Need to make a HUGE Rant....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Longhorn 4x4 2003 LY Evo VIII ER Built 2.2L
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
Alright so I have this 2014 Laramie.....

I have nothing against Ram or Dodge as my grandpa worked for Chrysler for 30 years, my family eats sleeps and breathes Mopar!!

But as of right now I am VERY disappointed in my Ram.

My truck is Very well taken care of and it barely has 8k miles on it now.

Current issues.....

3rd brake light leaks, blew out the 3rd brake light, and now has rusted all the brackets for the seats in my back seat of my truck. I know it's a common issue I just need to get it fixed and now it rusted my ****!!!!

The window trim on both the driver front door and passenger front door is coming up, like the black rubber stuff, both sides in the same spot are like falling off, who knows why I hand wash my truck.

The top glove box doesn't latch shut unless you SLAM it shut, it doesn't just simply close.

My cruise control shuts OFF when you hit the resume button, it thinks I'm hitting the off button next to it, happens 9/10 times. It's annoying as hell.

I'm getting a whistling noise front the front driver door as if the seal is leaking air, when I go about 50mph it's a high pitched noise such as wind is leaking in, like the seal is compromised. It's clean I've checked no rips.

And now my back up camera screen just turns blue when I put the truck in reverse, like the camera doesn't even show up the screen just turns blue!

I understand some of these are little things that are easily fixed, such as the brake light being resealed. The point is that, this is a new $50k truck and I'm having all these damn issues with it, I'm so irritated about it. I mean it's not just like a little thing here or there it's like oh one thing broke here's another, then oh wait let me add another. Is it ever going to end?! I don't want to give my truck to the dealer and have it end up being in the shop for weeks. This dealer is small and does not offer loaner cars and I have school I have to go to 3 times a week so I need a car, so then it puts me in a bad place. Like should I call corporate Ram and address my issue before I go to the dealer?

I'm really glad I have the 70k mile max care warranty ontop of the factory warranty because I feel this truck is going to be an issue for me.

Sorry for the rant but damn I'm irritated. I expected more from Ram and if I wanted a truck that broke all the time I would have bought a Ford!!

/rant

Joe

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, sorry to hear about all the issues. I do totally fel for you though, this is my first big dollar car purchase, first brand new car ever. So I would, and do, expect a nice product for the price. I am very happy thats what I have got (knock on wood). Hopefully this is the last of your trucks issues and the current ones get fixed.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree. A 50k truck should not have issues.

Regarding the whistle. If you have tow mirrors flip them up to see if the whistle goes away. Mine stopped. Now I need to find a fix.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Several of those issues sound like they could be software update related. Make sure the dealer flashes the truck with all the latest updates. The other stuff just has to get fixed. Anything rusted from the leak should be changed for you too, including any fabric that may be stained/mildewed. My dealer doesn't have rental cars, but arranged one for me from enterprise when my truck needed service. Yours should do the same. I'd insist and see if they refuse before calling Mopar directly.

As always, be nice but firm. The dealer doesn't build the truck, and you need them to want to fix it.

Last edited:

cardboard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Brother in Law bought a 2013 6 cylinder ram truck on sale.
Everytime he had it to not want to start. And he had to turn the key off and on several times to get it to crank.
The dealer said it needed a software update.
He took it to the dealer and got a software update. And it just kept doing the same thing.
Why don't these trucks come with the software that then need when you buy them.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Once they release the truck into the real world and problems emerge they keep adding updates to address problems. That's why none of these vehicles today will ever become barn find classics after the software support is gone. Same reason your computer at home keeps getting updates. There's no such thing as a valuable classic computer. LOL

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorry you are having those issues and I fully understand. Truth is though, all the brands will have this kinda problem because everytime they build a model and get all bugs out, they change the whole damn thing up just so they can sell more "New & Improved" trucks. To me, "New & Improved" means chock fulla flaws, bugs and future TSBs and recalls.

TxCowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NONE
I learned a long, long time ago to never buy the first production year of anything.

