May be getting my 1st Ram soon... figured I'd pre-empt it by registering.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Hey all, newb to this forum, not new to forums or autmotive DIY at all.

Long story short, I might be trading my car for a 2nd Gen Ram. Figured I'd register and see what I can learn ahead of time. Thanks for all those who've posted info about the plenum pan problem. That's already been a big help. So far I've already identified that issue on the truck and I haven't even driven it yet.

Here's a few pics on what I'm looking at. She's no cream puff, but for a straight-up trade with a '00 Chrysler 300m, I'll be real happy with it. Of course, it has the infamous dash problem... in that it's so bad that the upper dash is GONE. As long as it doesn't leave me stranded though, I'll be happy.

2001 Dodge Ram extended cab 2wd 318 auto.

received_1691963927505483.jpeg

received_1691963747505501.jpeg

received_1691963917505484.jpeg

received_1691963977505478.jpeg

received_1691963987505477.jpeg

Just waiting to hear back from the owner. He originally promised to give the truck to his wife's cousin for his first vehicle, but he's got his eye on a Ford Ranger. If the kid gets the ranger, we're trading.

Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Basslicks

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Thanks, guys.

Not a done deal yet, but the owner is actually a co-worker of mine. He messaged me today and told me, "We are a go". So the only detail to iron out now is when. So, as long as there are no monkey wrenches, I should be an official Ram Truck Owner in less than 2 weeks (gotta wait on payday to be able to tag it).

I'm sure I'll read more about common issues and whatnot, but if you guys have any imminent "heads up" advice or tips, please feel free!

Can't wait!

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Good luck with the trade and welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Thanks, guys.

Not a done deal yet, but the owner is actually a co-worker of mine. He messaged me today and told me, "We are a go". So the only detail to iron out now is when. So, as long as there are no monkey wrenches, I should be an official Ram Truck Owner in less than 2 weeks (gotta wait on payday to be able to tag it).

I'm sure I'll read more about common issues and whatnot, but if you guys have any imminent "heads up" advice or tips, please feel free!

Can't wait!

Welcome to the forum bud. My only advice is to research the **** out of it before you buy it. I didn’t do my do diligence so I bought the most undesirable engine possible and a split year truck, big mistake but I know now.

OP
OP
Basslicks

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Thanks guys. Deal is being solidified tomorrow afternoon.

Truck is a 2001, motor is a 5.2 liter, and it's 2wd. I just recently sold my 4wd XJ and plan on getting a ZJ or another XJ next year, so I really don't need 4wd in the truck - especially being a DD.

Needs an ac compressor clutch for the ac to blow cold and it needs a new dash. He literally replaced every other component for the AC trying to get it to work then realized it was the clutch. He also replaced the entire cooling system and every gasket and seal in the truck except the plenum gasket.... so I've got that job ahead of me.

Truck has 203k miles on it, but has been well-maintained. The only cosmetic flaw on the interior is the spot you can see in the pics on the bed and lower rear door quarter, which the PO attempted to repair on his own. I've actually found a bed the same color at LKQ here in Gainesville, so I might just pick up the new bed instead of screwing with the body work.... still have some to do on the door, but not nearly as much. I believe the tires are relatively new as well.

The current owner of the truck is a coworker of mine and his wife was driving it.... so he went through and made sure the thing wasn't going to break down on her while she was driving it back and forth to work every day.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good deal - welcome to.the Forum!

Lots of info & guys here with a ton of experience on the 2nd hen Rams ...good luck with your truck Sir !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Basslicks

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Thanks!

Well, the deal was solidified today, guys.

I'm the official owner of this 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd. She's nothing special. Manual windows and locks, no tilt, no cruise, 1-piece rear window, and the paint needs a real good amount of attention.... but I love it. The interior is in great shape aside from the dash. I was actually shocked. If the dash wasn't broke to all hell, you'd think it was a brand new interior. Unfortunately, the upper frame for the dash is broken as well, so just buying a new upper from LMC is not an option.

Truck has dual exhaust - straight piped.... so it's a bit loud and poppy for my taste. I think I'll throw a pair of super 10's or super 40's on there to give it a little more resonance.

The transmission shifts good and SOLID. You can feel it kick into 3rd, 4th, and the tq converter doesn't hesitate to lock up either. In fact, I don't know if these things use a TV cable, but I'd like to get it adjusted so it doesn't shift so early.

It DEFINITELY needs the plenum gasket done. Puffs smoke when you take off and doesn't have the power I'd expect from a 5.2 liter. Guess I'll take care of the AC compressor and the plenum at the same time since I'll already have it off.

Current mileage on the truck is 201,***. Honestly, for that amount of miles and trading a car I paid $900 for, I made out like a bandit.