Need Grill insert Swap Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good Afternoon . . . I'm looking to see if anybody has taken the grill assembly completely apart. I want to replace the Laramie black slats with the Tradesman honeycomb insert. I'm having a set of RAM grill letters painted Hydro Blue. Just wondering if the black slats separate from the blue surround fairly easily, so I can make the swap. Probably most wondering why the hell I would want to do it, but the lower grill is honeycomb, the tow hook covers are honeycomb, so I want the grill to match . . . And I'm weird . . . Thanks for any help, advice, or part numbers you can offer . . . Hell, maybe somebody has a tradesman grill in their garage they wanna get rid of . . . Thanks again

Attachments

• HYDRO BLUE.jpg
    HYDRO BLUE.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 8

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
The grill on a 5th gen is TERRIBLE to take apart. I could pull my 4th gen grill apart in about 10 minutes. Just get on Youtube and search for "5th gen ram grill removal". Numerous videos will pop up. I would watch 3 or 4 of them from different people to get a good idea of how to do it. I know this isnt really an answer, but hope it helps.

I ended up stopping because I didnt want to tear the truck up... The hardest part, for me, is you have to remove the piece under the headlight, and that means partially removing the fender flare and the wheel well liner.

OP
OP
BOWERSFJ

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've watched a handful of videos of people taking the whole grill assembly off, and yes the flairs make it a bigger pain, but I've never seen anybody take the grill assembly all the way apart . . . I'm not taking any chances with a brand new truck . . . I'm having a body shop do it, as well as changing all the badging to black

johnts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The front of the DT has to many pieces and odd shapes. It needs to be simplified in design and the number of parts. Shouldn't have to remove fender flares to take out a grill.
In this day of computerized design, that grill must have been designed by someone who just smoked some good weed.

jasonLmarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you end up doing this? I have a new Hydro Blue Laramie and am wanting to do exactly the same thing, and for the same reasons as you.