Needs some opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparornocar0346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
285/75/16 or 265/75/16
What’s up y’all, it’s tax season again a I’m in the market for some tires. I have a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd auto stock suspension. Been doing some research on what time imma get I know for sure that I want some mud tires but I’m set on a size yet. My truck as of right now has 265/75/16 on it and they look fairly decent. But I plan on getting a 2” front leveling kit soon. So should I go with a 285 or will the 265 look ok with the leveling kit. I know so power loss and some mpg will go down with the 285s especially with the stock 3.55 gear. What r ya thoughts, if y’all have any pictures of ur truck with this setup please post so I can get an idea of what it will look like. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
285s are nice but what wheels do you have? Wheels will be the biggest part if you wish to avoid rubbing

OP
OP
Moparornocar0346

Moparornocar0346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
285s are nice but what wheels do you have? Wheels will be the biggest part if you wish to avoid rubbing

Stock 16x7 chrome. Wanting upgrade those to but tires is gonna take all my money probably. I can always get wheel later. I had a set of 285 on a 01 1500 that I had but it had the 318 5 speed in it. I thought about just keeping the 265 they shouldn’t look to bad with a leveling kit. I can always upgrade later. Idk I’m just undecided

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Level with help with 285s rubbing but they likely still will a tad. 265s would probably look a little small with it

OP
OP
Moparornocar0346

Moparornocar0346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
Level with help with 285s rubbing but they likely still will a tad. 265s would probably look a little small with it

Well I googled it and there was a dodge 1500 2gen on this website called offsetwheels or something like that and they had a rough country leveling kit with 265 and yea they looked small but not to bad

OP
OP
Moparornocar0346

Moparornocar0346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
CustomOffsets lol. They have a large gallery, my truck is on there even

Yea that’s it lol. Yea they did for sure. Idk I wanna do a 2” level so maybe they won’t look so bad. The tires I have on there now look small but they r wore out

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
2.5 inch Leveling spacer and 285 Ats. Just barely touched the bottom rail of the drivers plastic inner fender line at full lock. Factory chrome rims. 321374.jpeg

OP
OP
Moparornocar0346

Moparornocar0346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
2.5 inch Leveling spacer and 285 Ats. Just barely touched the bottom rail of the drivers plastic inner fender line at full lock. Factory chrome rims. View attachment 152991

Nice well I was sitting here think an done some research will effect my truck much at all bc my gear is still the stock gear and it’s 3.55

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
There's an exponential need for torque to launch the larger size tire at the same level as the previous smaller lighter. The specific term is unsprung weight.

Your acceleration under a given throttle setting will be reduced, If I had to guess, I'd say as high as 30% It also takes more power to maintain a given speed, so punching the gas harder will cost you mileage. Owners try to work around this by keeping the OD off but that only affects speeds above 40 mph, and doesn't affect the lockup.

The best, but not cheap way is to change gears. Something in the 3:91 to 4:10 ratio would bring the acceleration back and not affect your gas mileage.

Sorry to tell you this, but typical bolt on engine mods and tunes will not help you, unless you go with supercharging or an off idle nitrous shot.

OP
OP
Moparornocar0346

Moparornocar0346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
There's an exponential need for torque to launch the larger size tire at the same level as the previous smaller lighter. The specific term is unsprung weight.

Your acceleration under a given throttle setting will be reduced, If I had to guess, I'd say as high as 30% It also takes more power to maintain a given speed, so punching the gas harder will cost you mileage. Owners try to work around this by keeping the OD off but that only affects speeds above 40 mph, and doesn't affect the lockup.

The best, but not cheap way is to change gears. Something in the 3:91 to 4:10 ratio would bring the acceleration back and not affect your gas mileage.

Sorry to tell you this, but typical bolt on engine mods and tunes will not help you, unless you go with supercharging or an off idle nitrous shot.

No man I’m glad u told this for sure. Bc it has 265s and it has plenty of power. I don’t wanna risk mpg or power right now bc I’m still trying to work the kinks out from the pervious owner. I believe I’ll stick with the 265s and level it. They may look small after the level but it won’t be to bad. Can’t really afford the gear right now either lol

Slowhand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my '95 2wd, I've had a few different wheel & tire combinations. Right now, I'm running 3rd-gen 17" factory-wheels with 265-70-17 tires & I haven't had any issues with tire rub. The 265-70-17 are roughly the same height/diameter as a 31/10.5/15 tire. But i did replace the speedometer gear to keep speedometer accurate.