Mpg's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJDodger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've been averaging about 14mpg mixed driving. If I do mostly city I'm lucky if I get 10mpg. I just did a 220 mile all highway trip with my truck overloaded (about 1k pounds of gear and supplies in the bed and thats not counting me and my usual stuff in the cab) and managed to pull 18.9mpg calculated. Was shocked. Havent seen over 17.5mpg all hwy in about 2 years. I'm running a BD PowerPup tuner set to Regular tune currently.

Sent from an old cellular telephone.

OP
OP

05ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
all i can find on a hard reset is to disconnect the pos and neg terminals and touch them together...does this sound right? is there a time limit?

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I know you diconnect the cables, but I dont think you should touch them together lol that does not sound right.

Disconnect them and leave them unconnected for 15 min, then connect the pos and neg back one at a time. That should reset it, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
There are two ways of doing it, you can pull the PCM fuse and do the key sequence or disconnect the negative wire, turn on your lights, and let it sit for 10min or so

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
i loved the performance tune, but when gas got expensive, i just couldn't get myself to give those greedy aholes a penny more than i had to...LOL

I thought this too... Until I did the math on it

Here the 91oct is approx. $0.20 higher than the 87oct.

I picked up 2mpg from swapping to the 91 tune over the 87 tune

So say I fill up 20gal of premium fuel on the performance tune.

@ $0.20 per gallon extra, thats $4.00 more than I would normally pay for the 87oct.

However, @ 2mpg better, I am picking up an additional 40 miles per tank.

So for simple math, say 87oct is $3.00 per gal and 91oct. is $3.20 per gal. and its a difference between getting 12mpg on the 87oct vs 14mpg on the 91oct

In order to make up that additional 40 miles on 87oct I would have to buy 3.5 extra gallons

So an additional 3.5gal of 87oct @ $3.00 = an extra ~ $10.50.
Paying an extra $0.20 per gallon for 91oct = an extra ~ $4.00.

In the end, for the "econo tune", you actually end up paying more, $6.50 more to be exact. And what do you get out of it? A detuned vehicle running poorer gas.

Now I will say this, I did this pre-cam, pre-converter, pre-headers and after my gear install and I did it with both the DSP and the SC3815, the newer tunes may be more refined today with the newer software, however I am doubting much difference really in the mileage tunes.

It all goes back to what I have always said, make it run more efficently, make it get up to speed quicker and easier with less pedal and the mpg's will go up.