Mopar Bed Step

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBJRBJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8 MDS VVT eTorque Engine
On my 2021 RAM 1500 with RamBox and MFT, the bed step came installed to the right of the left exhaust pipe so you do not step up on the driver’s side but from behind the tailgate.BA22ABC0-C801-43E5-804D-A225567D94B0.jpeg

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

After having their Powerboards, I would never give them another cent of my money.
They do not stand before their product.

I went thru 3 sets of linkages on my dime because they would get bound up.
It was mentioned that the powder coat flakes off. What happens is that happens & the corrosion creeps into the pivots & expands and causes the bind. They don’t even make it thru 1 winter in Chicago.
And yes they were being cleaned & oiled, but depending on who you talk to at Bestop, 1 will tell you silicone spray, another WD40, another 3n1 oil.

I tried even pressing the pins out to no avail.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
After having their Powerboards, I would never give them another cent of my money.
They do not stand before their product.

I went thru 3 sets of linkages on my dime because they would get bound up.
It was mentioned that the powder coat flakes off. What happens is that happens & the corrosion creeps into the pivots & expands and causes the bind. They don’t even make it thru 1 winter in Chicago.
And yes they were being cleaned & oiled, but depending on who you talk to at Bestop, 1 will tell you silicone spray, another WD40, another 3n1 oil.

I tried even pressing the pins out to no avail.
Good info Thanks.
I have had mine about 3 years and so far survived Maine Winters with tons of liquid salt on the roads .
Man that crap gets everywhere !
Hope I never have to deal with their CS if they do not treat you right . Again Thanks for the heads up

any4xx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I love the idea of these foldaway steps, and may still opt for one down the road. But for now I have a $25.00 step ladder from Costco thrown in the bed. I like that I can use it to clean the windshield, access under the hood, and get into the bed from any side. If someone wants to steal it, so be it. I can afford to lose quite a few of them before I’m out the cost of the MOPAR step.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So any thoughts on comparing Mopar to AMP to Bestop?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Real nice, it is hell getting in the truck bed when I go to home depot, this is a must for old dudes. First time I seen the Mopar step.

not feeling the price though.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
So any thoughts on comparing Mopar to AMP to Bestop?
I never had the Amps steps but havethe OEM Fixed boards since 2016 or so. Love them, they are holding up well and really makes it a little easier for this old fart to get in and out of the RAM.. Plus I like the look :)

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
There is one thing that irritates me about the bed step, i have the actual Bed Step for Ecodiesels, it is still in the opened box.

The reason that it is still in the box, is because who ever designed the bedstep is trying to kill someone.

Why the hell does the Bedstep mount on the drivers side of the vehicle, you stand in traffic to lower & raise it, you slip or lose your balance when using the step & you get run over by some vehicle just casually driving down the road.
The bedstep should mount on the passenger side of the vehicle, where if anything happens, you would fall or stumble away from traffic
On the other hand because of the way a road slopes to the curb, if you're trying to climb up on the passenger side you're going to be climbing uphill.

I've had the AMP Research bed step on the driver side for over three years now, and I still absolutely love it. I haven't done any maintenance or anything to, just is very well-built. It's had a lot of use as well.

I'm normally parked on residential streets or in a driveway when I use it, and I've never had a problem with traffic.

By the way you could also say "why do they even put a door on the driver's side, you could trip going out the door into traffic" :eek:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am 78 & my bones & muscles are not even close to what they were when i was 70
There is no way that i would use a step back there on the drivers side, without a handle in the bed next to the tail light, that sticks up above the bed rails.

Just lately, i have troubles getting into the drivers seat, unless i can open the door fully, so it is somewhat braced.
At the hospital parking garages, people seem to park close, so i have to choose my parking spot carefully

I have looked at helpful devices to help get into the bed, have not found one for me

1631333165361.png

1631333324793.png

Khrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all

Just got my bed step installed. imo, it's not cheap but it's worth it.
For anyone interested here are the install pictures
1. Remove 3 nuts and bolts (keep 2)
2. Remove 2 bolts (do not re-use)
3. Add 'Y' bracket hand tight, install 2 bolts with loctite
4. Ensure y bracket is in correct place and install 2 bolts with loctite and reinstall 2 bolts that was removed at step one.
5. Line up step and install 2 bolts.

That's it. Again very happy and easy to get into the bed now.

View attachment 244893

View attachment 244894

View attachment 244895

View attachment 244896

View attachment 244901
Hey great pics...just what I've been looking for. I just bought a used bed step like that but no instructions. It looks easy enough with your pics but just wondering if you have a copy of the install instructions as well please?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Hey great pics...just what I've been looking for. I just bought a used bed step like that but no instructions. It looks easy enough with your pics but just wondering if you have a copy of the install instructions as well please?
You Tube and Google are your friend :) I have the Bestop step and love it !

Andy Richardson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great thread, I like the look of the Mopar bed step. Unfortunately it does not fit model year 2022. ☹️

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Great thread, I like the look of the Mopar bed step. Unfortunately it does not fit model year 2022. ☹️
Google is your friend ! and Check with Benny here ! I find the step very handy for this old fart lol

All Mopar Parts

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am 78 & my bones & muscles are not even close to what they were when i was 70
There is no way that i would use a step back there on the drivers side, without a handle in the bed next to the tail light, that sticks up above the bed rails.

Just lately, i have troubles getting into the drivers seat, unless i can open the door fully, so it is somewhat braced.
At the hospital parking garages, people seem to park close, so i have to choose my parking spot carefully

I have looked at helpful devices to help get into the bed, have not found one for me

View attachment 470559

View attachment 470560
How’s about a lift gate !

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't normally fill the bed with crushed Granite
But i did once, i laid a HD Tarp out & a guy with a tractor with a front loader dumped decomposed granite into the bed at an angle.
If he had dumped it directly down the center of the bed, i could have pulled the load out of the bed without climbing into the bed.

Normally i can lift anything off the bed, without getting in the bed

1644469302189.png

1644469492273.png

1644469637160.png

1644469830182.png

I had the aluminum tool box & tray custom built to fit under the tonneau cover

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Google is your friend ! and Check with Benny here ! I find the step very handy for this old fart lol

All Mopar Parts

I still just jump up on the tale gate with a two step ‍♂️ start !

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My jumping days are over :O The one time I did jump was when I spilled HOT coffee in my lap lol

Morning all. A warm 41* so far :)
#1 son is getting better each day :)
Now off to the sand pile to grab a few buckets of sand for my driveway :O Glad the town has the sand pile for tax payers :)

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My jumping days are over :O The one time I did jump was when I spilled HOT coffee in my lap lol

Morning all. A warm 41* so far :)
#1 son is getting better each day :)
Now off to the sand pile to grab a few buckets of sand for my driveway :O Glad the town has the sand pile for tax payers :)
Truth be told, my jumping days are over also. I have to grab the side of the bed and step on the edge of the bumper these days. The knees aren’t what they used to be.