Mopar CAI and Ram Air Duct/Functional Hood scoops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, just like with a cold air intake, you’re really not gonna notice a whole lot just from that. You’d have to do quite a few, pretty heavy motor mods before giving your intake that much more air is gonna help.

I would just like the idea of giving my motor the coldest air possible from hood scoops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agree.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just the passenger side come with a functional vent, however my driver side vent just put the dremel to them and they’re open up now as well.

Say, what?? I figured that for the money you spend on the Ram air kit, and the Mopar CAI, that you’d no question, have two functional vents.....

OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Say, what?? I figured that for the money you spend on the Ram air kit, and the Mopar CAI, that you’d no question, have two functional vents.....

Nope just the one. Your right however for the money you would think Mopar would make both vents functional.

OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree--them yellow caps gotta go----LOL
The throttle body--they are a part of the whole mod "group" Standing alone--not much difference---in conjunction with your other mods the throttle body will help the total performance. I think Matt still has some of the "flag" engraved catch cans, you might check before ordering one although I don't know if his are on sale, but it never hurts to ask. Your making great progress--I like it!!!
Jay
Those Yellow caps are about to go. Billet technology got that 20% off sale so I will be getting the under hood dress kit in Jazz Blue Metallic. I think Moe has the regular blue ones. The Jazz Blue Metallic is like a extra $80 bucks. Ouch.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like that color though---
Jay

OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree--them yellow caps gotta go----LOL
The throttle body--they are a part of the whole mod "group" Standing alone--not much difference---in conjunction with your other mods the throttle body will help the total performance. I think Matt still has some of the "flag" engraved catch cans, you might check before ordering one although I don't know if his are on sale, but it never hurts to ask. Your making great progress--I like it!!!
Jay
And Pull Ya I’m a Retired Veteran I gotta do like one thing a month. Lol. So I gotta wait now until the 1st to do anything else. These ones a month checks suck. Lol

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes they do---it's not the same as when we were working---but since I retired I've never looked back-----ever!!!!
Jay

OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes they do---it's not the same as when we were working---but since I retired I've never looked back-----ever!!!!
Jay
No I will never look back. I retired 7 years ago after 30 long years of Military service. Now I’m just kicking back enjoying the fruits of my labor.
Ram trucks and Fast Harleys Only.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Looks great!!! Is it louder than stock? I too like the way mopar gives us factory performance packages to choose from!

OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks great!!! Is it louder than stock? I too like the way mopar gives us factory performance packages to choose from!
Definitely louder than stock but I do have JBA Longtubes and Flowmaster Super 44s

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My question is the silver plate on top of your intake. Is that replaceable so that in winter months your not ingesting water.

Also what about rain... how do the vents prevent rain water from entering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JHayez1911

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My question is the silver plate on top of your intake. Is that replaceable so that in winter months your not ingesting water.

Also what about rain... how do the vents prevent rain water from entering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just installed them. From what I’ve read rain can get into the hood, however no one thus far has had any issues as the air box has holes in it so water will drain out. The vents are surely replaceable you would however have to order a extra set of stock ones. They pop in and out.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From everything ive read the "ram" air doesnt really help too much. I have the same setup factory installed. Drove a ram without it and didnt feel any difference.

You have to be well into the double or tripple digits to see any real advantage..Yes your intake temps will drop a few deg an all but performance wise you will never get enough forced and pressureized air in the airbox to make it a worth while mod...
Go look up some of the effects of ram air on crotch rockets,it gets direct ram but not effective till about 100mph

chucky p

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm thinking of adding the sport hood with falsie scoops, nothing functional. I haven't seen much positive on the performance side and I just want to jazz up the truck's look a little.
But, looking at the pictures has got me wondering, what happens during heavy rain. Water's gotta get into that airbox by the bucket loads. I would be concerned about that.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
everytime i see people doing mods, I look for the year of their truck. it reassures me that spending money modding a truck thats not that old and still under warranty is not just a kink for me. lol.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
everytime i see people doing mods, I look for the year of their truck. it reassures me that spending money modding a truck thats not that old and still under warranty is not just a kink for me. lol.

well seeing its a mopar add-on doesnt effect the warranty one bit

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm thinking of adding the sport hood with falsie scoops, nothing functional. I haven't seen much positive on the performance side and I just want to jazz up the truck's look a little.
But, looking at the pictures has got me wondering, what happens during heavy rain. Water's gotta get into that airbox by the bucket loads. I would be concerned about that.

ive had mine since i bought the truck and have not had one problem with rain or snow getting in the box

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi

I'm with ya... I can't wait for my truck to get old and beyond the warranty period, i'm too impatient. I figure life is short and I know the risks going in, and if the motor or trans blows it's just an excuse to build it up even more the next time!

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm with ya... I can't wait for my truck to get old and beyond the warranty period, i'm too impatient. I figure life is short and I know the risks going in, and if the motor or trans blows it's just an excuse to build it up even more the next time!

lol. there is that. i read the posts about cam lifter issues and think if i had to have those fixed i definitely would put some money into the engine mods while tinkering. when i had my victory i never got around to it, but the next step was a cam on a warrantied bike. there was very clearly dealers who supported all kinds of aftermarket parts and would fight polaris head office to the death to cover under warranty and those who were too busy moving on to selling their Indian lines. Unfortunately the one that I really wanted to work with was a 6 hour minimum ride away vs my local crap dealer being 30 minutes. any dealer wanted 6 hours at 130 an hour plus to do a cam job. but there were videos on how you could break apart the bike in the middle basically so you could access the cam without pulling the motor and do it in an hour. What became really popular in the earlier days of the Victory's was to go to one of the big bike rallies in the States and their were 3 or 4 guys in the country who would have their dyno trailers and a bunch of pre-ordered cams and other parts. these guys would throw cam parties and could replace a cam in 1 HOUR! that was the way to do it. unfortunately with the death of Victory seems to have come the death of the cam parties. these guys would do like 6-8 cams a day and everyone was happy. always loved the idea of riding to Sturgess with a stock bike then riding home with a cammed bike!