Need help from the forum, help me keep my Ram.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rparker762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7l
Backstory: I have always been a Chevy guy. Old iron Chevy guy. 70's and 80s 4x4s. Straight axle, tough as nails, go anywhere guy. A few years ago I owned an 84K5 and eventually I started thinking I wanted comfort too. Working at a Chevy dealer as a detail manager, I would see every trade that came into the stealership. One day I decided I wanted something w AC that could still go exploring. Came across my 03 Ram, QC, 5.7 4x4. 96k on the odo. Interior was immaculate except for the crack in the dash. Not bad at all. Body was straight, ran great. Stock height on 20s. Some minor rust on the oil pan and driveshaft and some surface rust on some of the parts on the motor as it came from Michigan or Minnesota. I buy it. Rides like a caddy compared to anything I've owned before. And the power..... At that point I became a convert. Still love old Chevys but I love this truck......... Well I did.....

Changed wheels and tires to 17s for cheaper offroad tire options. Cranked the torsion bars an 1 1/2" and am running 285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs So far the truck has done what I asked. But I'm losing interest in it. I was out yesterday doing a little shooting and wheelin in a wash here in AZ and I've been in this wash before in both my K5 and my old Cherokee. I started thinking that the front end couldn't handle the type of stuff that either of the other two could. In my mind, I'm starting to think this truck, while nice, is more of a light duty, dirt road, sandy wash truck. I worry that if I had to push it, it might not be there for me in a pinch. I worry the front end will explode per se. I worry about the paint, while it does have some AZ pinstriping, it's not deep and will buff out but I am a lot more cautious how I drive it. The clear is starting to crack on the roof. The is a whine from the rear under acceleration that starts about 35 and goes up to about 60. Not tire related, been there since I bought it. It has a vibration that comes and goes from 65 to 75. Not tire related as it has done this since I bought it. Different tires, different wheels, balanced, rotated. Truck pulls to the right slightly. Alignment is in spec, no way to correct unless we counter align it to the left. Every great once in a while, the tranny will slip in reverse. Only for a few seconds but it does it. Truck has about 110k on it now.

I think I might think/feel differently if Ive seen more on this truck, my truck, but I am finding there is not much aftermarket support for my truck. I don't see people using "my" truck like I want to. I have searched but cant find too many pictures of or builds of "my" truck doing the stuff I like to do. I don't see too many upgrade to build strength in my truck. I know the old Chevys have been around long enough to have everything under the sun for them. I know Jeeps and Chevys are not my Ram.

There, I've had my Dr. Phil moment. Please help restore my confidence in this truck. Or I might trade it to my buddy and get my Blazer back.

Oh and for what I like doing? I like running trails. Don't have to be hard trails but if something comes along, I want to be able to handle it. I like muddin, I like exploring. I like rutted hill climbs.

I am a visual person so if someone has a similar truck, please share. It might be what I need to kick start me again.....

Oh and if anyone knows how a bed can make contact with the back of the cab while still tight, let me know. Somehow it happened and now I got two chips in the paint at the cab corners at the top of the bed. And the tailgate now contacts the bumper when opened. Think my buddy's kid jumped it or something when he took it hunting.

And my truck:

And first trip after I bought it:

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sell it. Worries over.

lucapitti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Straight & clear...!! [emoji1]

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You have your doubts about the truck already and it's going to be difficult to get rid of them without throwing a bunch of money at the truck. The main issue with the 1500 4x4s is the independent front suspension as far as I'm concerned. Also coming from Chevys and solid front axles, my opinion is that you are correct and the 1500 4x4 is geared toward light duty off road use. Personally I would have gone for a 2500 4x4 to get the solid front axle. Sell, find a 2500 4x4 and then you will be happy.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
+1 on the change to a 2500.

Not gonna get the reliability of a solid axle in the kind of driving you are doing.

Also, the frame on the 2500 is a lot more rigid and will endure much more in a better fashion.

Hope this helps.