Might be a dumb question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
While cleaning up my wheels and tires with the rotors and brakes still hot, they started smoking when I sprayed water on them. Now I know that might lead to warped rotors, so I tried to avoid spraying them after that.

What got me to thinking though is, we all wash our trucks at car washes from time to time and don't allow them to cool down at all before washing commences. My question is, doesn't that warp rotors? Or does it take ALOT of spraying cool water on hot rotors to make that happen?

I know it might sound dumb, but I've never thought of this before... lol

Anyone know?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I suppose if they were red hot or orange you might be able to change the metalurgy by cold quenching. That could cause them to warp.

Incidental spraying is no different than say, going through a mud puddle or flooded curb. Warpage usually is caused by several high heat cycles with slow cooling

OP
OP
ramthis9501

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
I just figured since hot metal was being cooled down real fast, that might do it. But good to know that it won't

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
no, it shouldn't, i wash down my lawn mower after i get mowing, to get that nasty ass wet grass off of it. well i let it sit for a couple minutes then do it.

your rotors shouldn't be warped, if they are, i need a new lawn mower

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Remember that the steel has already been heat treated and the low temps you experience in braking heat do not come close to close to what is needed to realign the molecular structure of the steel if it is quenched.

Yer good to go.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes - I don't know the temperatures off the top of my head, but it's far greater than you can get your rotors during normal driving.

Not a stupid question at all... the really stupid questions are from people who don't ponder such things.

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
Warped rotors can be cause by many things. Incorrect torque on the lug nuts, riding the brakes over a long period of time i.e. pike's peek, or not installing the pads/caliper right. The only way to warp them with water would be to ride your brakes till they glow red them submerg them in cold water instantly. Can be done but you would have to try really hard, or have some REALLY bad luck LOL.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Warped rotors can be cause by many things. Incorrect torque on the lug nuts, riding the brakes over a long period of time i.e. pike's peek, or not installing the pads/caliper right. The only way to warp them with water would be to ride your brakes till they glow red them submerg them in cold water instantly. Can be done but you would have to try really hard, or have some REALLY bad luck LOL.

Or drive your truck a few laps at Martinsville.