Magnaflow exhaust at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hemi Joe

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Made an appointment at my local exhaust shop for next Tuesday. Getting the 14" Magnaflow 12198 installed. Can't wait!! Thanks for the advice guys.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Sweet

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Made an appointment at my local exhaust shop for next Tuesday. Getting the 14" Magnaflow 12198 installed. Can't wait!! Thanks for the advice guys.

Awesome! let us know on how you like it and maybe a sound clip.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Yeah, someone said that the 18" and the 14" at idle is about the same but at wot it is different.

RamIt22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So for you guys that have the 14" what do you think about the sound when the mds kicks in? That's what's been holding me off on getting one. I've herd that when mds kicks in it give a horrible drone in the cab and sounds alot like a 4 cylinder. That's what my local shop was telling me trying to steer me away from an exhaust.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
It is not bad at all.

OP
OP
Hemi Joe

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
62ed4e06-b0fc-947c.jpg

Got the exhaust done today! It sounds awesome! Not loud at idle but a nice deep note throughout the entire rpm range. It really growls when you get on it!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
awesome....glad you like it

RamFan2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So for you guys that have the 14" what do you think about the sound when the mds kicks in? That's what's been holding me off on getting one. I've herd that when mds kicks in it give a horrible drone in the cab and sounds alot like a 4 cylinder. That's what my local shop was telling me trying to steer me away from an exhaust.

I love mine. I was worried about the drone too, but for me it's not bad at all, definitely wouldn't say it sounds like a 4 cylinder.

OP
OP
Hemi Joe

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My friend has a Flowmaster on his Ram and it sounds bad when the MDS kicks in and it drones at idle. The Magnaflow doesn't sound bad at all in 4 banger mode. I'm really happy with it. My original worry was excessive noise at idle so I wouldn't **** my neighbors off in the morning. At idle it sounds stock. I will recommend this to anybody now.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Awesome, glad you like it Hemi Joe.

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My friend has a Flowmaster on his Ram and it sounds bad when the MDS kicks in and it drones at idle. The Magnaflow doesn't sound bad at all in 4 banger mode. I'm really happy with it. My original worry was excessive noise at idle so I wouldn't **** my neighbors off in the morning. At idle it sounds stock. I will recommend this to anybody now.

The reason I cut my muffler off was to **** my neighbor off, she's a die heart liberal and has caused us hundreds of problems, I make sure she knows when I leave at 6 in the morning and when I work on my truck:D

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
The reason I cut my muffler off was to **** my neighbor off, she's a die heart liberal and has caused us hundreds of problems, I make sure she knows when I leave at 6 in the morning and when I work on my truck:D

"You're a Bad Man" but it's funny those.:D

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
"You're a Bad Man" but it's funny those.:D

Hahaha yea but people know me because of my truck so why not let them know I'm coming too:D lmao yea but she really does deserve it, like not being a ***** 18 year old, all of our neighborhood pretty much hates this lady. Pretty bad when your neighbor pays to get your muffler put on when I got it. Told her I had to go to Galveston and get one of my buddies to weld her up and she said no let's go to her mechanic and even though he really didn't know what he was doing, It got done and was roarin:D

Black Mamba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
im trying to decide between a 14" or a 18" Magnaflow's. something with little drone not to excessive, like you can still talk with another person at a normal tone. i heard 2 versions that 18" is really quiet w/no drone and 14" is loud w/high drone. im looking for nice mean sound with little drone. anyone that can clear this up will be greatly appreciated.

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
We have the stock dual exhaust with the 18" Magnaflow installed.
Everything else is still stock, including the resonators.
When I start the truck it sounds a little like poking a tiger with a stick.

It is loud enough to turn heads, especially when accelerating, but not obnoxious.
My wife and I can have a normal conversation when driving.

Last edited: