Need a new engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlmightyVFL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi all so I had the dreaded head issues where the bolt la broke off. I didn’t know any better or I would have gone a different direction. The first one broke about two years ago and the other one broke in June. Now I am having issues with misfiring and I spoke to my mechanic and he said I’m probably going to have to get a new engine. I’m not 100% sure I will have to yet but I if I do I would like to replace it with the 392 or something with more power. I read that the 392 bolts right up but I don’t know if that’s true. I’m sure there are other options out there as well (as far as engines and components) but what would you all recommend? A new 392 comes with warranty which is really nice. So has anyone out there tried this? Maybe something I haven’t thought of? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have done this what around about should I expect to pay? I’m interested in hearing your opinions, feedback etc. take care and have a blessed day!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi all so I had the dreaded head issues where the bolt la broke off. I didn’t know any better or I would have gone a different direction. The first one broke about two years ago and the other one broke in June. Now I am having issues with misfiring and I spoke to my mechanic and he said I’m probably going to have to get a new engine. I’m not 100% sure I will have to yet but I if I do I would like to replace it with the 392 or something with more power. I read that the 392 bolts right up but I don’t know if that’s true. I’m sure there are other options out there as well (as far as engines and components) but what would you all recommend? A new 392 comes with warranty which is really nice. So has anyone out there tried this? Maybe something I haven’t thought of? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have done this what around about should I expect to pay? I’m interested in hearing your opinions, feedback etc. take care and have a blessed day!
Which 392 are you thinking of? The 485 HP car version,will need the oil pan/pick-up tube / front timing cover /sensors /intake manifold etc,swapped over from your 5.7,and requires you to run at a mininium 91 octane fuel.The truck 6.4 will need your timing cover swapped over,but will run on 87 octane fuel,and you can use it's intake manifold as long as you upgrade to a 6.4 cold air intake (S&B is the popular one being used).
Both will need custom tuning,so they'll require an unlocked PCM

OP
OP
AlmightyVFL

AlmightyVFL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Which 392 are you thinking of? The 485 HP car version,will need the oil pan/pick-up tube / front timing cover /sensors /intake manifold etc,swapped over from your 5.7,and requires you to run at a mininium 91 octane fuel.The truck 6.4 will need your timing cover swapped over,but will run on 87 octane fuel,and you can use it's intake manifold as long as you upgrade to a 6.4 cold air intake (S&B is the popular one being used).
Both will need custom tuning,so they'll require an unlocked PCM
Not really sure, but that gives me something to look into. Which would you recommend? Which one will be more noticeable to me? I’m obviously looking for more power not really concerned with the gas aspect.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Not really sure, but that gives me something to look into. Which would you recommend? Which one will be more noticeable to me? I’m obviously looking for more power not really concerned with the gas aspect.
Both are going to be noticable,but the truck 6.4 has lower compression and better pistons,along with head castings that are very similiar to what you get on a Hellcat,and will handle boost better then the car version,if you ever plan on boosting the engine. The car version definitely makes more power,but it has pistons that have a rep of being glass,and doesn't have as good of head castings. There's a guy in our local club who put a truck 6.4 in his CC 4X4 and it has a noticable amount more tire spinning torque then any stock 5.7 has.
The 475 horse version is definitely the more popular swap,but it's your call on what you want to do with the truck

Heres a couple good articles on the 6.4's

This article on rebuilding a 5.7 is also worth a read through for alot of guys.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
6.4 also has forged steel crankshaft and sodium-filled valves.

It's a helluva engine - except for the stupid roller lifter lubrication (like all Gen III Hemis). Mine has been great, knock on wood (with many mods Forum users suggested).

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
6.4 also has forged steel crankshaft and sodium-filled valves.

It's a helluva engine - except for the stupid roller lifter lubrication (like all Gen III Hemis). Mine has been great, knock on wood (with many mods Forum users suggested).
Your 2500's 6.4 doesn't have the sodium cooled valves,only the 6.4's in the 3500's and heavier trucks get the good valves.
Read the first article completely,it gives you alot of good info

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Your 2500's 6.4 doesn't have the sodium cooled valves,only the 6.4's in the 3500's and heavier trucks get the good valves.
Read the first article completely,it gives you alot of good info

I read a summary some year's back. There was no difference in 6.4 engines used in trucks listed. Did this change?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Seems to me there’s some chapters missing from this book? I say that because early in the week you were posting about upgrades to your 5.7, and now it’s declared junk because of an event in June?

Why are the broken bolts non repairable?

I don’t understand condemning an engine just on the basis of a conversation with a mechanic.

Not that there’s anything wrong with finding reasons to upgrade. :deal:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I read a summary some year's back. There was no difference in 6.4 engines used in trucks listed. Did this change?
As far as i know there's always been 2 versions of the heavy duty 6.4 heads,with the 3500 and up trucks getting the sodium cooled valves and the lighter 2500's just got a normal valve

OP
OP
AlmightyVFL

AlmightyVFL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Seems to me there’s some chapters missing from this book? I say that because early in the week you were posting about upgrades to your 5.7, and now it’s declared junk because of an event in June?

Why are the broken bolts non repairable?

I don’t understand condemning an engine just on the basis of a conversation with a mechanic.

Not that there’s anything wrong with finding reasons to upgrade. :deal:
I was assuming it was going in for a tube up. After replacing the plugs it was still misfiring on cylinder 3. Some issue with the cam. He told me it would need a new engine. The truck has 150k miles on it and I love it but when I found out it needed a new engine I thought why not upgrade. However after thinking about it and talking with people I don’t think it’s wise to drop 10k on a vehicle that is known to have issues. It’s frustrating the heck out of me because I thought it was going to be a simple tune up and maybe some fun upgrades while it was under the knife but it turned into another issue completely.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would get a 2nd opinion. Lots of things can cause a misfire, lifter / cam being just one aspect of it.

Wouldn't know for sure about the cam till the can / lifters are completely inspected or some serious diagnostics on the actual valve lift on all valves are done.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
What bolts are you talking about?
Manifold? Did he check the coil, did he do compression test?
Injector?
Bet he never pulled a valve cover.