Need Help with Brakes - Pedal going to floor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rustige

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 FFV
2007 Ram 1500, quad cab, 270,000 miles:
I just changed rotors, pads, and calipers all around. I have bleed the brakes 6 or 7 times starting at the passenger rear and working toward the master cylinder. I have bleed the brakes with the key on, in the ignition, out of the ignition, and with the battery removed. The pedal is still going to the floor. This is the third time I have changed rotors and calipers and have never had this issue before. The pedal will build firmness after a few pumps and brake well then. I am at my whits end, it has been two days of bleeding brakes and not getting anywhere. Is this my master cylinder or brake booster? The system acts like there is air in it, and before I changed everything the pedal was firm and braking was really good. I did change the rotors and pads I normally use, I used:
Power Stop K2164 Front and Rear Z23 Evolution Brake Kit with Drilled/Slotted Rotors and Ceramic Brake Pads

I got these off amazon, and have never used these before. I got the calipers from Autozone, Duralast, which I have used before.
Please help!
Thanks,
Mark

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How did you bleed the brakes?
Did you use vacuum or pressure system?
Did you have someone pump the peddle?

If you had some one pump the peddle you could of driven the piston pass where it operated and ruined the seal, causing blow by and ruining the master cylinder. Just thought.
If the system is losing fluid as well, and it's not obvious where is going, like the garage floor, it could be leaking in to the booster.

Just my two cents, for what is it worth.

Good luck.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Delete

Last edited:

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Last edited:

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Last edited:

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, those master cylinders are sensitive as is the ABS sensor's.

Sounds like air in the system or perhaps a collapsed line.

Nothing scares me more than messing with with the brakes and rotors on older trucks like ours " rust " simply due to those damn ABS sensor's......look at them wrong and there goes your day.
RANT over.

Re-bleed, check master cylinder and lines.

OP
OP
R

Rustige

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 FFV
I have not lost any fluid that I can tell, I have used fluid while bleeding and the amount that is bleed out seems to match the amount I have poured into the reservoir. I am bleeding the brakes by pumping the pedal. The next thing I am going to do is change the master cylinder and I can check the booster for fluid.
Thanks!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
1. Did the master cylinder run dry at any point?
2. Have you bled the ABS pump?

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I always gravity bleed brakes, do not touch pedal,, starting at farthest wheel from master cylinder,,open bleeder and let run til its a steady flow no air , then working your way to nearest wheel to master cylinder til you get all 4 wheels done , you can use a hose to help get the fluid through if needed with a vacuum pull of some type. do not let master cylinder get low at any time ,,after this the first time pedal may go to floor but 2nd pump should be full pedal,,I have never had to bleed out the ABS system but not saying you wont have to but I never have had an issue

2nd way to bleed is have truck started an running , start at farthest wheel from master cylinder , first pump up pedal and hold down tight, loosen bleeder while holding pedal down it may drop more to floor but keep holding pedal down with a good force of pressure until bleeder is tighten back up ,,repeat until no air and go to every wheel farthest to closet to master cylinder repeating the bleeding process process , and you may need to check fluid level as you go to make sure reservoir stays full and doesn't get low at anytime through the bleeding process , and try leaving top off or loose on master cylinder while bleeding or at least if it doesn't spray fluid out while pumping pedal up for pressure while bleeding , this helps from hurting the ABS system ,,again I have never had to bleed out the ABS system but not saying you wont have to but I never have had an issue

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been using a pressure style bleeder for decades without issues (just remember to cap off the vent port at the reservoir).

What you are describing sounds like a faulty master cylinder, vacuum booster, or ABS valve stuck open (if you have ABS). With all new calipers/pads/rotors you should have a very firm pedal. I have done that same upgrade kit on other trucks - usually with stainless braided lines) and it's a 200% improvement over stock.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
A very simple method is to just open each bleed and let gravity due the work. Takes longer but will work if you don't have a pressure bleeder. I have ran into this problem before on a gm truck. It turned out to be a booster. Well it may have been a booster. I ended up pressure bleeding it.

I have stopped using the pumping method due to pedal travel and trust in the assistant. Hopefully I will never have to deal with this again. I plan to not keep vehicles that need major updates like I have done when I was younger and had the time and no money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk