Mopar Warranty Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayinMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently purchased a 2019 Limited. And I also purchased a Mopar Mascara warranty with a $100 deductible. About 3 weeks after I purchased the truck, the lowed LED strip on the passenger headlight decided that it would work when it wanted to. I took it into the dealership for that AND horrible wind noise from the panoramic roof (which I don't have the issue on my 2020 Laramie). Mopar warranty REFUSES to cover the headlight assembly. They claim that it "industry standard" to consider it a maintenance issue. Therefore, since it is a maintenance issue, they will not cover it, and the unit is $1,100.00. I called the 800 number to Mopar warranty, and emailed the CSR at molar who sold me the warranty. They refuse to budge. The headlight assembly is NOT serviceable as far as I know. I am highly disgusted at this point. This is my 4th ram in (2) years (I drive a lot).

Has anyone had a similar issue?

OP
OP
J

JayinMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I have the dealer the OK to replace it at my cost. But I told them that I wanted the old one back. I’ve also been going back and forth with the rep who sold me the warranty. He pointed me to this part of the contract:

“Battery and cables; any battery for a component; spark plugs and wires; lights (bulb, sealed beams, lenses); suspension alignment; wheel balancing; wiper blades; catalytic converter, particulate filter and any other exhaust system components; heat shields and exhaust hangers; throttle body cleaning; evaporator deodorizing; carbon cleaning;”

I told him that if the thing was “serviceable” and needed maintenance like they claim, I could understand that. But it’s not serviceable. And for a $1,200 part to fail on a 3 yr old truck that only has 38k on it is BS that I should pay for it. I could understand if it was something that is wear and tear.

He did say if it was “electrical” and that’s why it failed, then it would be covered.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how much was the warranty?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it is pretty standard that they consider headlights, tail lights, fog lights as non-warranty items. Same with Seat covers, trim, glass, wipers, brake pads. Now if its the wiring harness that is the problem causing the light to act up, or the computer, those are covered.

I had to pay for HID bulb for my Audi A4 still under the factory warranty. The bulb alone from Audi was $500+, with 2-3 hours of labor (the book calls for front bumper/grill removal, radiator swung out to service position).

The next time I had to change a bulb, I went aftermarket and changed both (so the colors matched) myself. You can do the same job by laying the power steering reservoir on its side, and bending the PS bracket out the way (then bending it back after).

Its unfortunate, but that's the way these warranties work (even factory).

OP
OP
J

JayinMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it is pretty standard that they consider headlights, tail lights, fog lights as non-warranty items. Same with Seat covers, trim, glass, wipers, brake pads. Now if its the wiring harness that is the problem causing the light to act up, or the computer, those are covered.

I had to pay for HID bulb for my Audi A4 still under the factory warranty. The bulb alone from Audi was $500+, with 2-3 hours of labor (the book calls for front bumper/grill removal, radiator swung out to service position).

The next time I had to change a bulb, I went aftermarket and changed both (so the colors matched) myself. You can do the same job by laying the power steering reservoir on its side, and bending the PS bracket out the way (then bending it back after).

Its unfortunate, but that's the way these warranties work (even factory).
I had thought about buying it aftermarket online and attempting to install it, or have my client install it (he owns a body shop). But I had assumed (my mistake) that I would be covered.

The dealer said that it’s not completely out, that it’s flickering every once in a while, and they consider that an internal failure. And that they believe it’s electrical based. But every time that they put it in for approval, it gets rejected.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had thought about buying it aftermarket online and attempting to install it, or have my client install it (he owns a body shop). But I had assumed (my mistake) that I would be covered.

The dealer said that it’s not completely out, that it’s flickering every once in a while, and they consider that an internal failure. And that they believe it’s electrical based. But every time that they put it in for approval, it gets rejected.

If they fight it hard enough, they may be able to get it covered. But typically it isn't something that wouldn't be covered.

I agree, LEDs are non-serviceable, and SHOULD be part of a warranty, but when they are in the headlight/taillights they don't cover them.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is NOT a bulb, sealed beams, lenses.

I could swear others have had the same fight and ended up getting it covered, but it was because it was called a module or something along those lines. It was in the terminology.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could have probably gotten it much cheaper at car-part. com for a nice used one.

OP
OP
J

JayinMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is NOT a bulb, sealed beams, lenses.

I could swear others have had the same fight and ended up getting it covered, but it was because it was called a module or something along those lines. It was in the terminology.
I didn’t think that it was a sealed beam or lens. I knew if it was a bulb that would at my cost. My fight has been that it’s the whole dang unit. I did a search on here and didn’t find much.

I’m having the dealer give me back the old one. But that’s still besides the point. I know that ESP are not a catch all for everything. But this to me is just BS. If I didn’t have to replace the whole $1,200 unit, I would probably be OK with covering the cost. But the whole unit and labor is $1,445. And the truck is only 3 yrs old.

My 16 GMC the LED surrounds still work. My aftermarket headlights on my 16 Ram which have LED surrounds still work. My 13 Acadia which has LED surrounds still work.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What do you mean?
get a refund.....you pay $3700 for a warranty and they won't replace a $1200 headlight....burn me once shame on you burn me twice shame on me...you been burned once when you paind $3700 for the warranty....get your money back.....

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
i just finnished talking to my dealer about my gold plan they say if its non servicable it is covered ie headlights there is no servicable parts it is a module or unit same with my tailights which also has the blind spot module built in.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
i just finnished talking to my dealer about my gold plan they say if its non servicable it is covered ie headlights there is no servicable parts it is a module or unit same with my tailights which also has the blind spot module built in.
I was just told today by purchasing dealer its not covered its classified as a wear item just like tires, wipers etc.

OP
OP
J

JayinMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was just told today by purchasing dealer its not covered its classified as a wear item just like tires, wipers etc.
This is what Mopar Service plan is telling me. I am calling BS. I can’t service something that they design in a way that’s not serviceable. The thing is, the LED strip works when it wants to. So it’s not the strip. The dealer even says that is electrical.

I do lighting for a living (landscape and Xmas lighting), and we use LED’s. I don’t know what it would be in the headlight assembly’s. But in Xmas lighting if the rectifier goes bad, the lights don’t work. In landscape lighting, if the board in the diode goes bad, then they don’t work.

Dealer says that it’s an internal issue. But since it’s NOT serviceable, they can’t do any more diagnosis.

OP
OP
J

JayinMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And I should add, that if I’m paying for it. I would rather them install the 2020 lights if possible (I don’t see why not). The ones in my 2020 Laramie are a lot better then these in the 2019 Limited.