 1 hard to lube ZERK fitting on the front shaft

OP
OP
S

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think, only the 4 wheel drive Ram have 1 hard to lube ZERK fitting on the front shaft

that was the first video that I watched. It clearly shows a 2500 cummins truck that he is working on. Does anyone know for sure if the 1500 has a zerk fitting on the front driveshaft?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that was the first video that I watched. It clearly shows a 2500 cummins truck that he is working on. Does anyone know for sure if the 1500 has a zerk fitting on the front driveshaft?
My 2018 1500 does not have a zerk on any part of the driveshaft.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, it is for 2500...

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
If it has one the factory should have put a decal on Radiator support ( my 2006 2500 had a decal about it ) and I think its also listed in the owners manual about it possibly having one...

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I called my local dealer for a price on the OE u-joints on the driveshaft - $140 each x 3.

Hydrasport23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The driveshaft splines on the 1500 with 8 speed can be lubed. Set the parking brake and pull the rear u-joint at the differential. Remove or cut the rear clamp on the accordion boot that covers the driveshaft splines. Pull the rear section of the driveshaft out of the boot. You may want to mark the two driveshaft pieces before pulling them apart so you can put the splines back into the original position and that also helps align the rear u-joint when it's time to reassemble. I used a Teflon gel on the splines but you can use whatever you think is best, maybe a moly lube. You can either let the rear of the accordion boot slide on the driveshaft or clamp with a high quality wire tie.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am clueless when it comes to anything but posting pictures.
I watch Rainman Ray' a fellow from Florida, great funny mechanic, **** poor welder thou.
He did the center slip joint on a 2015 1/2t Hope it works for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tU2My2CXgg

PS looks like I figured it out, there are a couple ads at the start
H said wire the boot, or just let slip, that will let dirt in I would think, Hi grade zip tie's???
I would think you should be able to buy those band clamps, But us old farmers use wire for most stuff, out in the field, hammer , wire, pliers= toolbox.

A PS, Ray used a tube of blue spline grease , it was a Ford product. the customer said it would thump when coming to a stop , the grease fixed it.

Last edited: