Major electrical problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

Horscotta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes. So I tested the battery. It was reading 12.5 volts then I started it and it was ready 14.4? I believe. So the battery is fine. I’m taking it to a shop next week. So they can properly diagnose it. I was going to replace the throttle body unit but the only place I’ve found a good one is the dealership and it’s non refundable. It’s a $250 part so I’m gonna save that money and use it towards the diagnostic.

OP
OP
H

Horscotta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also checked wire harnesses, alternator, alternator wires, and all that tested well and looked completely fine. I’m still only getting codes for the throttle/pedal sensor. (Low voltage)
P2122
P2127
The truck starts fine. Runs fine. I just have very weak pedal response.
I bought a whole new gas pedal from AutoZone, and when I installed it, my rpms shot up immediately and the error codes didn’t go away so I returned it and put back the original pedal.

HDRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you put the original headlights back in?

OP
OP
H

Horscotta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No. I haven’t had original headlights in them in a while. I took out the LED’s and started it but I was still getting the same error codes and engine light/ electrical light

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
horses and water

OP
OP
H

Horscotta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update:
Trucks now at the dealer. They swapped out the whole gas pedal and the issue is still there. They are further diagnosing the problem

OP
OP
H

Horscotta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I now need a powertrain control module. Item from the dealership is on super back order. They don’t even know an ETA of when it will be available. Anyone know where I can get a trustworthy one? Aka not eBay.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I now need a powertrain control module. Item from the dealership is on super back order. They don’t even know an ETA of when it will be available. Anyone know where I can get a trustworthy one? Aka not eBay.
A closing fix on this ?

OP
OP
H

Horscotta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Mister Luck
No. I’m still having problems. I’m going to swap about headlight bulbs and turn signal bulbs that I swapped for LED’s. I’ll comment back when I get my findings.

Im still getting a bunch of codes but the truck itself is running completely fine.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
OP
OP
H

Horscotta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just put in the new LED’s (with a higher wattage output ) and all codes went away. We’ll see if that actually fixed the problem when I drive to work tomorrow!

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So far so good with higher wattage headlights!
It might not be the higher wattage that fixed it. Some of the cheaper LED headlights put high frequency noise on the DC line which could cause false codes. Better quality LEDs have better "filters" on their driver circuits. Years ago I had a Grand Cherokee WJ that I bought cheap ones for and it put a lot of noise on the radio. Bought better LEDs and problem solved.
You get what you paid for.

OP
OP
H

Horscotta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lesson learned! It did cause my pcm to fail though, and my throttle position sensor. Unless it was just a coincidence but yeah. Damn cheap bulbs caused all these issues! Thanks to everyone who chimed in! Appreciate your help