MPG effect of Leveling Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desdave37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi etorque
I did a front end leveling kit right after I bought my 2021 1500. Just wondering what others have seen regarding the impact of that on MPG. It does change the aerodynamic profile, so maybe on a change in highway mpg?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I didn't see enough of a difference to notice a change in fuel economy.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Loss of 1-2 mpg combined highway/city. More likely due to E rated bigger tires installed at the same time as the level.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Tires can definitely have a much bigger impact on gas mileage than the slight change in aerodynamics a level will give you.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Why do a level if not doing tires or wheels and tires?!?! To me that is just dumb. I see some people around here with a 6" lift and big wide fender flares with stock tires...it is so stupid looking. Haha.
Well, to be clear, a level and a 6 inch lift are two very different things. The OP is asking about a level. Maybe you disagree but I don't see anything wrong with doing a level and running stock tire size. :waytogo:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Entry angle and ground clearance for off-roading.
Well that's a whole other story. OP didn't say anything about off-roading. He was concerned about the effect on his highway fuel economy. If off-roading is the reason for the level then certainly tires should be considered based on the type of off-roading a guy is planning to do. But I think you might be reading too much into the OP's reason for leveling. I suspect he wants to level it for appearance.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2.1 level. Stock 33” tires. Looks great and I have zero issues off roading. If I need severe angle and entry positions I would rather be in a jeep. Lets not read into what the OP asked.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, to be clear, a level and a 6 inch lift are two very different things. The OP is asking about a level. Maybe you disagree but I don't see anything wrong with doing a level and running stock tire size. :waytogo:
I agree...2 totally different things. I'm not a fan of the level kit because most "leveling kits" I see actually make it a tad bit nose high, then when you haul something or tow something it makes it look like the rear is sagging quite a bit. It's not my taste, but I have no problem with anyone leveling their truck if they want to. The other part of my post should be outlawed it looks so terrible!! Haha. IMO.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Well that's a whole other story. OP didn't say anything about off-roading. He was concerned about the effect on his highway fuel economy. If off-roading is the reason for the level then certainly tires should be considered based on the type of off-roading a guy is planning to do. But I think you might be reading too much into the OP's reason for leveling. I suspect he wants to level it for appearance.
Good point.

Even with the ORP, though, my front air dam barely cleared the sidewalk curb in parking lots.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Good point.

Even with the ORP, though, my front air dam barely cleared the sidewalk curb in parking lots.
I'm not a fan of the front air dams. I've removed them from every 5th gen I've owned LOL.

I agree...2 totally different things. I'm not a fan of the level kit because most "leveling kits" I see actually make it a tad bit nose high, then when you haul something or tow something it makes it look like the rear is sagging quite a bit. It's not my taste, but I have no problem with anyone leveling their truck if they want to. The other part of my post should be outlawed it looks so terrible!! Haha. IMO.
Agreed. Except on trucks with air suspension. I leveled the 2021 Limited I used to own using suspension links. It wasn't perfectly level because I didn't do anything with the rear. So there was the slightest rake still. But it looked tons better than stock. The only problem with that method is I lost the OR2 setting for the air suspension. But the truck wasn't used off-road anyway so that really didn't matter. Here's a couple pics in case you're interested in seeing a (mostly) leveled truck with stock size tires. Notice the missing front air dams :D

Attachments

• New tires 2.jpg
    New tires 2.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 19
  • New tires 3_LI.jpg
    New tires 3_LI.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 18

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Levelling and removing the air dam, even with stock tires will reduce your gas mileage. More prevelant at higher speeds than lower. Ram did nose down and dam intentionally to improve gas mileage. It works but if you dont like the look, then no problem.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Levelling and removing the air dam, even with stock tires will reduce your gas mileage. More prevelant at higher speeds than lower. Ram did nose down and dam intentionally to improve gas mileage. It works but if you dont like the look, then no problem.
You'd think so but that wasn't my experience with that truck. Any difference in fuel economy was lost in the month to month inconsistencies of where I drove in any given month. Generally my driving consisted of about 80/20 hwy/city miles. I averaged in the 15-16 mpg range the entire time I owned that truck. I'm convinced that any fuel economy difference would be best noticed in the wind tunnel, and not so much in real world driving.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Driving like my wallet was empty only gained me a little under 1 mpg overall compared to driving like I wanted. Summer/winter blend swap was 1+ mpg.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why I installed 1” spacers on the rear to give it a little over a 1” rake for towing. Sits level towing my 21’ bass boat.