My New Ram 1500 Classic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jayzonk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Everyone,

Parted with my 2017 Honda Accord on an early lease buyback and got back into a Ram Classic. The Accord was an amazing car with a great V6 engine and extremely sharp handling. I loved the car, but, at fifty, my back didn't, so I took the offer to give it back. I picked up a Ram Classic....the value just seemed hard to beat. There were some Warlocks out there, but the dealer informed me that the classic trucks, with the 20" wheels, are a bit better ride-wise and handling-wise on the highway, which is primarily where I'm going to be driving it (actually, the 401 Freeway, which is busy and fast). I guess the lower sidewall height of the tire would most likely explain that.

This is my second Ram. The first was a 2016 Ram Laramie, which was a great truck overall.

I'm not interested in doing any major modifications, but wanted to know about some small things that I could do to jazz up my basic truck. It's still at the dealership, and I'm adding a tonneau cover and front and rear flaps, as well as tinting the front two windows. I wish it had the wheel well flares like the Warlock, but I think I'll ruin the clean appearance of the truck by adding them on the Classic. I chose to have the truck rust-proofed to offset the need for the flares (although I'm sure they are protective from flying debris as well).

I was interested in adding better weather stripping around the front grille, if anyone has done that. I thought it might be interesting to use thicker weather stripping to enclose the gap between the grille and the hood, and wanted to see if anyone has tried this.

Attachments

• 98484913 (1).jpeg
    98484913 (1).jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 107

sirdumpsalot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Sometimes you can get them to throw in a bedliner spray like line-x or something...usually costs ~$500 to get it done after the fact

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Nice truck. you could look at getting PPF and/or Ceramic coating.

I had my front windows and windshield ceramic tinted.
My Plan is get front/ hood and a long bottom sides PPF and ceramic coating on whole truck.
Just need to go get it done before I damage all paint off-roading :)

Ceramic coating is nice when you drive on highway with lots of bugs. I'm in Canada, highway I drive on at times.
It's hard to see out the windshield, after short drive.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Great looking truck! and Welcome!
love the hydro blue!
on my hydro blue warlock I like the 17s over the 20s but yours with no fender flares the 20s and white letters look just right!
Enjoy! :favorites13:

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I was interested in adding better weather stripping around the front grille, if anyone has done that. I thought it might be interesting to use thicker weather stripping to enclose the gap between the grille and the hood, and wanted to see if anyone has tried this.

Welcome and congrats on the new truck!

Pretty much the basics that everyone does to their trucks at first! I also added a bolt on Magnaflow muffler. Not obnoxious, just nice!
I'm also thinking of adding the Warlock flares on my truck, not too bulky and if I get a wider offset, it will look pretty darn good. Still debating. :)

Wondering why you want to add "better" weather strip around the grill?

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Consider debadging it. Would look really clean with the color-matched and blacked out look.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Beautiful truck, Ive searched for some Classics, and there aren't many out, at least searchable on the web.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Everyone,

Parted with my 2017 Honda Accord on an early lease buyback and got back into a Ram Classic. The Accord was an amazing car with a great V6 engine and extremely sharp handling. I loved the car, but, at fifty, my back didn't, so I took the offer to give it back. I picked up a Ram Classic....the value just seemed hard to beat. There were some Warlocks out there, but the dealer informed me that the classic trucks, with the 20" wheels, are a bit better ride-wise and handling-wise on the highway, which is primarily where I'm going to be driving it (actually, the 401 Freeway, which is busy and fast). I guess the lower sidewall height of the tire would most likely explain that.

This is my second Ram. The first was a 2016 Ram Laramie, which was a great truck overall.

I'm not interested in doing any major modifications, but wanted to know about some small things that I could do to jazz up my basic truck. It's still at the dealership, and I'm adding a tonneau cover and front and rear flaps, as well as tinting the front two windows. I wish it had the wheel well flares like the Warlock, but I think I'll ruin the clean appearance of the truck by adding them on the Classic. I chose to have the truck rust-proofed to offset the need for the flares (although I'm sure they are protective from flying debris as well).

Nice and welcome... :Big Laugh::welcome:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the Forum, Nice set up already W/ wheels, running boards and color!!

Andersoncma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hey Everyone,

B23C0D4B-311F-4885-9354-4C7B16CCF97B.jpegC8DA15E7-663E-42E6-8C59-5C62A2EC47DD.jpeg
This is called Wiper gasket. I bought it on Amazon. I applied it to the bottom of my roof rack to form fit to my roof and to provide better air flow around my Rhino roof rack

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice. Welcome back. A beautiful truck like that doesn't need much.

Tonino

charles3ct

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
My first Ram (well Dodge Ram at the time) I had a Miata that I traded in for it. Was a huge change. When I got home someone asked what happend to the Miata??

Reply was it was in the bed of the truck and they actually went over and looked in the bed to see if it was there!

OP
OP
J

Jayzonk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sometimes you can get them to throw in a bedliner spray like line-x or something...usually costs ~$500 to get it done after the fact
Luckily, it already had a spray-in liner. I like the actual bedliners better as they protect the box against dings...the spray stuff can't match that.

OP
OP
J

Jayzonk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome and congrats on the new truck!

Pretty much the basics that everyone does to their trucks at first! I also added a bolt on Magnaflow muffler. Not obnoxious, just nice!
I'm also thinking of adding the Warlock flares on my truck, not too bulky and if I get a wider offset, it will look pretty darn good. Still debating. :)

Wondering why you want to add "better" weather strip around the grill?
I just noticed the gap between the grille and the hood and I thought the whole setup would just look sturdier/richer if the gap was filled. There's nothing nicer than a strong looking Ram grille coming toward you on the highway.

Small point, but I don't know why Ram sourced a gloss black grille when the rest of the black on the truck is flat. I don't know if dodge makes a flat black version? It's too complicated to wrap the one that's on it in flat black properly.

Last edited:

sirdumpsalot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Luckily, it already had a spray-in liner. I like the actual bedliners better as they protect the box against dings...the spray stuff can't match that.
true, but at the end of the day it's a truck. You're gonna get some dings!

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
I got the same truck blacked out and so far i like it , it also is the etorque but i feel my 2017 got better gas mileage

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
I’ve had both and I’ll take the spray in any day. In fact that was the deal breaker for my Ram 1500 Classic. I made the dealer apply the liner or I wouldn’t buy it. I just found that the trucks that have plastic liners end up with all kinds of sh…t up under the liner. Including rust. And that the bed paint ends up getting scratched by the liner. I have yet to ever dent or chip a bed with spray in liner. Even when I load the poor thing down with 3000 pounds of 3/4 crushed gravel.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Everyone,

Be careful with the front window tint ... anything over 35% is illegal in Ontario ...