Mix Match ICON V.S. 2.5 and Bilstein 5160?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobertRay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ordered the recommended Bilstein 6112 / 5160 leveling kit from Amazon sellers showing them in stock, but only the 5160's were delivered and the 6112's were later canceled and money refunded.

I contacted Bilstein and was replied the 6112's are still in production but due to parts will not ship to resellers until late December. (when they say that, it could actually mean March 2019 or so)

The restocking fee for the 5160's is exorbitant, so I was thinking of just installing the Bils in the back and get the Icon V.S 2.5's for the front. I has thought of getting the 5100's for the front but a friend said if I put a brush bumper on, the weight might sag my leveling back to rake, so I want to avoid that.

Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Robert

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I ordered the recommended Bilstein 6112 / 5160 leveling kit from Amazon sellers showing them in stock, but only the 5160's were delivered and the 6112's were later canceled and money refunded.

I contacted Bilstein and was replied the 6112's are still in production but due to parts will not ship to resellers until late December. (when they say that, it could actually mean March 2019 or so)

The restocking fee for the 5160's is exorbitant, so I was thinking of just installing the Bils in the back and get the Icon V.S 2.5's for the front. I has thought of getting the 5100's for the front but a friend said if I put a brush bumper on, the weight might sag my leveling back to rake, so I want to avoid that.

Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Robert

I think you’ll want a stiffer spring. The spring is what will set the height, so if you add weight you’ll want a stiffer spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'll have no issues other than a set of shocks in the back that won't be able to match the performance of the fronts if you'll be tackling dirt roads at speed. the 5100 series from Bilstein weren't meant for racing, they're conventional street shocks with a little more sportier valving for SUV's and trucks. 5160's is the same shock with a reservoir and a slighty different valving. If you're serious about being able to offroad in dirt trails at speed, then Hi performace race shocks are for you, 5160's are not close to being race shocks, 6112's are a step up from 5160's technology, but they're still no match for any 2.5 Hi peforrmance coilovers. If you haven't experienced the feel and quality of Performance shocks in the dirt, you'll be highly amazed once you toss the truck down any dirt trail out there, you only need to adjust the collar to set them at a desired height/compensate for weight, often 0-3", manufacturers also have different coil spring rates to accomodate extra weight if needed, and if you wanted, you can also have valving adjusters to suite your extra needs. it really comes down to the type of driving you'll be doing with the truck. Some people will never need race shocks unless they want to spend the money on them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RobertRay

RobertRay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't need to race, but I do want to pull a Jumpingjack/RZR up logging roads at better than a crawl, and take the pontoon down 30 miles of twisty washboard along the snake. I ordered the 6112's because of the beefier spring and strut with it's ability to hold a heavy bumper over the roads I travel, and they recommended the 5160's as a match for the rear. What I did not count on was getting the rears, but not the fronts that I really wanted.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I think its going to come down to how much you want to spend. The Icons will give you the ability to customize your ride a little but the price tag shy's a lot of weekend warriors away. I went with the eibach pro truck kit and for the money I would recommend them over the Bilstein 5100's always. To be honest you can buy the eibachs with coil springs and when the 6112's are back in stock buy them and still not spend what the icons cost. I don't have any experience with icons so I don't know if they are really worth it but I do have the eibachs that have a setting for heavy bumpers. And a buddy with a truck running the Bilstein 5100's

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Such a bummer the Bilsteins wont be available for that long! I was recently under the impression they would be shipping to retailers mid-late November...per a call in to Bilstein a few weeks ago. Hmmmm....

This Black Friday pressure has me really looking HARD at the Icon Stage 2...but dangit...$$$$

I was previously thinking the 6112s up front, then do the Icon 2.0 rear shocks and 1.5" rear coils in back and split the difference (performace/cost)

sigh

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Such a bummer the Bilsteins wont be available for that long! I was recently under the impression they would be shipping to retailers mid-late November...per a call in to Bilstein a few weeks ago. Hmmmm....

This Black Friday pressure has me really looking HARD at the Icon Stage 2...but dangit...$$$$

I was previously thinking the 6112s up front, then do the Icon 2.0 rear shocks and 1.5" rear coils in back and split the difference (performace/cost)

sigh
I feel your pain. It has me considering a credit card. I was looking at Icon STage 3, they have it almost $600 off the icon website. So tempting.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you guys miss out in the black Friday deals we still we be offering very good discounts on ICON. It may not be BF prices but will be a deep discount. Just a FYI in case you need to save up a little more cash.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

yousef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you guys miss out in the black Friday deals we still we be offering very good discounts on ICON. It may not be BF prices but will be a deep discount. Just a FYI in case you need to save up a little more cash.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sir i have some questions for you how can i send you a direct massege

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sir i have some questions for you how can i send you a direct massege

got your message and responded. We will get you set up! Thank you for reaching out

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bruiser in case you didn’t know the Icon 2.5 coilovers come standard with 650lbs springs so if you wanted to put some weight in the front courtesy of a heavy bumper with a winch etc, you shouldn’t have any prob doing so.