My boss testing his Funny Car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like he made a great pass! I love NHRA drag racing. I wish they still did the full 1/4 mile instead of a 1000' but I still enjoy it. It's a different type of atmosphere at the drags with all of the pits being open to the public and the drivers so much more accessible. It's hard to explain exactly how much power and noise these things make and how they literally shake the ground without someone being there in person to experience it.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tasca Steve

Tasca Steve

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Looks like he made a great pass! I love NHRA drag racing. I wish they still did the full 1/4 mile instead of a 1000' but I still enjoy it. It's a different type of atmosphere at the drags with all of the pits being open to the public and the drivers so much more accessible. It's hard to explain exactly how much power and noise these things make and how they literally shake the ground without someone being there in person to experience it.

No question about it, it has to be experienced first hand. Words simply can not convey the sound and feeling. It's insane if you think about it, they're going faster now in 1000 feet than they used to go in 1320. In testing that weekend he went 3.887 at 329.75!!!

-Steve

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No question about it, it has to be experienced first hand. Words simply can not convey the sound and feeling. It's insane if you think about it, they're going faster now in 1000 feet than they used to go in 1320. In testing that weekend he went 3.887 at 329.75!!!

-Steve

I think there is something in the Nitro that is addictive. I cant wait to go back to Thunder Valley Nats in Bristol again!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yip, I understand why the went to 1000'. It saves a ton on parts plus they were going faster and faster to the point of basically flying if they get the slightest bit of turbulence under the car plus needing more shutdown area. I'm just old school and like the full 1/4 mile passes. At least Pro Stock is still the full pass. I've heard they are discussing raising it back to the full 1/4 mile but trying to figure out other restrictions to slow them down if they do. As spectators we want to see the fastest runs possible but with today's technology they are capable of going much faster in the span of a 1/4 mile than they could in the past. I stopped watching Nascar years ago because of all the restrictions and stupid rules they were coming up with with the Car of Tomorrow. I hope they figure out a way to keep Drag Racing interesting to watch without trying to make everyone run the same thing. Pro Stock motorcycle is a perfect example. The Harley Davidsons aren't actually Harlys at all and they are allowed to run much bigger engines than the Japanese bikes so they are competitive. Since I ride a Sport Bike and am not a Harley fan I wish they would just let them race. If they did, the Japanese bikes would win every time.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm not trying to predict the future here but enjoy NHRA as long as you can. They just don't pay out like they used to and it started pre- covid along with the stands being less occupied every year. It costs me $1,600 plus tax for a barrel of nitro, their new payout structure is $0 for Top Fuel Harley in 2021, guess who's staying home this year except for AHDRA.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Some of my best memories were the night time Jet Fuel Dragsters at 75-80 Drag-A-Way in Fredrick, MD. Nothing like watching the tail of the afterburner light up the night and the sound of a 5000 HP turbine.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay?? Post some more pics and vids of that monster. Super cool that your boss is the driver!

I remember my dad taking me to an NHRA top fuel event at Firebird International Raceway (now Wildhorse Pass) back when I was around 5-6 years old the first time. We have been going almost every year since. I love it! That is what got me into drag racing. It has been a few years since I have raced anything I owned but I want to get back into it eventually.

I'm not trying to predict the future here but enjoy NHRA as long as you can. They just don't pay out like they used to and it started pre- covid along with the stands being less occupied every year. It costs me $1,600 plus tax for a barrel of nitro, their new payout structure is $0 for Top Fuel Harley in 2021, guess who's staying home this year except for AHDRA.

