My dealers oil change dumbfounded me.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pjram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I went to the dealer today to get an oil change and tire rotation. Most of the time I do it myself except wanting a tire rotation made me not want to do it. I always use Mobil 1 synthetic so I wanted whatever synthetic they are using. When I asked the service advisor to put in synthetic he said they couldn’t do it. My next question was oh you don’t stock it? He said yes we have it but your vehicle calls for semi synthetic. I said I’d prefer full synthetic please. He said sorry liability laws won’t allow it. I’m staring at this kid a third my age in total disbelief what I’m hearing. I said liable for putting a better quality oil In it? He stood fast and said he couldn’t do it. At this point I lost total confidence in any knowledge or honesty this place had so I just asked for it back and did it at home later on. This was in troy, mi. I told the kid I’m sure you believe what you’re saying but someone is filling your head with nonsense.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WHAT a bunch of BS. I get my tires rotated and Oil changes done at Dealer. Full Synthetic 5W 20, just a saying. Poor kid, he had no idea. Next one done, I am gonna bring RP filter with me, LOL.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They didn't want to put a more expensive oil in your truck? That is a new one for me

Last edited:

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
So I went to the dealer today to get an oil change and tire rotation. Most of the time I do it myself except wanting a tire rotation made me not want to do it. I always use Mobil 1 synthetic so I wanted whatever synthetic they are using. When I asked the service advisor to put in synthetic he said they couldn’t do it. My next question was oh you don’t stock it? He said yes we have it but your vehicle calls for semi synthetic. I said I’d prefer full synthetic please. He said sorry liability laws won’t allow it. I’m staring at this kid a third my age in total disbelief what I’m hearing. I said liable for putting a better quality oil In it? He stood fast and said he couldn’t do it. At this point I lost total confidence in any knowledge or honesty this place had so I just asked for it back and did it at home later on. This was in troy, mi. I told th

e kid I’m sure you believe what you’re saying but someone is filling your head with nonsense.

What does your manual say?

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I went to the dealer today to get an oil change and tire rotation. Most of the time I do it myself except wanting a tire rotation made me not want to do it. I always use Mobil 1 synthetic so I wanted whatever synthetic they are using. When I asked the service advisor to put in synthetic he said they couldn’t do it. My next question was oh you don’t stock it? He said yes we have it but your vehicle calls for semi synthetic. I said I’d prefer full synthetic please. He said sorry liability laws won’t allow it. I’m staring at this kid a third my age in total disbelief what I’m hearing. I said liable for putting a better quality oil In it? He stood fast and said he couldn’t do it. At this point I lost total confidence in any knowledge or honesty this place had so I just asked for it back and did it at home later on. This was in troy, mi. I told the kid I’m sure you believe what you’re saying but someone is filling your head with nonsense.
Good that you got out of there.

Leave a couple of negative reviews on their website as well. They seem to hate that. Additionally, I would make a point to call the service manager and perhaps the GM to express my displeasure.

If you pressed the issue at the dealership, who knows what other BS they would pull.

It might turn out to be a blessing in the end, you may find a great shop that will take care of you the way that you should be.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dealer said the same. I asked about it because I had a couple free oil changes on record and they said it was against their policy even if I pay the difference because my truck does not spec fully synthetic. So I still have free oil changes on my record. My truck ticked terribly with whatever oil the dealer used when they did the first 5k mile change. After that I did it all myself starting at 7,000 miles draining the dealer oil because of the ticking getting even worse. At 39,000 and 99.9% of my tick is gone. I still occasionally get a nasty startup tick but that has happened with PUP and redline and with RP filters, fram ultra filters, or Chrysler filters so it’s not an oil and filter issue. Trucks a 2017.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Being the stubborn person I am, I would have asked for the employee’s supervisor - then requested a copy of the liability law or laws that the service advisor cited.

I also would have taken my business somewhere else.

spacex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kid was doing his job. Least he’s working unlike a lot of other people. You could easily ask a manager to point him in the right direction.

