Need advice on control arms? Pinion Angle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stansfield187

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2012 1500 crew cab that's lowered 2in in the front and 4 inches in rear. My problem is my pinion angle is off and I have drive line vibration. I can't remember if it was off by 5 or 15 degrees (took it to a transmission shop). I need a solution to adjust my pinion angle. Would that be control arms? If so what kind should I get?

Thanks!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Adjustable ;)

hahaha sorry had to :)

You need adjustable control arms - not sure if you can get away with just a set of lowers or a set of uppers or if you will need them all.
Depending on adjustment I would think you might get enough adjustment of a set of adjustable lowers.

I have no experience on the Ram with them though, so hopefully someone will chime in that has had to use them.

OP
OP
stansfield187

stansfield187

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, unfortunately shops in my area don't know what I need either. I'm hoping someone can give me a brand recommendation with part number or web link. I'm open to all suggestions.

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
have you taken it to an alignment shop to get it aligned? would have a better chance of seeing how far out it is and the shop might know how to adjust/correct

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you measure the length on the upper from bolt to bolt?
I guess lower arms too.

It's possible a Jeep arm might work that is adjustable, I have a set of one of them here.
I think it is 16" bolt to bolt all of the way wound in, I don't know how long the other set is as they are on the Jeep but I could find out.

These are VERY NICE very heavy duty adjustable arms and reasonably priced.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
too bad that your truck does not have leaf springs
If you had leaf springs, you can shim the whole rear differential

I should just keep quiet, i have no idea what is going on.

1684552877551.png

Last edited:

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
The rear lower control arms do not adjust pinion angle, the upper control arms do.

If you are trying to adjust pinion angle, get yourself a set of core 4x4 double adjustable upper rear control arms. They will allow you to adjust the angle without taking the control arm off multiple times.

The pinion angle should be within 3 degrees to be considered optimal.

I've never see a 4 inch drop put a pinion angle that far our of alignment. If it did, bell tech would be out of business.

I suggest you get a 2nd opinion. Here are some suggestions and a video

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The rear lower control arms do not adjust pinion angle, the upper control arms do.

If you are trying to adjust pinion angle, get yourself a set of core 4x4 double adjustable upper rear control arms. They will allow you to adjust the angle without taking the control arm off multiple times.

I've never see a 4 inch drop put a pinion angle that far our of alignment. If it did, bell tech would be out of business.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stansfield187

stansfield187

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

This is a lengthy story and thank you. I will go this route then. This has been driving me up the wall. Here is the history of this issue.

1. Truck was fine with stock gears, not lowered.

2. This part is key - I took the truck to have 4.10 gears put in. It developed drive line vibration. It took me a year to figure out what could be the issue. I replaced the tires, road force balancing etc.

3. I had the truck lowered - meanwhile still trying to find some place to troubleshoot the drive-line vibration.

4. Took it to a trans shop when finally the bell housing came loose. They recommended a Denny's drive shaft - and I was all for it. They told me my pinion angle was off and they were not going to install a new drive shaft until I had the pinion angle corrected.

5. Took it to another shop (Where we are at in this post) They found some control arms and I was like great - let's order them. The shop didn't order them, they even looked at my truck and did nothing with it prior. Didn't give me a part number and didn't tell me what I needed to do.

6. So I came here to figure out what I need. Everytime I ask a shop in this area to find a solution and if they can figure out a way to adjust my pinion angle they say, "We don't do that." So now, I will order these and go from there. The whole theory everyone has given me about the drive line issue is because now the drive shaft is spinning faster because of the gear change causing vibration.