Give the builder a year or two to work out the major bugs then go buy the product.

harrison725

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get the same whistle noise at 50mph coming from my drivers door that you are talking about... Anyone else get this???

bigfoot2219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd march it back up to the dealer and give them the full walkthrough on it. a "rerant". My dealer would give me a bag of popcorn a soda and call me when they're done ordering the parts, and I only have a $35K truck. For 50K I would expect a back rub while I wait.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I learned a long, long time ago to never buy the first production year of anything.

Give the builder a year or two to work out the major bugs then go buy the product.

This truck is 5 model years old... how long do you want us to wait!?

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I would do up a letter with the same content you have in your OP, describe briefly how disappointed you are in your experience and it is making you regret your purchase. Request the email address or contact information for your regional Ram rep for escalated complaints and CC them a copy of it. Take the letter into the dealer and request a response to the letter. Don't accept verbal promises, get it in writing. Once this happens you have Ram's attention, who will whip the dealer into shape for you... it saves you needing to get upset or pushy with the dealer. The dealer will present a plan to address your concerns and should make sure you get looked after.

The difference between this, and a used car is that you have that escalation path that allows you to contact your dealership's boss and they can have a 1 way discussion if they need to.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Because of your max care warranty you get a loaner car if a repair is going to take more than 1 day I believe, and they are required to abide by that. So they either will give you a car off of the lot or call a rental car company.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I would do up a letter with the same content you have in your OP, describe briefly how disappointed you are in your experience and it is making you regret your purchase. Request the email address or contact information for your regional Ram rep for escalated complaints and CC them a copy of it. Take the letter into the dealer and request a response to the letter. Don't accept verbal promises, get it in writing. Once this happens you have Ram's attention, who will whip the dealer into shape for you... it saves you needing to get upset or pushy with the dealer. The dealer will present a plan to address your concerns and should make sure you get looked after.

The difference between this, and a used car is that you have that escalation path that allows you to contact your dealership's boss and they can have a 1 way discussion if they need to.

I would do this but take out 95% of the word "like" you have in your OP.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
One other option if things don't well with your dealer. California has what it called the Buearu of Automotive Repair (BAR). My service tech at my work told me about the BAR. I was being ****** around by the local Ford dealer on a repair. Service tech at work told me when I had my meeting with the General Manager and Service Manager that I will file a complaint with the BAR. When I did tell them the whole conversation change and a resolution came within 20 minutes after they had a separate private meeting. This may only be a California thing but check your state website too.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's no such thing as a valuable classic computer.

actually there is. there's certain early models that are worth quite a bit. i agree tho with all the electronics on new vehicles no one is going to be searching for them 30+ years from now unless it's for scrap

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Ya, my 8088xt isn't going to pay for my retirement.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

richwoodrocket

Reaction score
Ram Year
I don't have one :(
Engine
6.7 cummins
I think that if the dealer is unable to provide the adequate service to you (as you describe) then you should contact someone higher up at ram. You can't be the only one having problems that need solutions the dealer is unable to fulfil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
*Driver's Door Whistle...

Fold the driver's mirror in, clean the little mounds it locks back onto, fold it back open. Recheck.

If that doesn't solve it consider not looking at the door seals themselves but the thin foam strip at the front of the door jam where the fender meets the cowl. If the foam get's knocked it allows wind noise. If you see any leaves, etc at the top, or the bottom of there, clean that out also. Recheck.

If all else fails, check the windshield rubber where it meets about 3-4" up from the bottom corners. If that corner trim piece is fine, but the side section corner is curled up, try taping it down temporarily with blue tape. Recheck.

If it's the rubber windshield trim, a small dab of FIPG to keep it from curling back up will stop the noise.

If unclear I can get pics to clarify but you'll have to wait a day for me to get back home.

**YMMV**

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you had the truck to the dealer for any of these things yet? Are they unable to fix it? It sucks you are having problems but little **** like seals and stuff go bad. You just need to get it taken care of. That's the point of the warranty. Don't wait until you have a whole laundry list of stuff and are unhappy with the truck.

Last edited: