My SCT tuner thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I have larger tires than stock, if I had my stock tires im pretty confident I would be at 15 mpg on the highway at least.

I agree....if I took my lift completely off, put a front air dam back on, and ran 245/75 michlein AP tires... removed my subwoofer, power amp, prerunner bar with lights AND dropped about 50 lbs of personal weight my mileage would go up too. Basic physics. :crazy:

I would also have to spend months in mod rehab and attend weekly meetings for the rest of my life. I'd always be one expenditure away from relapsing into that downward sprial again. :killer:
Or I'd find another addiction, like model railroading...or firearms. :birgits_tiredcoffee

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
I've got the tiny 235/85 R16 tires with plain highway rib (low rolling resistance). Then out in Idaho most speed limits are 25 in the city or 45-65 on the highway. There is only 2 highways in Idaho that are 75 MPH which I'm nowhere near.

But the only tuner per say I've got is the Mopar Performance PCM...

But as for your low MPG's its the rolling resistance and rotational mass. For every 4 pounds of tire you can ditch you use 1 less HP to keep the truck rolling.

Like flipping over to my diesel I run a Edge Comp and keep the box wide open max setting. But just changing the tires from 265/75 R16 to 235/85 R16 I gained 2-3 MPG giving me a high mark of 25.3 MPG or 21 MPG average.

So what I'm saying is the programmer is helping but you also got to help the truck gain it too by ditching excessive loads.

With a truck getting only 11 MPG I would have to sell it being I got to travel 320 miles round trip just to go shopping at walMart or WinCo... (no Joke). plus price of gasoline is nearly $4 bucks a gallon and diesel is at $4.609...

Attachments

• DSCF5144.jpg
    DSCF5144.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF5145.jpg
    DSCF5145.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
OP
OP
Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
:birgits_tiredcoffee
I've got the tiny 235/85 R16 tires with plain highway rib (low rolling resistance). Then out in Idaho most speed limits are 25 in the city or 45-65 on the highway. There is only 2 highways in Idaho that are 75 MPH which I'm nowhere near.

But the only tuner per say I've got is the Mopar Performance PCM...

But as for your low MPG's its the rolling resistance and rotational mass. For every 4 pounds of tire you can ditch you use 1 less HP to keep the truck rolling.

Like flipping over to my diesel I run a Edge Comp and keep the box wide open max setting. But just changing the tires from 265/75 R16 to 235/85 R16 I gained 2-3 MPG giving me a high mark of 25.3 MPG or 21 MPG average.

So what I'm saying is the programmer is helping but you also got to help the truck gain it too by ditching excessive loads.

With a truck getting only 11 MPG I would have to sell it being I got to travel 320 miles round trip just to go shopping at walMart or WinCo... (no Joke). plus price of gasoline is nearly $4 bucks a gallon and diesel is at $4.609...

Having raced brackets for years back in the day and some "class racing" I understand a lot about weight vs power...
...and theres nothing worse than a 2nd gen Dodge gas truck. Except a '69 Fury Wagon with a 318...but you can have a blast with that.

But the selling idea is silly...I'd have a 500.00 a month minimum payment (for similar truck) plus higher insurance plus higher license fees...and I still haven't put a gallon of gas in it yet.

I pay about 170 a month for gas, 65 a month insurance and 49 bucks a year to license.

I can hear cows mooing all day but am within a a 10 minute drive of at least 3Walmarts, one fleet farm and a 2 Targets. Work is a 15 minute drive in good traffic.

Lastly, I have access to a 2002 Ford Ranger with a 4 banger/5 speed combo that gets about 20 mpg in town. Its my "grocery getter."

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
plymouth fury 3 station wagon is what we drove to school. cannt remember the year now. man that brings back some good memories.lol

OP
OP
Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I've recorded 11.5 mpg on my last two tanks and thats probably where the mileage will stay. I am happy with the results and know that I could pay for the tuner in about a year based on the mileage savings. If I'd gotten anywhere around 12mpg I'd be estatic.

This summer I'll be taking the Ram to Minnesota and back with a a detour through my old stomping grounds of Eastern Iowa. I will post up with the good, the bad and the average, and then let the thread close.

I appreciate all your comments and suggestions.

OP
OP
Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Well, I finally got down to crunching numbers tonight from my roadtrip.

This was a 9 day adventure up to Minnesota, down to Eastern Iowa, and then home to Okiehoma. Technicaly we were in Illinois for about 40 minutes.
Speeds averaged around 63 mph, the weather was mostly hot and humid so the AC was on. It seems we were always bucking a headwind.

Anyway, the truck survived even if I was a bit streesed. We traveled 1673 miles and burned 130.7 gallons of either 87 regular or 89 ethanol gas.
This averages about 12.8 mpg
GF....the family keeper of records....tells me this is about 1.5 mpg better than the last trip we took in the ram...when gas was also in the 4.10 a gallon range!

She also tells me this was still cheaper then renting an SUV the cost of which would have offset the mileage it wouldv'e gotten.

This was to be my final post, but I may add one more. I exchanged some pms with Sean when I discovered he'd signed on with RF and he ended up sending me a new tune. This tune is still an 89 octane one but is supposed to change the shift point for OD. I believe its supposed to shift sooner. This should improve my "suburban" mileage.

BTW I can't fault Sean for his help and service. He tolerates my dumbest questions and has been extremely helpful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Update:

After discussing OD lockup speeds, Sean sent me a tune that locks up the OD about 40/45 mph. This is similar to factory program.
He also tweaked the tune, and whatever he did increased low end torque to where I can actually spin the tires from a dead stop.
I'm hoping he'll offer this tune as an option or canned version. It's supposed to be hotter than the 87 tune but I'm still running 87 octane gas!

Last edited: