Magnum 360 into a 1985 D100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brian hood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone! Im new to the forum and need a little help. Ive got a 1985 D100 with a great body on it and no power train. It was a slant 6 with an automatic truck from the factory. I do have a good running 2002 360 and a 5 Spd NV3500 from a low milage wrecked 1500. I have a manifold that will convert it into a carb set up ( I know injected is probably better but im not very good with wires and I didn't want to take on more than I can handle). My questions are as follows. What motor mounts will I need? Will I be able to use an older electronic ignition or should I buy a Petronix type set up? Is there any sort of conversion that I can buy that will convert the electronic speed sensor into an older style odometer so I can have a working MPH gauge? Can I use the flywheel that came with the truck or will I need a special FLYWHEEL? I got the pedal assembly from the 2002, will it be difficult to fab it into the !985 dash assembly? Should I use the accelerator linkage from the 2002 or would I be better off using the old 1985 assembly? The brake master cylinder seemed a bit larger on the 2002 than on my 1985. Since it is matched to the 2002 pedal assembly should I use the 2002 booster and cylinder? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Brian

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I can help with some of the questions:

the motor mounts (rubber ones) will be for an 85 318/360. you will however need the mount brackets that are way different compared to the 2002. this is about as close as you can get with the brackets, you'll have to a little modification. or go to a pick and pull, V-8 brackets from 72-93 will be useable.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Trans+Dapt/9...MI0cuPqrOt5wIVRhitBh1lDA27EAQYCiABEgIvr_D_BwE

I think the speedo will be an issue. over on some of the GM boards, guys that use the NV3500 haven't come up with a conversion method to go from electronic back to mechanical. you might need a new speedo gauge.

if the engine and trans came off the same truck, I'd say your fly wheel should not need changing.

pedal assembly, you'll be way better off sourcing a set from the first gen rams. incidentally, I have a set you can have if you want, I can ship to you for free (you cover shipping). I have the entire assembly but the linkage rod is a little worn. This will lead into your master cylinder question, that would have to go with which pedal set up you use. the 72-93 masters will work with the gen 1 pedals. but if you use the 2002 pedals, as long as the booster and master clear, there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

brian hood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am confused by your link to big block motor mounts. My 360 is a small block. Will the big block mounts work?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I can help with some of the questions:

the motor mounts (rubber ones) will be for an 85 318/360. you will however need the mount brackets that are way different compared to the 2002. this is about as close as you can get with the brackets, you'll have to a little modification. or go to a pick and pull, V-8 brackets from 72-93 will be useable.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Trans+Dapt/9...MI0cuPqrOt5wIVRhitBh1lDA27EAQYCiABEgIvr_D_BwE

I think the speedo will be an issue. over on some of the GM boards, guys that use the NV3500 haven't come up with a conversion method to go from electronic back to mechanical. you might need a new speedo gauge.

if the engine and trans came off the same truck, I'd say your fly wheel should not need changing.

pedal assembly, you'll be way better off sourcing a set from the first gen rams. incidentally, I have a set you can have if you want, I can ship to you for free (you cover shipping). I have the entire assembly but the linkage rod is a little worn. This will lead into your master cylinder question, that would have to go with which pedal set up you use. the 72-93 masters will work with the gen 1 pedals. but if you use the 2002 pedals, as long as the booster and master clear, there shouldn't be a problem.
I have done this swap many times into many different Mopar vehicles. I am certain you would be happier if you used the stock fuel injection. It so simple to hook up.

If you do go the carb route any small block Mopar distributor will work. For the fuel system you will have to use an electric fuel pump because the Magnum timing cover does not have the provisions for the mechanical fuel pump nor does it have the cam eccentric to actuate the arm on the mechanical fuel pump.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am confused by your link to big block motor mounts. My 360 is a small block. Will the big block mounts work?

it won't be exact but from general appearance, they are about as close as you're going to get outside of a full on custom mounting bracket. you'll probably have to modify the BB brackets but its a good start. Other than that, go to a picknpull and yank some brackets off a 72 - 93 dodge truck with a 360/5.9 motor.