Need help with DDM HID and RS projector harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would do this in two separate phases in order to isolate potential issues.

First, get the conversion harness installed, and run the new projector headlights with the original halogen bulbs to make sure everything works, and there are no errors. Using 1500ram12’s pic in the previous post of the conversion harness, plug the big 14 way connector into the projector headlight housings. Plug the truck’s black connector into the 3-way connector on the conversion harness that has the resistors on the wires. Plug the truck’s green connector into the other 3-way connector on the conversion harness. Use the original halogen bulbs. Slide the headlights in the holes temporarily so they don’t fall off the bumper, and run through all the headlight switch settings with the truck running. Check the highs and lows to make sure they come on. Check the parking lights and make sure you’re not getting any bulb out errors. Run each turn signal for a good minute or so, and run the hazards. If all is good, install the HID kit. NOTE: if your truck originally had dual headlights (one bulb served the purpose of high and low beams), then the low beam bulbs will turn off when the high beam bulbs are turned on. This is normal.

For the HID kit, this is how to connect everything if you are mounting the ballasts outside of the headlights:

WeJG37g.jpg

Green circles- connect these together

Blue circle- correct

Red circle- plug this into the connector inside the headlight housing that you unplugged from the low beam halogen bulb.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I would do this in two separate phases in order to isolate potential issues.

First, get the conversion harness installed, and run the new projector headlights with the original halogen bulbs to make sure everything works, and there are no errors. Using 1500ram12’s pic in the previous post of the conversion harness, plug the big 14 way connector into the projector headlight housings. Plug the truck’s black connector into the 3-way connector on the conversion harness that has the resistors on the wires. Plug the truck’s green connector into the other 3-way connector on the conversion harness. Use the original halogen bulbs. Slide the headlights in the holes temporarily so they don’t fall off the bumper, and run through all the headlight switch settings with the truck running. Check the highs and lows to make sure they come on. Check the parking lights and make sure you’re not getting any bulb out errors. Run each turn signal for a good minute or so, and run the hazards. If all is good, install the HID kit. NOTE: if your truck originally had dual headlights (one bulb served the purpose of high and low beams), then the low beam bulbs will turn off when the high beam bulbs are turned on. This is normal.

For the HID kit, this is how to connect everything if you are mounting the ballasts outside of the headlights:

WeJG37g.jpg

Green circles- connect these together

Blue circle- correct

Red circle- plug this into the connector inside the headlight housing that you unplugged from the low beam halogen bulb.

Damn man way to come through!

Nice explanation all around!:head3::headbang:

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks a lot guys. When I hooked the conversion harness to the factory projectors, just headlights or parking lights will only work. Not both

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Called retro shop today, to getxz replacement projector adaptors...and message came on from Jeremy saying they are on vacation, and won't answer calls till they are back on June 24th.
They sell millions of dollars worth of morimoto headlights, but can't find someone to answer their calls while they are away. Pretty poor customer service on their part.
Now I have to wait till the 24th to hear Jeremy's response for a junk product, then wait for the new set of replacements to arrive.
Wouldn't recommend morimoto to my worst enemy.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Jeremy isn't part of morimoto. Yes he sells their stuff and buys supplies from The retrofit source but are 2 different companies. It does suck he's on vacation and doesn't have anyone to respond back with answers, but he is a small business.

I will agree that morimoto products have issues. Had issues with a hid kit on a 2010 that I had. Kept replacing ballast finally gave up.

I forget but you said you could either get park/turn to work or low/highs to work but not both at the same time, correct? Are your headlights oem or aftermarket?

2018 2500 6.4L

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jeremy isn't part of morimoto. Yes he sells their stuff and buys supplies from The retrofit source but are 2 different companies. It does suck he's on vacation and doesn't have anyone to respond back with answers, but he is a small business.

I will agree that morimoto products have issues. Had issues with a hid kit on a 2010 that I had. Kept replacing ballast finally gave up.

I forget but you said you could either get park/turn to work or low/highs to work but not both at the same time, correct? Are your headlights oem or aftermarket?

2018 2500 6.4L

Factory projectors with ram insignia on them. I have narrowed it down to the projector harness from Jeremy.
With the amount of morimoto parts he sells, he should have a secretary.
Now I have to wait to be able to use just my factory projectors.

SportyJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Factory projectors with ram insignia on them. I have narrowed it down to the projector harness from Jeremy.
With the amount of morimoto parts he sells, he should have a secretary.
Now I have to wait to be able to use just my factory projectors.
I had an issue with my set and tried everything.
It turned out to be one of the relays on the power harness.

Seanbeck1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have what might sound like a stupid question. I installed a DDM Tuning HID kit on my Ram back in January. Today one of my lights went out. Is there a way to tell if it’s a bulb or ballast? Do you get a ‘bulb out’ warning on your dash with HID kits installed?

I have both Retroshop conversion harness adaptors and a DDM tuning HID kit installed.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Have what might sound like a stupid question. I installed a DDM Tuning HID kit on my Ram back in January. Today one of my lights went out. Is there a way to tell if it’s a bulb or ballast? Do you get a ‘bulb out’ warning on your dash with HID kits installed?

I have both Retroshop conversion harness adaptors and a DDM tuning HID kit installed.

To test if you can make leads to connect to the hid kit you can do it off the battery, or just start swapping thing's around with the working side to see what isn't working. If you have a canbus adapter you won't get a light out message because it's fooling the computer to think the truck still has halogen bulbs and won't let the computer read actual voltage

2018 2500 6.4L

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jeremy at retroshop is mailing me a new drivers side harness.
Edit...
I didn't buy them from Jeremy. Bought them from retrofit source direct. Now I can't get ahold of them to fix their problem.

Last edited: