Maxwell engine start module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrailRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone added a maxwell engine start module to their truck. I know they are primarily targeted for class 8 trucks but since they can improve the life of batteries and are easy to jump start was wondering if they might be a good add. As I understand it you would take out one battery and replace it with the start module or find another location to install the module so you can keep current batteries.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Just my opinion but for $800 I can buy 2 new batteries every 4-5 years for at least the next 15 years.

OP
OP
TrailRider

TrailRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the biggest plus is when you have a lot of load on your batteries when the truck is shut off overnight so your regular batteries could get drawn down maybe to the point there is not enough juice to start the truck. The module is only attached to the starter so you can start your truck even if the other batteries have been drawn down.

SamOwen_Universal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Has anyone added a maxwell engine start module to their truck. I know they are primarily targeted for class 8 trucks but since they can improve the life of batteries and are easy to jump start was wondering if they might be a good add. As I understand it you would take out one battery and replace it with the start module or find another location to install the module so you can keep current batteries.
Let me start off by saying they discontinued the maxwell start module a while back. There are places online that say they sell it but when you place an order they cancel it immediately. Theres a company called Skelstart which is making them now but they are $1350 (Inflation sucks). I think if you have a diesel ram truck it's not a bad investment. What they do is a couple things. They take the brunt of the load by powering your alternator and starter directly when starting the truck which typically puts more strain on your batteries than anything else. This is why your battery life doubles when using a module. Another thing that benefits is your starter and alternator life span. This happens because when your batteries don't have adequate charge to start your truck your starter and alternator need to compensate by cranking more. more cranking = more wear.

Long story short, completely up to you. I think they are pretty good but I also need them for long haul towing where deadlines are important. If I wake up in the morning and my truck is dead, so is my bank account.