Manual transfer case lever won't move

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nsherman2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2003 Ram 4.7L V8 with an automatic transmission and a manual transfer case. Relevant info:

-The truck was in 4HI when I test drove the truck about a month ago and drove fine

-The truck was in 2WD when I picked it up a few days later and noticed that the transfer case wouldn't shift

-The truck sat until a few days ago, started up and runs fine, transfer case lever still won't budge

-After trying to shift for a while, the linkage bushings wore out and the linkage fell out. The lever then moved freely.

-I tried to replace it with a turnbuckle and bolts, as found on this website, but the lever is back to not moving at all. The shift fork from the transfer case did not move (with moderate pressure applied), when the linkage was removed

Questions:

-Should the transfer case be able to be shifted directly from the fork with the linkage removed? If so, how much force can I apply to that to try to get it moving? Is this fork something that can/should be lubricated?

-Is there anything that I can service to try to get this to shift without removing/splitting the transfer case?

-Can I apply heat to this shift fork to try to get it freed without risking damaging components?

Thanks!

-Neal

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you rolling while trying to shift in to 4WD?

4 wheel high you can do under 55mph, 55 top speed when in 4 hi.
4 wheel low you should be rolling to engage it, low speed only in 4 low.

That's how I remember it. If I'm wrong, somebody will show up soon and correct me. :)

OP
OP
N

Nsherman2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've tried moving slow, moving fast, coasting in drive, coasting in neutral, stopped in neutral, and stopped in park. The lever doesn't budge in any of these situations

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you contacted the previous owner? Sounds like he got it to work, somehow.

I wouldn't force anything. Can always take it to a shop and get an estimate for repair, you may get more info that way.

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
you stated once it moved when it all fell apart,, remove all the linkage and see about getting it to move again that way ,,then see if you do get it to move if so see if its actually in 4wd , I am not real familiar with your setup but check the shift fork to see if binding or bent,,check oil level in case

OP
OP
N

Nsherman2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I work at a tech school so I brought it into the automotive department. They agree with my conclusion that it doesn't appear to be any sort of external corrosion and that there's something internal to the transfer case preventing it from shifting.

It's an NP241 transfer case. Any idea what could be causing it to not shift, and whether it would be rebuildable? I do't mind dropping the transfer case, but I'd rather not if it's a futile exercise, as the truck is working fine in 2WD right now.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi Magnum 5.7
If 4wd is a big issue for you, I would suggest just buying a new transfer case. I feel like in most situations it would be cheaper to buy a new transfer case than to try to fix your stock one