My Projector headlights... Pics! and video....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
unfortunately I have exams this week but after that, I'll be free. If you contact retro solutions on Monday and still haven't figured it out, we can figure something out so we can meet up for sure.

the ballast 1 plug had a separate ground wire, ballast 2 is the drivers side also with a separate ground, then i had the power wire and relay. then i have Jeremy's set up. his included the ballast and all the other goodies. its easier to see it in person.

Alright so your set up is pretty much like mine - one ground per headlight. Are you using Jeremy's set up? I'm confused on that part.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EJM05

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
unfortunately I have exams this week but after that, I'll be free. If you contact retro solutions on Monday and still haven't figured it out, we can figure something out so we can meet up for sure.

Sounds good too me.

OP
OP
EJM05

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
what gets me - is with that new harness, how is it being told that its time to turn on?

I have no clue... I've thought about this so much that I forgot what is all connected now and I hate taking the truck apart. such a pain in the ass.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My last exam if friday at 11 so we can figure something out for the afternoon of that day if we need to. So you have two kits with you? Yours and Jeremy's? Are you mixing parts from each kit? Like, are you using his ballasts on your kit? I'm just a little confused.

OP
OP
EJM05

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
Both "kits" came from retro solutions originally. Im using a complete kit jeremy gave me (came in my lights). That didnt work too well with just that set up so i went down to todd and he gave me a wiring harness.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I wish I was there man, we'd have it rocking in 10 mins.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hmmm.. alright. We will get to the bottom of this :). I'm going to see if my cousin has an idea, he helped me with mine and he is a master at electrical work lol..

OP
OP
EJM05

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
I wish I was there man, we'd have it rocking in 10 mins.

yea i wish i was closer too you. road trip??? jk lol

hmmm.. alright. We will get to the bottom of this :). I'm going to see if my cousin has an idea, he helped me with mine and he is a master at electrical work lol..

yea like i've been saying, its hard to explain. there is a **** ton going on. lol. easier to see it in person. ill let you know the update later on monday.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your light is staying on, correct? Your only problem is the flickering now?

yea like i've been saying, its hard to explain. there is a **** ton going on. lol. easier to see it in person. ill let you know the update later on monday.

I hear ya, i'll try to get in touch with my cousin in the mean time...

OP
OP
EJM05

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
Your light is staying on, correct? Your only problem is the flickering now?

yes they are staying on but when "warming up" they go back and forth flickering. like in the beginning of my video.

th_29bf7295.jpg

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I sent him a PM on facebook saying everything that's going on and what your using for a kit along with that video..I'll let you know what he says, hopefully he will have a direction to lead us in.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is what he said:

it's hard to really tell without seeing how he has everything wired up, but I've never seen an HID kit with a power wire, fuse, and ground wires. I've just seen the connector that connects the ballast into your stock headlight harness, and then from the ballast the two wires that go to the HID bulb. My girlfriends car does that sometimes, but it's only the passenger side fog light HID and the other 3 never blink. This only happens when the car is off, when the car is running, it never blinks, so I may think it has something to do with not enough amperage or voltage to that one HID ballast.

It sounded like the truck was running in the video, so there shouldn't be any voltage or amperage problems, but if they flicker when the truck is off, I'd say turn them on when the truck is running and that may solve the problem. Also check all the connections, make sure they're clipped on all the way. It could also just be the HID kit itself. Because both lights do it, I doubt its the ballasts or the bulbs, unless like I said before, it's a cheap kit.

I would say check all the connections and CHECK the GROUNDS. I've never heard of an HID kit with a power wire and ground wires and a fuse, it sounds like its a wiring harness for aftermarket foglights. I'd say it's probably the ground wires. Make sure the ground wires are on a solid piece of metal, not some little piece of metal and make sure all paint or powercoat is scraped off making sure the ground has direct contact with bare metal. Take sand paper and sand down that area. Without seeing the kit, I'd say its the ground wires, connections, or just a cheap HID kit. I hope that helps and good luck.

--------------

I forgot to tell him the brand of the kit so I had to send that in an extra message...

Last edited:
OP
OP
EJM05

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
So it sounds like ill check the ground wire again. but i sand it down.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if it doesn't appear to be the grounds, just go through the connections and make sure everything is all set and nothing is loose..

Did you clear the surface after you sanded?

OP
OP
EJM05

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
yup made sure it was a clean surface for the ground. Ill have to do the connections a different day since the weather is suppose to be crappy for a couple of days.

OP
OP
EJM05

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
Thanks for the info man. Ill keep you guys updated.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No problem, try that thing with turning the headlights on while the truck is off to see if you get that flickering, and also with the truck on and see if the flickering still ocurrs in both methods too...whatever he said lol

OP
OP
EJM05

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
its flickers for both. and also when i unlock the ram the heads turn on (its a feature from dodge) they also flicker. Im thinking there may not be enough power coming from the ballast.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sounds like swapping the ballasts out should do it, if not, replace the wiring harness so enough power gets distributed to them..

OP
OP
EJM05

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
*****UPDATE***** Im going to Retro Solutions tomorrow morning at 9am to get this fixed. Finally.......