Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

streettruck57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So looking on the Mcgaughy's website, they offer 2 different 2/4 kits for the rams. 1 kit comes with spindles and the other with front lowering coils. I'm wondering which kit would be a better option to lower a 4x4 truck?

Does the spindle kit retain the factory shocks and springs? I'm wondering if I would be able to run coilovers in the front with this kit.

Also, I'm looking to combine the kit with a set of upper and lower control arms from Michigan Metal Works. I haven't spoken to them yet, but it seems like their kit will fit a lowered truck.

I would also like to retain factory sway bar level in the front and rear, or just replace the sway bar and end-links completely with an aftermarket setup so if anyone knows a good choice, please recommend.

Finally, I would like to redo or add a custom 4-link to the rear at some point, but for now does anyone know of a good replacement for the control arms and panhard rod to save factory caster and pinion angle? I'm worried about the axle moving forward and pointing up when dropping it 4in.

In all, my end goal for my quad cab 4x4 is to sit low, handle extremely well and go fast. I know those goals are normally for the 2x4 guys but I wanna do something a little different so any advice and help would be really appreciated :)

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So looking on the Mcgaughy's website, they offer 2 different 2/4 kits for the rams. 1 kit comes with spindles and the other with front lowering coils. I'm wondering which kit would be a better option to lower a 4x4 truck?

Does the spindle kit retain the factory shocks and springs? I'm wondering if I would be able to run coilovers in the front with this kit.

Also, I'm looking to combine the kit with a set of upper and lower control arms from Michigan Metal Works. I haven't spoken to them yet, but it seems like their kit will fit a lowered truck.

I would also like to retain factory sway bar level in the front and rear, or just replace the sway bar and end-links completely with an aftermarket setup so if anyone knows a good choice, please recommend.

Finally, I would like to redo or add a custom 4-link to the rear at some point, but for now does anyone know of a good replacement for the control arms and panhard rod to save factory caster and pinion angle? I'm worried about the axle moving forward and pointing up when dropping it 4in.

In all, my end goal for my quad cab 4x4 is to sit low, handle extremely well and go fast. I know those goals are normally for the 2x4 guys but I wanna do something a little different so any advice and help would be really appreciated :)
I have this kit on my 03 and the spindles do retain the stock shocks and springs. The shocks do have to be upgraded to a sport shocks to keep from bottoming out though.
Your 2012 has all springs all the way around though if I'm not mistaken, so it's a different set-up.

OP
OP
S

streettruck57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have this kit on my 03 and the spindle do retain the stock shocks and springs. The shocks do have to be upgraded to a sport shock to keep from bottoming out though.
okay sweet, that leaves me with a lot of options for some nice coilovers

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
is your '03 a 4x4? If the spindle kit is meant for the stock length struts then i shouldnt have a problem buying a coilover kit meant for stock height.
No, mines 2 wheel drive. They're some threads of guys doing the 4x4 lowering on here that should be helpful though.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I run dropped spindles on my 4X4,had a front spring drop on my old truck and hated it.The drop spindles will move the wheels out roughly 3/8" though.I had mine machined 0.650" which moved the wheels back in,so they're actually slightly narrower then with the OEM spindles,but if I was doing it over again i'd only have them narrowed a 1/2" at most.You reuse the stock struts,and everything should wheel align right to factory specs

OP
OP
S

streettruck57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run dropped spindles on my 4X4,had a front spring drop on my old truck and hated it.The drop spindles will move the wheels out roughly 3/8" though.I had mine machined 0.650" which moved the wheels back in,so they're actually slightly narrower then with the OEM spindles,but if I was doing it over again i'd only have them narrowed a 1/2" at most.You reuse the stock struts,and everything should wheel align right to factory specs
are u talking about the face of the spindle that the hub and bearing mount to? also what's the rest of your front setup like?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
are u talking about the face of the spindle that the hub and bearing mount to? also what's the rest of your front setup like?
In regards to what,there is no aftermarket swaybar for the 4X4's if that's what you're referring to.Spindle face is narrowed along with caliper bracket to move the caliper back into spec.I don't do pic's on here join one of these facebook pages if you're not on them,and I can post pics for you if you want to see the truck.I run 295/50/20's on the front and the inside of the tires just barely rub the swaybar at full lock.
Rick Wildman

https://www.facebook.com/groups/930...00988252790&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

https://www.facebook.com/groups/527...d=1531443817609506&notif_t=group_r2j_approved

https://www.facebook.com/groups/152...ed_to_group&notif_id=1479683479543351&qsefr=1

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I forgot about it poking the fronts out a little. I solved my problem with wheel spacers on the back. Good point Wild one, his remedy is much smarter too.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah I forgot about it poking the fronts out a little. I solved my problem with wheel spacers on the back. Good point Wild one, his remedy is much smarter too.

Noticably more expensive though,lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Any tire to upper fender lip rubbing?

Who are you talking to Tom? If you clic on the quote icon in the bottom right corner of a post,you can quote the post you're requiring an answer to.

TOMZILLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who are you talking to Tom? If you clic on the quote icon in the bottom right corner of a post,you can quote the post you're requiring an answer to.

Yep forgot to hit quote. Anyway would be a question for Tray and his Ram. Looking to see if the tires make contact with the fender arches under heavy compression.