Mopar transfer case fluid 68089195AA is RED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I previously searched on what color the transfer case fluid is for my 44-45 TC in my Rebel. I saw various posts about a "blue" fluid from Borg Warner was used, so of course I was nervous about just using ATF 4+ (which the 44-45 can use), since ATF fluids are red, and I don't want warranty arguments about having a red fluid in the TC.

So I bought part # 68089195AA from Mopar (per owners manual, this is the fluid for my 2016 Rebel).......AND ITS RED! The bottles I bought say they are for the 44-45, 44-46, 44-47, 44-48 and pre 2016 44-44.

Anyway, I'm kinda pissed, since I could have used ATF 4+ from Valvoline (or Valvoline's TC fluid). Both are RED and 100% ok to use, and WAYYYY cheaper. But hopefully this will help someone else in their fluid hunt. After I'm done with this factory stuff (I can't return it), I'll be using Valvoline products....I run them in my other 4x4 vehicles (FJ Cruiser, and 98 Jeep).

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I'm curious about that one also. I usually change my transmission fluids at 30-50k intervals, and use Valvoline Maxlife. I've run it in 10 different vehicles, all makes (including VW, which usually has bizarre specs for all their fluids). I see in your sig that you are using it in the 8 speed trans?

BTW, I have the lifetime warranty, so that's why I'm being careful.....but if a fluid is RED and meets the specs, FCA can't argue. I could just follow the factory maintenance schedule, and if there is a problem with the trans, FCA can replace it for me.