My 1973 Project Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
Good job. Great to hear it's running better. I know that when I changed the oil in the 76, it went from around 20 psi all the time, to dead nuts at 40 when cold, and 35 with a hot idle.

If you find a chem flush, let me know. lol I need one as well.

Oil pressure may have been messud up because of the t-stat also. As the truck wouldnt ever get over 150 when pulling it very hard. Loaded firewood in 1st trying to warm it up.

I thought they made chemical flushes. I'll post up what I find.

I think some shops do a pressurized flush, they just hook up a machine and blow out all the crud.
You can call around to see who des it in your area.

I have the option of switching to the radiator from my '89. Which appears to be larger. It looks like someone mounted an aftermarket rad in this truck.this radiator has a place where it sometimes looks like it leaks. Blue corrosion on the outside. But it isn't always wet. But I know the '89 has already had the pressure flush treatment done to it and is in great shape. I'm mainly worried about the corrosive looking stuff inside the block. Should I pull the waterpump and check it out? I want to make sure everything is working top notch.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Oil pressure may have been messud up because of the t-stat also. As the truck wouldnt ever get over 150 when pulling it very hard. Loaded firewood in 1st trying to warm it up.

I thought they made chemical flushes. I'll post up what I find.

I have the option of switching to the radiator from my '89. Which appears to be larger. It looks like someone mounted an aftermarket rad in this truck.this radiator has a place where it sometimes looks like it leaks. Blue corrosion on the outside. But it isn't always wet. But I know the '89 has already had the pressure flush treatment done to it and is in great shape. I'm mainly worried about the corrosive looking stuff inside the block. Should I pull the waterpump and check it out? I want to make sure everything is working top notch.
If the pressure was buggered up because of the t-stat, it would be a higher pressure. It was probably due to a clogged filter like in my case.
lol Probably do, I just haven't done the research on it.

OP
OP
R

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found a flush at advance auto parts house. But it can't be done in freezing weather. I can't remember the name if it now. It was a blue bottle. I think it starts with a P....

My '73 is having the rear end clunk. I thought it had a solid rear end. Now I'm thinking its a posi of some sort. It clunks out after turning and stuff. Earlier I got it in the snow. And one tire spun like crazy. After rocking it for 3-5 minutes both rear tires grabbed and I left two slide marks the whole way up the hill. I was loaded down with firewood. Until today it has never clunked or anything and has spun both tires whenever I wanted. After being almost stuck in a couple inches of snow it has clunked a few times. Any ideas what's going on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Probably a Prestone product.

Popped the fill plug on the diff and taken a look inside yet? You may have a misbehaving posi in it that works when it wants to.

OP
OP
R

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was going to check the oil in a few days. Its still like 15-20° every day here. And the dang snow keeps coming. Anything I should look for while I have it apart? Should I buy a new gasket and take the cover off and clean it out real good? I haven't messed with rear ends much. I've replaced the gasket before. But that's about it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Most use RTV on the diff covers.

Personally, I'd get a hand pump and pump most of the oil out first, so that way it doesn't make a giant mess, then pull the cover. Get some rags that won't get ripped up and wipe it out a bit, do the same with the cover. Clean the mating surfaces real well, reseal, bolt on, fill.
This will also give you a good opportunity to check the diff to make sure there is no monkey-business going on in there.....unless you have an LSD (SURPRISE)....then you'll need friction modifier.

OP
OP
R

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just installed the new spark plugs. Wires will go on later.
It idles so nice and smooth now.

Here's a pic of the old plugs.... I guess the P.O. took a shortcut at the back plugs. They were a pita with the long tube headers. uploadfromtaptalk1394592770770.jpg

Also got my 87 mm throttle body put on my 2012.... both trucks get a kick of pep today. So I feel accomplished :Naughty

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Uhhhh, what plugs are the small ones?

I don't know. The gap is way small. I can see why they used them. I had to loosen the dang header on the drivers side once again to get one of the spark plugs changed. Ill update with the number after dinner.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I don't know. The gap is way small. I can see why they used them. I had to loosen the dang header on the drivers side once again to get one of the spark plugs changed. Ill update with the number after dinner.

ahahaha
The plugs on these B-blocks are a pain enough to get to with manifolds. Kinda makes me not want headers now.....

Hot ignition and platinum plugs anyone? :D

OP
OP
R

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They are 255 autolite plugs... I'm about ready to get normal manifolds and get rid of these long tubes :p
I considered platinum plugs, but I couldn't justify the cost for a truck that I have about 900$ in total

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
They look to be about the size of the plugs I use in my Echos. lol

I could.....granted, this truck is in way better shape. :hidesbehindsofa:

OP
OP
R

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was like chain saw spark plugs? Whut... lol
My ultimate plan is to stick this motor in a 4x4 truck. Im on the lookout for older 4x4 trucks in good shape.
I don't have a problem admitting your truck is nicer! You got a Damn well cared for old truck! :Worship

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Frame swap, maybe? :naughty:

lol Thanks. Being a shop truck does have it's perks sometimes I guess. :naughty:

There are groups on Facebook for 72-93 Dodge owners if you're interested....

OP
OP
R

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not much to report I've been working the the '66.... Chevy! And also my boat! uploadfromtaptalk1406144558030.jpguploadfromtaptalk1406144598054.jpguploadfromtaptalk1406144607522.jpg did I mention I painted the front to prove to my girlfriends dad I could paint his '66 that we are doing a full frame off resto on?

OP
OP
R

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
uploadfromtaptalk1406320335708.jpguploadfromtaptalk1406320346652.jpguploadfromtaptalk1406320357724.jpguploadfromtaptalk1406320405632.jpg I know the bottom fender wells and firewall still need to be redone, they were partially sandblasted and I didn't want them to rust. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the results on the hood and fenders, sanded to original paint and bare metal in places, bondo, 2 coats of primer and sanding in between, one coat of white, sanded a few more spots, then shot it with 2 more coats of white. I didn't use clear coat yet, because I plan on doing more sanding/coats later.

Hvlp air gun with white rustoleum paint for a cheap glossy paint job on old steel.

The rest of this probably won't get done till next summer.

OP
OP
R

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also solved my LT header/spark plug clearance problem with some local parts house accell shorty plugs a few weeks ago. After meting a couple plug wires.