Teach him something instead of scolding him on their website and the internet.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
And they expect you to entrust them with the second largest investment a person makes when they say the stupidest ish?

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
As long as it got the correct technical rating and the proper viscosity, shouldn’t matter what so ever if it’s synthetic vs conventional or semi-synthetic. This kid was misinformed and they’re being ridiculous. Most dealerships PUSH for synthetic because they can make more money. This is why I do as much as I can myself, did the oil last night at work, that filter on my 21’ 5.7L 8 speed trans is a pain to get at, far under the frame, up above a cv boot and not much room at all, but I did full synthetic with an OEM filter and feel accomplished now lol.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok..... look at it from their perspective.

The dealership put in synthetic/wrong/out of spec oil, and the lifters destroy the cam. Now the customer wants the engine fixed free of charge because the dealer put the wrong oil in it. The dealership, rightfully says no. Customer drags the dealership to court.

How does the dealership avoid that hassle? Put in the specified oil, per the manufacturers recommendations.

I use all MOPAR fluids.

If my truck goes kaboom, I'll just buy another one. I'm not THAT attached to it.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ok..... look at it from their perspective.

The dealership put in synthetic/wrong/out of spec oil, and the lifters destroy the cam. Now the customer wants the engine fixed free of charge because the dealer put the wrong oil in it. The dealership, rightfully says no. Customer drags the dealership to court.

How does the dealership avoid that hassle? Put in the specified oil, per the manufacturers recommendations.

I use all MOPAR fluids.

If my truck goes kaboom, I'll just buy another one. I'm not THAT attached to it.
I get where you are coming from, and I am not aguing, but does it really say "only use semi-synthetic oil"?

Now I have to look at my owners manual again. I thought it only specified a 5w-×× grade, meeting Chrysler spec MS-6395, etc.

I don't even see how anyone would consider a semi-synthetic with a 10k mile OCI, either.

Rlaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats odd. My dealer uses Pennzoil Ultra-Premium. I think it is 0W-40. Pretty sure thats what it calls for in the manual but wouldnt swear to it. Thats in West Va.

OP
OP
P

pjram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer in the past used to use pennzoil ultra which was formerly recommended on Chryslers website. The owners manual states it should meet ms-6395 standards. Most name brand oils synthetic and semi make the list. I prefer full synthetic due to its superior protection on cold start ups. I did talk to the service manager and he recited the same rhetoric. I never chastised the kid anywhere, I said he was given bad information by his superiors. To suggest I could sue for a new engine is not based on any reality. How would I prove an oil that provides superior protection caused the engine damage? Then on top of that to pay an attorney 250 dollars an hour or more would be less than practical. The retainer would be more than a new engine would cost. Then look at who you’re trying to defeat who would drag the case out for a couple years would cost you more than a new truck. i Was frustrated and needed to vent. This forum allowed me to blow off some steam. I appreciate it. I left the dealer with the signal I couldn’t trust them, but at the end of the day the semi would have been fine.

Ram-in-PA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL - My Daughter has a 2021 Subaru Crosstrek, when she took it in to the Dealer for the 1st service/oil change the Service Rep tried to tell her that Subaru designs their new motors to ONLY use full-synthetic and tried to get her to accept that and the nearly double cost over a synthetic-blend. She called me from the shop (and in front of the Service Rep) and I told her that was 100% bunk and they were trying to upsell her on something she didn't need.

The Service Rep relented and said they would use the blend at the lower cost, but when she went to pick it up, they had still charged her for the full synthetic. So she talked to the Sales Rep she bought the car from, showed them the Subaru Web page that said the Blend was recommended and the full synthetic was NOT required. They not only covered the full cost of her service, they also filled her tank of gas (it was 1/2 full) and sent her a $50 gift card for her next service :)

Damn dealer staff need an education, and to stop trying to take advantage of their customers!

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I wonder what he would have said if you wanted new tires that did not match what came on the truck.