Sorry to hear that, last time I was at a top fuel event was couple years ago and the place was packed. Tons of people standing, stands completely full. Do you think it's location based or the sport as a whole?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I live about 8 miles from PBIR, I probably heard him running it. It’s interesting how the sound these make has changed. Hard to describe but they do not have the old school sound like the old days.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@G-Ride990 I would put my best opinion on sponsorship dollars or the lack thereof. NHRA is a business and their main income sources are television / advertising. They have to make money in order to pay out money, simple as that except they want to keep so much in their own pockets. Motorsports and drag racing are always changing like Vegas now being four lanes. We have a lot of Harley Racers that come down from Alberta and that's an expensive trip for $0.
You're lucky to be by Wild Horse because it's a great track. I moved from Kingman early last year so it was an easy trip to Wild Horse /Vegas/ Pomona.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My Brother in Law wants to race again, but my Sister won't let him
So now he just collects them.
He has a Chrysler built 1968 Hemi Dart L023, that he never raced, but i guess it is well known

s%2Fsites%2F4%2F2019%2F03%2F02_FEA_030219BW01-copy.jpg

1714984041.jpg
In 2019 he took it to special invite only car show in Illinois

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@G-Ride990 I would put my best opinion on sponsorship dollars or the lack thereof. NHRA is a business and their main income sources are television / advertising. They have to make money in order to pay out money, simple as that except they want to keep so much in their own pockets. Motorsports and drag racing are always changing like Vegas now being four lanes. We have a lot of Harley Racers that come down from Alberta and that's an expensive trip for $0.
You're lucky to be by Wild Horse because it's a great track. I moved from Kingman early last year so it was an easy trip to Wild Horse /Vagas/ Pomona.

Good to see another gear head, in 1999-2004 my employer transferred my to Colorado and we would go to the Mile High Grand Nationals it was a 3 day event, we would go back into the pits and look and see the different funny cars that they would have torn down and you could watch the pit crew but it back together, thats team work, and they would fire them up the roar and smell that would burn your eyes but it was a good burn, And we would walk around eating barbequed turkey legs, I've been wanting to go to the 1/4 mile track in Redding Pa, Maple Grove looks like they aren't open till Sep 9, my friends are gone and family been busy nobody wants to go?

Last edited:

terb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
steam
Hope this is okay, not a Mopar. My Boss Bob Tasca III in testing earlier this month at Palm Beach International. He followed this up by making it to the semi-finals at Gainesville for the first race weekend this year.

22 HP per cubic inch is hard to believe.....

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is a little nostalgia for you guys, Union Grove, WI from 1971. Enjoy

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Awesome video! That thing was shot within the first few months of the advent of the rear engine dragster, only 2 in the field at that race. The next year almost every TF racer ran the new setup.

OP
OP
Tasca Steve

Tasca Steve

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

It's a seriously tough business, Bob had to run a couple VERY abbreviated seasons when Ford pulled out of drag racing a few years ago, thankfully they're back. My guess is they just came back because Bob wouldn't leave them alone. ;) He can be pretty intense. :)

I live about 8 miles from PBIR, I probably heard him running it. It’s interesting how the sound these make has changed. Hard to describe but they do not have the old school sound like the old days.

I've been going since the early 90s, it's crazy how the power levels have gone up.

22 HP per cubic inch is hard to believe.....

The 11,000hp number is figured using math, there is no engine of chassis dyno on the planet that can handle the power of those Nitro cars.

OP
OP
Tasca Steve

Tasca Steve

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Okay?? Post some more pics and vids of that monster. Super cool that your boss is the driver!

I remember my dad taking me to an NHRA top fuel event at Firebird International Raceway (now Wildhorse Pass) back when I was around 5-6 years old the first time. We have been going almost every year since. I love it! That is what got me into drag racing. It has been a few years since I have raced anything I owned but I want to get back into it eventually.

Sorry to hear that, last time I was at a top fuel event was couple years ago and the place was packed. Tons of people standing, stands completely full. Do you think it's location based or the sport as a whole?
26731749_10214474248027645_5488563334950702293_n.jpg 2020funnycar.jpg

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@Tasca Steve you are one luck person, enjoy it!

Gasoline is for washing parts, Alcohol is for drinking and Nitro is for racing.

GOT NITRO?