MDS....Did you turn it off or leave it on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I can never tell when it's active. Mine is a 2019 1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stock exhaust? Stock exhaust its way less noticeable. It never bothered me before neither.
Until I could really hear my exhaust.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Never bothered me until I added the Magnaflow catback, then the MDS is annoying. Thinking of a Pulsar so no more MDS. For now, manually shifting down to 8th gear.

Interesting. I added the 22" MF muffler only..welded in. Drone annoys me a bit. MDS not

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What gdawg said!!
2nd nature as soon as its out of park I start poking the gear selector buttons!
Mufflex magnaflow D18 makes MDS sound like a import with a fart can exhaust..lol as well as feels like it's struggling/sluggish

Doodoo972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I turned it off with a tune. The sound was horrible with the shorties and the SLP Loudmouth... and as some people already said : I paid for a V8 and I want my 8 cylinders to do their job all the time. If I had cared about mpg I would have bought another car.

2012FlameRed1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
stock exhaust? Stock exhaust its way less noticeable. It never bothered me before neither.
Until I could really hear my exhaust.

^^^
For me it was this as well. It never really bothered me until i switched to a Borla muffler. I couldnt stand the exhaust note when it was on... sounded like a loud import car exhaust note...so I went into the tune and turned it off.

Billyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 ram 1500
Engine
this is a copy of a post i put up not too long ago on how i feel about MDS

"speaking just specifically from a "design" point of view, the MDS is a very intelligent concept.
However, from a purist or connoisseur's perspective, it's a complete and utter sacrilege to the HEMI's character. i myself absolutely LOATHE the MDS. I'll even bet the SRT engineers silently wept among themselves while putting those abominations (collapsible lifters) into a motor with such a revered heritage.
i have a pulsar and i still run my truck in "8" on the steering wheel. i have been doing it so long its natural. i paid for a V8- i demand all 8."

NorZeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I leave mine on (for now). I struggled to tell it was even on with stock exhaust.

With my Borla ProXS on, I can tell when it kicks in, but it does not annoy me at all.

I've seen some claims that it actually has been giving some guys worse MPG, so I am considering trying to do a test to see how my MPG compares between MDS on/off. I like to play in my truck, but doesn't hurt to try to get the best MPG I can while playing being it is my DD :)

hemili8r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never bothered me until I added the Magnaflow catback, then the MDS is annoying. Thinking of a Pulsar so no more MDS. For now, manually shifting down to 8th gear.
I've seen videos about the mds and although you can save fuel but with it off you can save your engine.
I purchased the pulsar on my 2017 ram and with the 4 performance modes you have the option on or off ...I totally recommend the pulsar.
d60082fba27fd5803c8e637dd195dbfa.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I've seen videos about the mds and although you can save fuel but with it off you can save your engine.
I purchased the pulsar on my 2017 ram and with the 4 performance modes you have the option on or off ...I totally recommend the pulsar.d60082fba27fd5803c8e637dd195dbfa.jpg

Yes I think that's exactly what I'm needing!

hemili8r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I think that's exactly what I'm needing!
You will love it graygoose I installed in 30 minutes and it really jumps also incase you didnt know it's all controllable on the fly using the cruise control buttons ...easy

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yes Ive read a ton, I really wanna get rid of the MDS, and 25-30HP would be nice.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i had the pulsar, while the HP is noticable doesnt compare to a custom tune. sold my pulsar and went the custom route. also went from 12.5 mpg to 15.2 with mds off. the biggest perfomance gain to me was in the tranny.

hemili8r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i had the pulsar, while the HP is noticable doesnt compare to a custom tune. sold my pulsar and went the custom route. also went from 12.5 mpg to 15.2 with mds off. the biggest perfomance gain to me was in the tranny.
I had a hand held tuner for my charger and liked it also but I like the convenience of on the fly changing which by the way is updatable for custom tunes aswell I just have to get the cable when tunes are available.
Had them both and both work well!

NorZeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I purchased the pulsar on my 2017 ram and with the 4 performance modes you have the option on or off ...I totally recommend the pulsar.
d60082fba27fd5803c8e637dd195dbfa.jpg

I've been debating the pulsar. Initially it was hard to find many things about it, or everyone was saying hold out for a custom tune...

I've had canned tunes on my last 2 vehicles and could tell a huge difference on them..

You guys might just convince me yet to get a pulsar :).. just need to convince the wife it's needed then

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a hand held tuner for my charger and liked it also but I like the convenience of on the fly changing which by the way is updatable for custom tunes aswell I just have to get the cable when tunes are available.
Had them both and both work well!

what do you need to change on the fly?, i have the PC also which is nice cause the wife doesnt like to do burnouts at every stoplight cause shes not use to touchy pedal, so i can adjust that down to city mode for her........ the kids say mommy drives crazy and does burnouts

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilo670