Navigation Search Stopped After Guardian Expired

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raymond1821

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2020 Limited was a year old Sept 24,2021 so the Guardian Service expired and I did not renew. when the GuardIan Service stopped the navigation search feature to find a place using address also stopped. Apparently when I used the navigation search during the first year to find a place it was searching on line. When I put in an address now it goes into a “offline” mode but never finds anything.I called Guardian and they said I need their service so the Navigation system can look on line to find an address. The person when on to say she had other 2020 Ram owners with 1500 and some 2500 with the same problem. Never had this happen before with any navigation system. Anybody had this problem and if so did you get resolution?

OP
OP
R

Raymond1821

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is an update to the 2020 Ram navigation issue. After calling Ram and getting to the correct department I found out there is a software problem with the 2020 Ram navigation system. When you are subscripted to the Guardian service your navigation system find locations using your online connection. Once this service expires and you do not renew you find out you do not have offline search capability. Ram is aware of the problem but as of today does not have a fix. If you have this problem I suggest you call and get a case number because they may be months before finding a solution. In the meantime you have a broken system.

Now that think back I recall times when I would be in areas with no cell service and my navigational system could not connect. It tried offline to locate the address but was unable. It did not click their was a problem.

Dvd2021

Reaction score
Ram Year
I have the same exact issue on my 2020 Ram limited with the navigation. I am not able to use the search feature for a location After 1 year of ownership. I am told by the local dealership that it requires a subscription to Sirius xm guardian for it to work. I’ve never heard of a navigation system working this way. I’m paying for a 2020 ram limited $$$ and I have to pay extra to use the factory navigation system properly? I have been told the fix is that you have to pay for sirius xm guardian subscription? Anyone else having this issue or have had it fixed?

turbogreg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3l ecodiesel
Yes i am having the same exact issue on my 2021 Ram 1500 Limited ecodiesel Does anyone have a fix ??

Windman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Here is an update to the 2020 Ram navigation issue. After calling Ram and getting to the correct department I found out there is a software problem with the 2020 Ram navigation system. When you are subscripted to the Guardian service your navigation system find locations using your online connection. Once this service expires and you do not renew you find out you do not have offline search capability. Ram is aware of the problem but as of today does not have a fix. If you have this problem I suggest you call and get a case number because they may be months before finding a solution. In the meantime you have a broken system.

Now that think back I recall times when I would be in areas with no cell service and my navigational system could not connect. It tried offline to locate the address but was unable. It did not click their was a problem.
I too have a 2020 Ram, same exact issue. When I took it to the dealer they just gave me some print outs, said nothing about SirusXM requirement.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
With an issue like this I'd expect them to provide the internet service on the truck then so you are able to use the navigation.

Killroy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L eTorque
Yep, same here for my 2021 1500 Laramie.
But I was dumb enough to buy the $150 map update hoping it would fix it...nope!
Dealer cant fix it and said same thing about the Guardian subscription.
I assume RAM will not expect me to buy from them again in the future due to this scam.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I ordered my 18 they asked about GPS and I told them unless I had in writing for free updates I would be nuts to get it
Learn from this donot get factory GPS
Honda units control the clock and stay a 100 I was told honda is working on it so I guess most manufactures bend customer over the same way

VanD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same problem with my 2020 RAM. Noticed I couldn't use voice search. When I manually enter an address, it says searching offline and then says can't connect. The only way it works is if I select an address that was already saved before the system stopped working! I ordered with full Nav system so I shouldn't have to pay for a subscription through a 3rd party for it to work. I already pay for SiriusXM. I thought maybe I could cancel SiriusXM and buy Guardian. But Guardian told me you don't get the radio package with their subscription! Uconnect is Useless without purchasing Sirius Guardian!

I'm coming into this a little late. Has there been a solution yet other than purchasing Sirius Guardian? Thx...Van

DCR1900

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 & 2021
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same problem with my 2021 RAM 1500 Limited with 12 inch screen, I have talked with several people some have told me that "someone" is supposedly working on a fix and others have told me that to enable the navigation search feature and to activate the microphone; I need an update and yet others have told me I may need a new radio and finally others have told me that I need to purchase a subscription to XM Guardian, needless to write I am not a happy customer.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Time to buy a stand alone Garmin GPS with Lifetime Maps & Traffic

Some other brands may have a similar plan

If you tow a large RV or 5th wheel, a Truckers GPS may work best for you

Gary Dietz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same problem with my 2021 RAM 1500 Limited with 12 inch screen, I have talked with several people some have told me that "someone" is supposedly working on a fix and others have told me that to enable the navigation search feature and to activate the microphone; I need an update and yet others have told me I may need a new radio and finally others have told me that I need to purchase a subscription to XM Guardian, needless to write I am not a happy customer.
I have a 2019 Bighorn, the Guardian subscription has expired and am having no problems with using the voice commeands

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats a strange issue I have a 2021 warlock and mine works fine. I have never used the free internet trial

DCR1900

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 & 2021
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the updates. I did sign up for the cheapest Guardian subscription just to see if the voice recognition feature would start working again and it took it about a week and now the navigation functions as it did when I purchased the vehicle.

Based upon my limited research it seems that the voice or microphone button on the 12" display should function without the subscription; in fact, I spoke with one employee at XM Guardian and they told me that I did not need the subscription to enable the full functionality of the navigation system including the microphone; however, it seems that perhaps it is needed. I suppose somewhere there must be voice recognition software so that when a person clicks on the screen microphone the system is able to understand the commands. Of course, it is possible that it could be contained within the vehicle's computer(s)??

I would like to find someone that actually knows how the system is suppose to function, given that I never used any of the APP based free features of Guardian during my one year free trial other than I did click on the display microphone button and I did type in addresses so that the system would display routes. I also agree with the comments that others have made: the vehicle was not cheap, and clearly the sales folks nor the manual explain how the system actually functions, i.e. that some of us need to buy a subscription. I thought I read somewhere that there is a five year navigation subscription or something and I believe that I have seen that on the display.

To Gary and Mb7640, do you each have the 12 inch display unit?

Thanks!

dengland

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2020 Limited w/o Guardian active. I am only seeing offline searches as well. I went from 34.31 to 40.1 today doing a manual flash. I tried a search and it was offline only. I was hoping maybe as some were reporting that newer SW had fixed the wi-fi errors they were seeing.

Maps are ridiculously old: PROD2019.03.27_MY20_CW13_LUNA_CONTENT_NA Content_NA_HM18Q2. Carplay had its own set of issues (e.g disconnecting a lot) that made Waze less than an ideal substitute. Perhaps the 40.1 will do carplay more reliably.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
does the Navigation work with the Tom-Tom Navigation ?

Or is it still under the old setup:
Nokia.com , Navigation.com , https://www.here.com/ , - Here WeGo

You can down load the map app that Ram used

1. Download WeGo and let's go!​

Head to the app store and download HERE WeGo. Now you’re ready to navigate to your first destination.
Download for iOS Download
for Android
Download for Huawei

It looks like the new Uconnect 5 system is using TomTom navigation

I found the answer
The Navigation System in my 2016 Ram was Pre Loaded into the Infotainment System, it did not use the Internet.
You only paid to update the maps.

Last edited: