Navigation mute

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HanoverFist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys,

Newbie to the forum here, as well as newbie to Ram. I have a 2021 Ram Longhorn Limited that I bought several months ago. I am trying to figure out if it is possible to mute the Navigation instructions (12” screen). A of times I will have a destination that is 2 hours away, but I know the directions for the majority of the trip and I dont want to hear the verbal instructions until I need them. I cannot find a mute button. All of the navigation systems that I have experience with has a mute button. And I am aware of using the steering wheel buttons to turn the Navigation instruction volume down, but I am wanting info on mute capabilities. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Download or read your owners manual. Depending on exactly which nav system there are multiple ways to mute or suspend the navigation. For almost all of the systems, when nav is speaking, turn volume button on radio to far left. That will mute the voice, but only works when it is talking.

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the first thing I do when getting a new vehicle is turn that off. usually before I even leave the lot and am still setting everything like I like it. there is an option for turning it on/off in the settings where you set the view and other stuff.

OP
OP
H

HanoverFist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not wanting to go into settings and turn that function off, nor wanting to turn it off by using the volume knob or steering wheel controls. Every single vehicle I have owned has had a mute button on the nav screen allowing you to mute the directions and them unmute whenever you are ready. Hard to believe as nice as Ram is and as many features as it has that they left this out. Thank you guys for the input though. Guess I just have to live with it and use the volume controls to disable until when/if Ram includes this feature in an upgrade.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
There is also a suspend navigation option that will mute it but the is no mute button per se. Given so many options to accomplish what you want, seems a little rigid to only be happy with a mute button.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Every single vehicle I have owned has had a mute button on the nav screen allowing you to mute the directions and them unmute whenever you are ready.
Plug a phone in and use Waze or Google Maps, the voice direction mute button is on screen in both those.
The factory navigation leaves much to be desired and doesn't offer real time traffic or updated roads.

OP
OP
H

HanoverFist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plug a phone in and use Waze or Google Maps, the voice direction mute button is on screen in both those.
The factory navigation leaves much to be desired and doesn't offer real time traffic or updated roads.
Thank you sir for the input.

OP
OP
H

HanoverFist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is also a suspend navigation option that will mute it but the is no mute button per se. Given so many options to accomplish what you want, seems a little rigid to only be happy with a mute button.
So apparently you know what “I am only happy with”. Did not know that GOD trolled these threads and commented on them. As I stated, every vehicle I have owned has had a mute button on the nav screen. I came on here simply seeking an answer and thinking that I may have been missing something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Touchy or what. You may be a little too delicate for the world wide web there buddy. Definitely stay away from Twitter. No worries, won't try to help you again. Have a great day.

OP
OP
H

HanoverFist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Touchy or what. You may be a little too delicate for the world wide web there buddy. Definitely stay away from Twitter. No worries, won't try to help you again. Have a great day.
You weren’t helping. You were being the **** Head that you are. Dont go to crying now that somebody called you. Earth should have a mandatory law that would allow me to fix you. I would change that mouth of yours permanent.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You weren’t helping. You were being the **** Head that you are. Dont go to crying now that somebody called you. I would change that mouth of yours permanent.

Is Dean a bit too direct for you?

It sounds to me that you are the one making this personal, he never attacked you.

This is an internet forum where you have access to endless info from smart guys like Dean. Just don't expect to be coddled like a baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

HanoverFist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is Dean a bit too direct for you?

It sounds to me that you are the one making this personal, he never attacked you.

This is an internet forum where you have access to endless info from smart guys like Dean. Just don't expect to be coddled like a baby.

I know the ole buddy buddy routine from senior members to newbies….I know you have each others back. His comment and assumptions were not necessary. He could have left that off altogether, but he chose to add that crap. He is the way he is because he is on the internet. I can assure you if he was in my presence he would be polite. If he wasn't, I can assure you he would leave that situation and be polite the rest of his life. Moral of the story….be polite….leave out all of the other ******** and personal jabs….it was unnecessary.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everyone needs to take a breath here and relax. The huge problem with communication via text is you are not able to discern attitude or body language or inflection.

I am sure no one meant any harm here. No reason to escalate this.

To OP,

I am not sure about your truck as it is much newer than mine. But If I click the phone icon on my 8.4 with nav, there is a do not disturb button I can check. When that is activated I will get no notifications from my phone and my nav voice dies but my maps still work and my turn by turn still works in the gage cluster. Might be worth a shot? It has been a while since I have used my built in nav though, might have to try it again to refresh my memory how it works.

OP
OP
H

HanoverFist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everyone needs to take a breath here and relax. The huge problem with communication via text is you are not able to discern attitude or body language or inflection.

I am sure no one meant any harm here. No reason to escalate this.

To OP,

I am not sure about your truck as it is much newer than mine. But If I click the phone icon on my 8.4 with nav, there is a do not disturb button I can check. When that is activated I will get no notifications from my phone and my nav voice dies but my maps still work and my turn by turn still works in the gage cluster. Might be worth a shot? It has been a while since I have used my built in nav though, might have to try it again to refresh my memory how it works.
You are correct sir and I may have been a little “jumpy” in my response. I am not looking for a problem and was probably a little too antsy in my responses….I probably should have left it alone and not responded.

Also, thank you for your input to my inquiry.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't have nav on mine, so I use a stand alone Garmin unit. When I want directions for only the last part of a trip, I enter the address I want but I don't hit the "Go" button until I need it. Is that possible with your unit?

OP
OP
H

HanoverFist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have nav on mine, so I use a stand alone Garmin unit. When I want directions for only the last part of a trip, I enter the address I want but I don't hit the "Go" button until I need it. Is that possible with your unit?
Probably so. Some features of the nav work while you are in motion I believe. I may be able to save a destination to my favorites and then activate only when I am ready….if the system allows this. The overall problem is I work in sales and constantly have calls coming in. Would prefer to activate destination at beginning of trip and mute until I am ready, as this would be the least distracting method and what I have been doing for years. Once a habit is created and you are used to doing things a certain way, sometimes change is aggravating…lol. Thanks for the idea…it may be the best available solution.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Probably so. Some features of the nav work while you are in motion I believe. I may be able to save a destination to my favorites and then activate only when I am ready….if the system allows this. The overall problem is I work in sales and constantly have calls coming in. Would prefer to activate destination at beginning of trip and mute until I am ready, as this would be the least distracting method and what I have been doing for years. Once a habit is created and you are used to doing things a certain way, sometimes change is aggravating…lol. Thanks for the idea…it may be the best available solution.

As @crash68 mentioned above. the on-board nav isn't great. I have it, but almost never use it. There isn't way to do what you want.

You can do as he mentioned, which would do as you want. Plug in any phone. use google map. You can keep using the phone hands-free, while having directions working, just press mute on and off on the screen.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
The bad part about turning the volume down is that, even though the voice doesn't come through, it still interrupts the guitar solo from Jake Lee when I'm jamming Ozzy. :favorites37: :cheers:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
You weren’t helping. You were being the **** Head that you are. Dont go to crying now that somebody called you. Earth should have a mandatory law that would allow me to fix you. I would change that mouth of yours permanent.

Ignore feature comes in handy here. If you wouldn't listen to them one bar stool over, no need to listen to them online. You'll figure out who the assholes are pretty quick if you stick around.