More EV Wintertime Fun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Here in NJ its been in the teens to the 20s and my wifes Mach E has gone from 220 miles on full battery to 157 on full battery. The other day is snowed and just turning it on and to let it heat up and melt the snow she lost 7% of the battery without even moving. Its also taking 3-4 hours more to charge at home to the point 1 night it only got to 97% before the car had to prep to go to work again. (it sits outside) If we got the - numbers like the midwest I don't think she would of been going to work, not with this car.

Painkiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lived in AK for a few years until very recently and would see all different kinds of EV's driving around with no issues in the winter. I see the issue akin to ICE vehicle drivers going until they run out of gas. You can't live in a place where temps get to below -45F and not ensure your vehicle is prepared for your trip regardless of what type of vehicle you choose to drive. It will literally kill you.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Lived in AK for a few years until very recently and would see all different kinds of EV's driving around with no issues in the winter. I see the issue akin to ICE vehicle drivers going until they run out of gas. You can't live in a place where temps get to below -45F and not ensure your vehicle is prepared for your trip regardless of what type of vehicle you choose to drive. It will literally kill you.
You're funny as hell that's for sure,"winter" in AK,give me a break :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh::Big Laugh: Pray tell how do you prepare an EV for winter driving when it sits outside at -45 plugged into a normal household outlet. My ICE vehicles maybe might lose 20 miles of range at -45,and are warm enough inside to keep me comfortable and the windows defrosted,they don't lose 50+% of range like an EV does,that's also cold as hell inside and has a good chance the windows are frosted over on the inside no less.Throw in the fact alot of public chargers go down in the cold,and it doesn't even have to be that cold when they go down ,i've yet to run into a gas station that doesn't work at -58F in my 50+ years of driving in Canada

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Ok Guys,

You got this all wrong. We need to stop HATING the EV owners. EV's work for people that live in suburbia and have limited travel distances. I can't make the numbers work for me (and I've run the numbers many times), but I don't denigrate people that choose that path (Bob Newhart reference).

What we need to realize is that these people are delaying a a wholesale changeover. We should be helping them.

Don't get me wrong. I'm an Engineer an I think Electric will be the correct answer at some point in time. The problem is that we are not there yet. The costs, efficiency, and availability don't work for people that don't live in population centers (never mind contractors).

My Son and Daughter both live in large cities where they drive 5 miles to work. A EV (or plug in) could work for them on a daily basis. I would keep me from changing oil every 3K miles and replacing exhaust systems every year. Unfortunately they both take vacations (rental?) and drive home on occasion (rental/fly). The cost/benefit just doesn't work - yet.

In the mean time, I'm heading to Texas at the end of the month with the EcoD. Hopefully it won't be 1K miles of ice covered roads and 5F temperatures (Texas doesn't know about Diesel Anti-gel) like it was in 2021.

Give an EV owner a Hug - they're helping us!

Lockie5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
Don’t think anyone is ”hating” on the EV owners. Maybe hating on all the hoopla about them and legislation to seemingly force us to own one soon.
Don’t think manufacturers are even close on truck EV’s. Ford Lightning is really a 100K joke here in Ontario. I know a contractor who bought one, hitched his construction trailer on, got an hour and a half out of town and was out of juice. And that was in nice weather.
Maybe a decent idea for kid hauler in town, or city commuters.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
they haven't seen 1 EV since it went cold last week.
I'm not in Edmonton, but it did hit -39 last week where I live and it didn't really affect the people I know with Tesla's. Ones brand new and the other is a few years old. Both cars are kept between 40% and 80% charge, and only drive a few miles a day. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to charge at low temperature, and if it's cold enough, they can actually loose range trying to charge. One work around is to set a really low charge rate, and keep it plugged in unless driving so it's constantly heating the battery pack.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok Guys,

You got this all wrong. We need to stop HATING the EV owners. EV's work for people that live in suburbia and have limited travel distances.
Not sure of that suburbia thing, at least in cold climates. A LOT of those folks don't have heated garages and/or consistent access to high rate charging stations. EV's can be a PITA for many of those city dwellers.

I do agree, EV's can make sense for some. But for those that are just virtue signaling and not thinking it through, it can be a very expensive lesson.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
The only reason my garage is heated is because it’s attached to the house and we smoke in there. How much energy is used to heat the garage to be able charge the car. Are you using the power usage for that in the assessment. What kind of power is used in Alberta we burn natural gas for heat. And generate electricity so your ev is still powered by fossil fuel

OP
OP
chri5k

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Here in NJ its been in the teens to the 20s and my wifes Mach E has gone from 220 miles on full battery to 157 on full battery. The other day is snowed and just turning it on and to let it heat up and melt the snow she lost 7% of the battery without even moving. Its also taking 3-4 hours more to charge at home to the point 1 night it only got to 97% before the car had to prep to go to work again. (it sits outside) If we got the - numbers like the midwest I don't think she would of been going to work, not with this car.
Well just have a heated garage built. Come on, you need to do your part to help the planet or we will be in an Ice Age by the year 2000.

