Major shake in AWD & 4X4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you can drive with the front driveshaft removed so take it off and try driving it to see if the shaking goes away.

Replacing the transfer case was a little extreme :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I think you can drive with the front driveshaft removed so take it off and try driving it to see if the shaking goes away.

You can actually drive them with everything out of the front end ,that includes front diff/ front axles/front driveshaft etc.,as long as you unbolt and leave the front diff actuator plugged in and leave the truck in 2wd mode.Mines been running around for 3 years with-out the front diff/front axles and front driveshaft in place.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can actually drive them with everything out of the front end ,that includes front diff/ front axles/front driveshaft etc.,as long as you unbolt and leave the front diff actuator plugged in and leave the truck in 2wd mode.Mines been running around for 3 years with-out the front diff/front axles and front driveshaft in place.

I should try that to see if it eliminates my "vibration under light acceleration at 2K RPM" then tell the dealer "its something in the front end, call me when its fixed" lol

Yukonbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I had issues w/ 2005 1500. Bad vibrations above 45 mph. Off-Road shop soaked me for front axle hub. Turned out to be bad u-joint. When ever you change driveline parts it’s important to properly align driveshaft. If vibration wasn’t there before Transfer replacement, it could be spline on driveshaft is worn. One of those parts often neglected. Post your fix.

OP
OP
Scott L

Scott L

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 1998
Engine
HEMI & 5.9
I’ll post how it went when I get it looked at for sure. I have had this vibration for quite some time. Well before the T case and even before the replacement of the axels, etc.
driveshaft is next to check. Thanks

OP
OP
Scott L

Scott L

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 1998
Engine
HEMI & 5.9

transfer case was replaced for a different issue. We were just hoping it also fixed this but no luck. Going to have driveshaft looked at

dgibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sometimes tires do not play together well. I suspect your tires are the culprit. Be it tread pattern or inside belt arrangements. I would find another set of tires to try maybe from a friends truck.

OP
OP
Scott L

Scott L

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 1998
Engine
HEMI & 5.9
I’ve had this issue for a long time and have gone through a set without any change. Definitely not the tires. I’m pretty confident it will be the driveshaft. Going in next Tuesday to be checked

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have this exact problem. Started as soon as I put the leveling kit on. Only does it while under heavy acceleration and smooths out while just driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I’ve had this issue for a long time and have gone through a set without any change. Definitely not the tires. I’m pretty confident it will be the driveshaft. Going in next Tuesday to be checked

Hello Scott,
Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If further assistance is needed, we are just a private message away.
Laura
RamCares

Mike Garvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your front drive shaft is out of phase meaning your u-joints are not in line to each other. Also be sounds like c-v joint center ball & socket are worn out.

OP
OP
Scott L

Scott L

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 1998
Engine
HEMI & 5.9
UPDATE: Replaced ujoint, no luck. Mechanic says there is a very small amount of play in the front of shaft. Really don’t want to spend $500 on a new drive shaft.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As others have stated. Time to start taking things off and test driving.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Last edited: