Negotiating and buying via email

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am from the Mid-Atlantic area and I did my search on the RAM inventory site for both my area and upstate New York. I got pretty close with a dealership near you but I actually bought mine from the vestal ram dealership. They are connected with Binghamton ram on upper Front Street and also with Tony domiano which is in Scranton, which is actually where my truck was. The first time I saw my truck was the day I went in to pick it up, they did all the paperwork beforehand so it was a pretty simple process and I did all my negotiations over the internet. I don't believe I even talked to dealer on the phone before meeting them in person. Just figure out what you want to pay, check the inventory in the area find the ones you want and just email on those. If you have a trade-in, you can get a pretty good valuation of it from either Kelley Blue book, carvana, or CarMax website. I was in discussions with four or five dealerships including one up near you, but couldn't get just to the price point I wanted. I actually walked away if you will from emailing for a week or so and that is when I got my deal. And as other poster said having the window sticker available to you is very crucial. And last night, don't fall for the savings off MSRP, because they leave the destination charge in that value to show savings then they try to add it back in. while my dealership didn't do that, two others did and refused to acknowledge that the MSRP was part of their savings value all along.

Good luck

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi,
I’m “kicking the tires” so to speak on trading in my ‘11 Ram Sport for a 2020 Big Horn with either North or Sport appearance package. But I have a medical situation that prevents me from driving around to dealerships.

I’m wondering how common it is to buy a vehicle primarily by email and phone? The problem I’m running into is dealerships aren’t specifying what package the truck has (they just call them Big Horn) with stock photos, and email to dealership results in “when can you come in for a test drive?” They really want you there, I imagine it’s a sales tactic.

So please share your stories of purchasing your Ram over the Internet, and any tips you might have. Thanks!

I had a good experience - Jeep Wrangler tho, not Ram, but same manufacturer/dealer.

My case was unique though. I was overseas and the dealer was on the west coast (NOT Kalifornia). So we HAD TO do everything email, phone, fax. It went well, I paid the dealer a little extra and he arranged and put it on the boat for me, gave me the shipping info, and I hounded the shipping company until they affirmed its arrival at my port. Picked it up, it was still cherry. No problem with the negotiation, payment, shipping.

HOWEVER, I tried replicating that methodology when I returned to the states, and I found that dealers would only go so far with entertaining you over the wires - eventually they wanted you in-person. (You know, so they can do their 14 steps of jedi mind trickery salesman smarmy techniques.)

I guess if you really push that you have medical reasons you cant go to their showroom, they might acquiesce and deal with you over the inter-webs only... Me personnaly tho, i cannot imagine how anyone would be medically able enuff to drive a ram (and climb in it) yet not be able to go buy a ram at a stealership lot. (do not reply with your personal medical information - i'm just saying, I've had family member who were medically unable to tolerate hours at a stealership, going out in the weather, whatnot. Those people wouldn't be driving a Ram, they'd be riding the municipal/county transportation system for ill folk.)

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My recent purchase was over text and email. I found the truck I wanted, fou d a few.good.prices online e and one dealer seemed more willing than others to play ball and deal. I sent him some of the lower prices I fou d and he asked what I would pay to buy theirs. Listed was 38600. I told him I'd go 37500 to go with him. He said they couldnt do it at first. A couple days later I sent him another I found at 38200. I then got a reply that he could so 37243!!! I called and said I'd be down next day. Before I showed up, I saw on their site they give. $500 first responder discounts. I asked for that and after a second of hesitation, he said good to go. So I got my 2020 Ram 150p crew night edition 5.7 for 28% off MSRP at 36743. I was happy with how that all went down and went in and signed the next day. It did take 2 hrs in shop to finish, but i got their 1st thi g and they didnt have the truck gassed detailed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

They will never have the truck gassed and detailed when they tell you to come in and pick it up. That's so they can re-attempt to talk you into scotch guard and paint sealant and Zeibart rust proofing.

OP
OP
Dgriffi2

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So if my math is right the sticker price was about $51,000? And you got it down to under $37,000? That’s pretty amazing!

My recent purchase was over text and email. I found the truck I wanted, fou d a few.good.prices online e and one dealer seemed more willing than others to play ball and deal. I sent him some of the lower prices I fou d and he asked what I would pay to buy theirs. Listed was 38600. I told him I'd go 37500 to go with him. He said they couldnt do it at first. A couple days later I sent him another I found at 38200. I then got a reply that he could so 37243!!! I called and said I'd be down next day. Before I showed up, I saw on their site they give. $500 first responder discounts. I asked for that and after a second of hesitation, he said good to go. So I got my 2020 Ram 150p crew night edition 5.7 for 28% off MSRP at 36743. I was happy with how that all went down and went in and signed the next day. It did take 2 hrs in shop to finish, but i got their 1st thi g and they didnt have the truck gassed detailed.

tcm4950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hi,
I’m “kicking the tires” so to speak on trading in my ‘11 Ram Sport for a 2020 Big Horn with either North or Sport appearance package. But I have a medical situation that prevents me from driving around to dealerships.