* This and other EarthDay predictions gone wrong at https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/18-s...irst-earth-day-in-1970-expect-more-this-year/

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Don’t think anyone is ”hating” on the EV owners. Maybe hating on all the hoopla about them and legislation to seemingly force us to own one soon.
Don’t think manufacturers are even close on truck EV’s. Ford Lightning is really a 100K joke here in Ontario. I know a contractor who bought one, hitched his construction trailer on, got an hour and a half out of town and was out of juice. And that was in nice weather.
Maybe a decent idea for kid hauler in town, or city commuters.
If I was going to own an EV as one of my vehicles for most around town, it would by a Tesla. They do seem to tolerate the cold better than the other EVs I have seen. Still think in this country a Hybrid, plug in or not, is a far better option if you want some electric. I also agree with the comment that for a lot of city dwellers EVs are a viable option, especially if you live where freezing or just below is about the cold temp range. Again, the issue in many places is the grids ability to accept that much more load of charging all these EV vehicles.

It may come to pass that these issues get resolved, but it isn't going to be by 2030, when the mandate is for 100% of new vehicles to be zero emission. It also isn't going to solve the fact the pollution foot print to build an EV is almost the equivalent of the lifetime pollution of an ICE vehicle, nor will it address the lack of recyclablility of EVs, wind turbines or solar panels. The whole zero emissions of EVs and renewable electricity is narrowly defined and complete nonsense.

No wonder people don't trust government, the media or scientists when they so obviously fail to present the complete and balanced case..

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok Guys,

You got this all wrong. We need to stop HATING the EV owners. EV's work for people that live in suburbia and have limited travel distances. I can't make the numbers work for me (and I've run the numbers many times), but I don't denigrate people that choose that path (Bob Newhart reference).

What we need to realize is that these people are delaying a a wholesale changeover. We should be helping them.

Don't get me wrong. I'm an Engineer an I think Electric will be the correct answer at some point in time. The problem is that we are not there yet. The costs, efficiency, and availability don't work for people that don't live in population centers (never mind contractors).

My Son and Daughter both live in large cities where they drive 5 miles to work. A EV (or plug in) could work for them on a daily basis. I would keep me from changing oil every 3K miles and replacing exhaust systems every year. Unfortunately they both take vacations (rental?) and drive home on occasion (rental/fly). The cost/benefit just doesn't work - yet.

In the mean time, I'm heading to Texas at the end of the month with the EcoD. Hopefully it won't be 1K miles of ice covered roads and 5F temperatures (Texas doesn't know about Diesel Anti-gel) like it was in 2021.

Give an EV owner a Hug - they're helping us!
Hug,, nahhhhhh, but their bizness. Not supposed to get monster cold here, actually like 48 F with rain at the moment, and as usual, we R getting too much, now we got floods everywhere. We just cannot get nice and drawn out steady rain, either tropical type hits or nada. As far as anti-gel: lol, what I did when I had my ED, I ran Diesel Kleen Winter/Summer blend as appropriate. That helped out ok, since they do the 10% Biodiesel and 10% Ethanol mixes in TX. TX does switch over to winter Diesel, tho doubt the blend you use in Northern tier (just an opinion), but later in season. (U may find some winter weather up in Panhandle area (Amarillo) if the temps drop) if you come through that part of state.

ADDED: Stay away from Mom/Pop stations to get yer Diesel down here, just saying.

All above just IMHO.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if you live in the Retirement State of Florida, you should be ok with an EV

It was 75°F there today

Yeah, but it's ~20 degrees in the Panhandle tonight!
I have always said..Down here in SW Fla.(below tampa),we don't have winters,its hot and then it's not so hot"...can't remember the last time I put a jacket on or even a flannel here....I wear shorts and tee shirts all the time outside of work and I'm pretty sure all the levis' pants I have will not fit anymore...lol
Will be In the 80s by the end of the week here predicted.mid 70s so far.
Pretty crappy during Christmas time it's in the high 80s.
I do see quite a few EV cars runnin around here. here.

skates15

Reaction score
Evs are one of the biggest grifts of all time
Basically exchanging the pollution from a tail pipe to the coal fired power plant or natural gas fired power plant.

So, it may be great reducing pollution in a mega city, but to a large degree you are simply shifting where the pollution is generated as those power plants increase output to meet demand.

If you are serious about wanting to eliminate carbon, then build nuclear power plants.

And lets have a serious conversation about future energy needs, how they will be met, how will we modernize our national grid, how will goods and services operate without diesel and why can't we mine the rare earth minerals needed to build batteries, for example Cobol.in the US?

Grift, yes, biggest, time will tell.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I don’t hate Evs or their owners. They just aren’t for me and if the government wants me to have an ev they are going to have to give it to me because I ain’t buying what they are selling. Our current government has swilled the kool-aid by the barrel. Hopefully we will soon have a common sense government and boot the clowns out