Max Care

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Hello. I am going to be purchasing a new-to-me 2019 RAM 2500 Longhorn CTD SO in about a week (it is being shipped from Texas to Washington State). The truck has 46k miles on it. I am usually not a purchase-a-warranty kind of guy, but am considering it in this case. Partly since it is the diesel and I have never had a diesel before. What are your experiences with Max Care? What does it cost?
Thank you.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I bought mine online thru zieglers (google ram maxcare), it was a lot cheaper than thru the dealer. Its all the same warranty, except dealers online will sell them a much discounted rate. I dont drive mine many miles so I went with more years, instead of miles. Mine was a 8 year...60K and it was around $1200. Obviously if you drive alot, you would opt for less time and more mileage coverage. Oh and the older your used truck, with more miles, the price for the warranty does escalate. My truck only had 8K miles used.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, the Carfax is clean. Thank you for the heads up.
MAXCARE good warranties but sometimes U gotta fight and dealer has to fight ref Coverage. As long as U R sure TX truck not a flood vehicle, U be OK. BTW, TX truck will HAVE no undercoating protection. INSURE you get it either Sprayed with KROWN or FLUID FILM before the winter.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm not sure you can get the MaxCare still since you're outside the original bumper-to-bumper warranty (3/36, right?).

I also generally shy away from warranties but these trucks are really expensive to work on. If you do buy it I agree to shop around. I went with Ziegler in 2014 and was happy. I paid $2200 for a Lifetime MaxCare (not offered anymore) and I've gotten close to 20K work out of (engine replacement, tranny rebuild, exhaust manifold bolts and Nav system/radio).

brian42

Military
Reaction score
You can still get a MaxCare warranty. Anything outside the basic warranty is an Extended Service Plan (ESP) no matter what you call it.

There is a new vehicle MaxCare ESP (bought during the vehicles basic warranty period) and a used vehicle MaxCare ESP (bought after the basic warranty has expired).

Make sure you check the prices for the used vehicle ESP. I think the coverage is the same (or close to it) but there is a big price difference between the two.

I bought mine during the basic warranty period and got the 7 yrs | unlimited miles | $100 deductible policy and got more than the $3K I paid for it (plus a pro-rated return when I sold the truck).

I'd use Zeigler (https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/warranty_plans/default.aspx?plan_id=2020) as a starting point to price some plans then contact some others you find in other threads to see who is the lowest.

I used Zeigler for mine as they were within $50 of the cheapest and I was dealing with a dealership, not a singular person (someone always answered the phone when I called).

Looks like Zeigler is offering $1200 off and they might knock off more if you call them. There are usually coupons to apply depending on if you are paying it al up front or financing for 12 months.

With the discount prices don't look too bad. Sure it's a good chunk for peace of mind but vehicles are expensive to repair these days, plus it's an HD truck (everything's more expensive on one...I had one for 11 years), plus it's a diesel (which is even more added expense for repairs).

Last edited:

2019Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
I got a new to me 2019 Ram 1500 with 39,000 miles. Looking at Max Care Extended Service Plan as well. Got a couple of quotes from online.
https://chryslerwarrantydirect.com and https://jeepfactorywarranty.com/. They are both pretty comparible within $100 for a 5yr/75k plan.

are these websites legitimate? anyone have any experience with them?

One site told me they need a inspection, the other said they don't.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I got a new to me 2019 Ram 1500 with 39,000 miles. Looking at Max Care Extended Service Plan as well. Got a couple of quotes from online.
https://chryslerwarrantydirect.com and https://jeepfactorywarranty.com/. They are both pretty comparible within $100 for a 5yr/75k plan.

are these websites legitimate? anyone have any experience with them?

One site told me they need a inspection, the other said they don't.
When I bought my warrant on line I did not need to have it inspected but then it only had 1000 miles on it

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I can vouch for the chryslerwarrantydirect site. I have not seen the Jeep one before but it looks legit; I was only searching a few places for my ESP.

With a new vehicle ESP I do not know of any inspection as it overlaps your basic warranty.

I could see it both ways for a used vehicle ESP - make sure it's in good shape before activating the ESP or just activating the ESP and the service department can pretty much determine what you did, what should be fixed, and how long it's been a problem.

I would call to verify the reason for the inspection.

Last edited:

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
The last Max Care warranty I purchased was right before my original warranty was up. No issue, just ponied up the $$ and done.
I inquired about if I was passed the basic 3/36,000 warranty, and I was told that the truck would need to be inspected and certified by a dealership first. If there was something that needed to be repaired, it would have to be done first, payable by the owner. After inspection/certification is done, then you can buy the Chrysler warranty of your choice. Prices do creep up as the truck (or car) gets older.
I never bought any extended warranties before, but I did on my 2018 Ram 2500 Limited Diesel. It’s very hard to fix and diagnose some issues that may come up, plus it’s very expensive just to start throwing parts at it.
All my life I’ve done most of my own wrenching, but the vehicles built today are much more complicated with the computer integrated controls. It all works really great, UNTIL, it doesn’t!