My dealers oil change dumbfounded me.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I really don’t suffer dealership fools well ,
I looked up Shell Helix to find out what’s it all about Shell has its own website and a vehicle finder tool to give you their recommendations for the specific fluids for your model, and year of manufacture.
They didn’t even recommend 5w20 as my oil fill cap specifies they recommend 0w20

PENNZOIL the other engine oil MOPAR owner manual recommends is a full synthetic and again they recommend 0w20 as the standard and 5w20 as an option

8E7140D3-7E95-48F3-BA35-1C118495DEE1.pngEE7C3047-B6A3-44BF-8122-818D5A44FAAB.jpeg

Last edited:

67440dodge

Military
Reaction score
I'm getting my truck through Domiano, generally when I buy a vehicle I do all maintenance except for warranty stuff but will let a dealership do an occasional thing just to get a feel of if they seem to know anything..so we'll see. I always look forward to changing the oil as I get a chance to poke around underneath and see if everything is looking alright, no hobos living underneath etc
Hijack time... I remember when Domiano's had trucks lined all up the highway on every piece of parkable land he could find for a couple miles, including the old Scion dealer.. now all it looks like he's got left is a few on the lot

67440dodge

Military
Reaction score
For the OP..... Just take the danged thing to Jiffy Lube or Insta-Lube or any of the quickie oil change places. They'll gladly upsell you full synthetic while trying to convince you to change the trans and diff fluids but forgetting to tighten down your drain plug...

Just me, but on a vehicle I posted about earlier, here was my oil change regimen:

In warranty period: Conventional grade Castrol GTX of same rating/viscosity and at 5K miles as specified by owners manual. Only exception was first oil change, I had that done at 1K miles.

Once warranty was up: Conventional grade Castrol GTX of same rating/viscosity as spec'd by manual, only every 10-12K miles.

How many miles on it before I sold it? 307K. How much oil did I burn/lose between oil changes? Less than 1/2 qt.

Last edited:

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am going to the dealer for oil change,becoze of the warranty, 2019 classic and they use mopar conventional oil 5w20 every 5000 km.

BCSTPete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Steven, two people actually.
One was an old, OCD, **** retentive, but amazing mechanic I worked for many many years ago.
The other was my Uncle who was literally a genius rocket scientist/aero space engineer. For fun, this guy would yearly tear his datsun 240z down to bolts and measure wear and tear on parts with his equipment.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
a BIG reason I have a lift in my own garage here at home. I'm with ya, Im 54 and have a *** knee and ankle. there was a time I didnt mind working off the ground w/a jack and stands, but if I don't have to at work (been a mechanic all my life) I sure as **** aint doing it no more at home. Got my lift on a screaming CL deal.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
a BIG reason I have a lift in my own garage here at home. I'm with ya, Im 54 and have a *** knee and ankle. there was a time I didnt mind working off the ground w/a jack and stands, but if I don't have to at work (been a mechanic all my life) I sure as **** aint doing it no more at home. Got my lift on a screaming CL deal.
I did the exact same thing. Got a 25 year old fully hydraulic Snap On lift. The only thing my mind wants to rotate the tires but my body won’t let me:).

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
The oil change kid is the one that has no training and works cheap
I know of one that didn’t tighten the filter in a chev van
The owner made it a few blocks and it went south
Cost the shop a new motor
You could see the oil trail when the kid backed it out
His last day of work

I run full synth in my truck
Use to do all my oil changes, 4 trucks, 2 car, few tractors etc.
But joints don’t let me now