More EV Wintertime Fun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yep, I've been saying that for a couple of years. The smart money is chasing those .gov giveaways. And who can blame them? If they're throwing money away, it's smart to get in on it.
Exactly it. I sat through a 2 hr call yesterday that I thought was supposed to be about EVs. What it ended up being was a sales pitch by a company who is getting the lions share right now looking for their next cash cow.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I watch a tv program, where they investigate RUMORS, to see if there is any truth to them.

One particular Rumor involves EVs ..
The rumor states that AM radio in Vehicles will be eliminated:

one assumption was that Pressure was being put on Radio Station Operators, to get rid of Radio Shows that had a Political Only subject.
That was tossed in the trash bucket.

Then they had a more correct answer ...

AM Radio will not be installed in Electric Vehicles, because it draws off too much Battery Power.

I think it is funny that only AM radio was mentioned,
What about FM or Satellite radio ?
Don't they draw just as much power ??

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I watch a tv program, where they investigate RUMORS, to see if there is any truth to them.

One particular Rumor involves EVs ..
The rumor states that AM radio in Vehicles will be eliminated:

one assumption was that Pressure was being put on Radio Station Operators, to get rid of Radio Shows that had a Political Only subject.
That was tossed in the trash bucket.

Then they had a more correct answer ...

AM Radio will not be installed in Electric Vehicles, because it draws off too much Battery Power.

I think it is funny that only AM radio was mentioned,
What about FM or Satellite radio ?
Don't they draw just as much power ??

Don't trust that tv show, whatever it is. AM drawing a significant amount of power over FM is laughably wrong. An antenna doesn't use electrical power, it receives it. Frequency doesn't change that. How much power your radio uses is pretty much whatever it's using to drive the speakers and light up the display. (there are signal amplifiers that use power to increase the signal the antennae passively receives, but no need to get that far in to the weeds on this)

The assumption it's some political thing is also wrong, given the US Congress introduced legislation to make auto makers keep installing AM radio due to emergency broadcast requirements. See: https://www.reuters.com/business/au...eliminating-am-radio-new-vehicles-2023-05-17/

For EV's, it's pretty simple. EVs have big ol' electric motors that create larger amounts of radio interference in the same band as AM Radio uses. Not about power consumption, just the "bleed over", so to speak, will make AM suck. Sort of like when you had a bad ground and you'd get alternator whine through your stereo, just there's nothing to ground to make it stop. For all vehicles, regardless of power train, it's the same reason they don't put in 8-track players, cassette players, CD players, etc. any longer. To do so cost money, customers don't value it enough to pay extra for it, so the economic incentive is to leave it out.

OP
OP
chri5k

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
AM = Audible Misery. What we use to call it back in the day. It could be a pain in the butt trying to get the interference out of some old geezers Lincoln radio.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Back home in the middle of blutt fluck nowhere Saskatchewan,all you can get is AM ,or sirus if you're signed up for it,which after the free trial,i'm not,lol