Need new shock suggestions, not sure what to get

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dryates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've posted her a few times before. I'm probably over analyzing the hell out of the different shock choices. I'm currently running bils 5100 in front at 2.7 and have a 1 inch spacer in rear, mevotech UCA. Everything else is stock. I like the road driving of the bils but my backroading experience as of late has been harsh to say the least. I can feel every singe bump and it rattles the hell out of my truck unless I'm going faster. I would like something similar in terms of ride height and I like how the truck takes corners fairly well, but I'm quite over the shaking I experience in the truck on crappy county back roads.

I've been looking at fox, eibach, and Icon and the Icons are at the top of the list, but I've probably read too many forums and am not sure at this point.

If I could get any last minute suggestions/recommendations I would really appreciate it.20230503_105250.jpg

Edit: also should I get new uca's and how much of a difference would it actually make?

Last edited:

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
What tires are you running, and the condition of them?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How often are doing back roads? What speeds are you usually trying to run on the back roads?

If you do 2.5 coil overs up front, then definitely do the ICON UCA's. Feel free to message me and we can figure out what setup would fit your needs and budget best. We offer all those brands you mentioned and more

OP
OP
Dryates

Dryates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How often are doing back roads? What speeds are you usually trying to run on the back roads?

If you do 2.5 coil overs up front, then definitely do the ICON UCA's. Feel free to message me and we can figure out what setup would fit your needs and budget best. We offer all those brands you mentioned and more
Use backroads 3-4 times a week, my current setup just feels harsh when I hit the county backroads that have years and years of damage and potholes filled in cheaply, uneven roads and such.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use backroads 3-4 times a week, my current setup just feels harsh when I hit the county backroads that have years and years of damage and potholes filled in cheaply, uneven roads and such.
Thank you for your message. I have responded with options and pricing for each one. I would say go for the best package that fits your budget. Those types of roads can really be tough on basic 2.0 shocks.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
20" wheels with that choice of tire size is horribe for offroad. You literally have no sidewall to cushion the ride and more likely you're running 40 psi or more. Your choice of UCA's is also not good, Made in China OE type UCA's that mimic the factory ones that are good at stock height so if you're running the truck hard the BJ's in those UCA's will not like those angles for a long time.

Take it from somebody who runs a RAM 1500 on dirt roads in the Socal desert for fun with Kings 2.5 suspension and Icon UCA's and Clayton rear control arms, Clayton trackbar etc etc etc. 126k miles here and my truck still have the original factory unmolested tierods, hubs, CV axels and front lower control arms. I can i give it gas on fire roads and washboards at 50-60mph without any squeaks and that's on 315/70/17 E rated KO2's with 17x9 Raceline Clutch wheels. I run my tires at 32psi on the street but i'll go down to 28psi when i'm running dirt roads only that doesn't have technical obstacles, i put them at 18psi if i'm running technical trails with rocks and the like. Setup do matter and been honest with you Bistein 5100 are street shocks. If you want a piece of mind upgrade look at no less than 2.5 shocks front and rear. don't settle 2.5 in the front with 2.0 in the back RAMs are too heavy for 2.0 shocks, at least if you're considering running a little faster than driving miss daisy in the dirt :)