Magnefine Filter for 8HP70

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Armkb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was wondering if anyone has installed a Magnefine filter in the cooler return line on a 8HP70 transmission.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Was wondering if anyone has installed a Magnefine filter in the cooler return line on a 8HP70 transmission.

When the Ford dealer put a new transmission in my old 2000 F-150 they put a Magnafine filter on it, and never told me. It was many many miles later that I was looking under the radiator and saw this funny-looking thing that had leaking transmission fluid on it, and I went on the internet to figure out what the heck it was. They should have told me they put it on and that it needs to be changed occasionally. That said, I think they do a great job, but because the Ram transmission is completely sealed, I see no reason to put one on.

In fact the reason I had to have a new transmission installed is because the dipstick came loose, and I didn't know it for a long time as fluid was leaking out, and dirt was getting in.

After the new transmission was on, about 70,000 miles later the dipstick came loose again. So frankly, I love the fact that the 8-speed is sealed with no dipstick!

After searching the internet, apparently there was a TSB to Ford dealers to put the Magnafine filter on when installing a new transmission, but they later rescinded that. It didn't come with it when I bought it new. I did order a new one and put it on, then drove the truck another 30,000 miles before engine was dying (300k miles), so I sold it as a fixer upper, and bought the Ram.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
When the Ford dealer put a new transmission in my old 2000 F-150 they put a Magnafine filter on it, and never told me. It was many many miles later that I was looking under the radiator and saw this funny-looking thing that had leaking transmission fluid on it, and I went on the internet to figure out what the heck it was. They should have told me they put it on and that it needs to be changed occasionally. That said, I think they do a great job, but because the Ram transmission is completely sealed, I see no reason to put one on.

In fact the reason I had to have a new transmission installed is because the dipstick came loose, and I didn't know it for a long time as fluid was leaking out, and dirt was getting in.

After the new transmission was on, about 70,000 miles later the dipstick came loose again. So frankly, I love the fact that the 8-speed is sealed with no dipstick!

After searching the internet, apparently there was a TSB to Ford dealers to put the Magnafine filter on when installing a new transmission, but they later rescinded that. It didn't come with it when I bought it new. I did order a new one and put it on, then drove the truck another 30,000 miles before engine was dying (300k miles), so I sold it as a fixer upper, and bought the Ram.

The 8 speed isn't sealed like i think you're thinking.It still has a vent to allow for fluid expansion/contraction.If it was completely sealed tight,it would blow seals.The vent is on the top of the tranny with a hose that leads up towards the back side of the engine. On a high humidity day it can suck in moisture laden air after the transmission has been warmed up,then the truck is parked and the transmission cools back down.It'd be a miniscule amount though.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
The 8 speed isn't sealed like i think you're thinking.It still has a vent to allow for fluid expansion/contraction.If it was completely sealed tight,it would blow seals.The vent is on the top of the tranny with a hose that leads up towards the back side of the engine. On a high humidity day it can suck in moisture laden air after the transmission has been warmed up,then the truck is parked and the transmission cools back down.It'd be a miniscule amount though.

Yeah I know it has a vent tube, any component like a transfer case or transmission does, but it has a breather cap on it so it really shouldn't allow much in that doesn't belong. I just wouldn't want to put a Magnafine filter on it, especially after seeing how the one the dealer put on my Ford ended up leaking at the connections.

OP
OP
A

Armkb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know many transmission shops install a magnefine filter after a rebuild or replacement to capture particles from the transmission cooler.
Worked well on my previous Tacoma. But that had rubber hose connections between the cooler and solid transmission lines. Hence it was an easy install. Not so sure how to go about installing on a Ram.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I know many transmission shops install a magnefine filter after a rebuild or replacement to capture particles from the transmission cooler.
Worked well on my previous Tacoma. But that had rubber hose connections between the cooler and solid transmission lines. Hence it was an easy install. Not so sure how to go about installing on a Ram.

So the idea was because they were replacing the transmission they were afraid particles from the cooler deposited over the years would get into the new transmission? Maybe that was the reason they put it on mine. I actually haven't even looked at the lines on the Ram, so I don't know how it would be installed. But my old Ford did have a rubber hose return line that could be cut to install it.