I’m wondering how common it is to buy a vehicle primarily by email and phone? The problem I’m running into is dealerships aren’t specifying what package the truck has (they just call them Big Horn) with stock photos, and email to dealership results in “when can you come in for a test drive?” They really want you there, I imagine it’s a sales tactic.

So please share your stories of purchasing your Ram over the Internet, and any tips you might have. Thanks!
I bought my bighorn with 1800 miles on it over the net via email and texts. Guy drove it for 3-4 months decided he wanted a Chevy instead and traded it in....has everything on it I wanted except wireless phone charger. Got an awesome deal

IMG_20200203_153538_773.jpg

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had no success by email despite my sincere and multiple efforts over the years. Maybe it's just the market in SE Louisiana or maybe I just suck at it. All I get is robo responses. Once I got an "I will check for you" but no follow up.

nohitter1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if my math is right the sticker price was about $51,000? And you got it down to under $37,000? That’s pretty amazing!
Yeah. 36752 I believe was the final price.

Mudders Beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used print outs of online quotes from competitors to get a better deal at the local dealer. Amazing how they dropped their “lowest price” upon seeing them. Its a negotiation game.

nohitter1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used print outs of online quotes from competitors to get a better deal at the local dealer. Amazing how they dropped their “lowest price” upon seeing them. Its a negotiation game.
Yeah...they like to claim they cant go any lower because of online competition,but they always do.

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my last 3 vehicles (no trade) over the internet. I rarely trade in, so it was pretty simple. Once, the price was agreed on, I did phone the person I was dealing with to arrange down payment, final payment, and my travel arrangements to the dealership (for 2 of the deals, I flew in, and was picked up by the dealer at the airport; for the other deal, I drove a rental car in and had the dealer turn in the car to Enterprise Rental for me).

For the one time, I had a vehicle. I sold it to CarMax. CarMax paid me $2,500 more than the local dealer offered me on trade-in. Some dealers are just crooks,

As others have mentioned, you should be able to view dealer stock and specific window stickers through Ram's / FCA's website.

Also, TrueCar charges dealers a fee, so you will not get your best deal through TrueCar. You are better off negotiating on your own. And as others have stated, end of the month and end of the quarter is the best time to get a deal. Also, if the dealer does not have an internet sales managers, then try to deal with their highest volume salesperson. The highest volume salesperson is often in line for a bonus, that the average sales person is not, so they are really willing to work with you to close a deal.

Of note, some stealerships do not like on-line negotiating and cash deals. They want to make money off of the buyer not only on the sale of the vehicle, but on the financing, the add-ons (extra warranty, dealer installed options, etc.), and on your trade-in.

John Lardino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What I found to work for me was to use the Ram website to search for vehicles within whatever distance with whatever specs. I live 60 NW of Chicago and I had a very specific combination of items I wanted on my '19 Big Horn. I literally had to search in 150 mile increments from Chicago to Minneapolis to St. Louis to Orlando, Atlanta, up the eastern seaboard and then back towards home. Found the EXACT truck I wanted in Detroit. Contacted their web sales contact, negotiated a deal via email, picked up my cheque from the bank, drove to Detroit, met a real person who had the truck waiting for me and drove it home! It was the best buying experience I have ever had! The searching part was the hardest part, but internet shopping was kinda fun! Best regards, John

GB Packer Fan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my 2016 via e-mail. I had sent 5 somewhat local dealers (within 100 miles) the specs I wanted and said I wanted to order it. Asked for their best price. Via e-mail you deal with either the internet sales staff or their fleet vehicle department. I got their best prices ( with incentives /discounts) and sent the best price to the others to see if they could match or beat it. Picked the best price, had to go in and sign some papers with the deposit, waited a couple months for the build (checked as it was being built and checked the build sheet when completed to ensure I got the truck I ordered). It was delivered to the dealer, went in and signed the papers with no problems. Smoothest vehicle transaction I've had and didn't have to deal with salesmen and shady/high pressure sales tactics. I get it serviced at a local dealer. Great way to do business since trucks/cars are really a commodity and the dealer has no carrying cost.

I few weeks later I found out about Dennis Dillon in Id. Could have saved a couple grand more including a flight there, overnight hotel and driving back to FL including food and hotels. They have a great reputation and do a lot of non-local internet sales. High volume dealer (how they make their $$) and have a many trucks in inventory. They also will order the truck you want and apply all current incentives and discount you qualify for. Only thing is you have to use their financing to get the best discount. I'll be buying my next truck there.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
They will never have the truck gassed and detailed when they tell you to come in and pick it up. That's so they can re-attempt to talk you into scotch guard and paint sealant and Zeibart rust proofing.
On the contrary. Mine was polished up, full of gas sitting just outside the showroom under cover when I arrived to pick mine up. Sales rep said you need to drive before you sign for it. Got back to the dealership and was asked if I still wanted it. I could have walked if I didn’t. Not once was there any mention of up-sale items. Yes there are way too many old school hard sell dealers. But there are good ones too. You just have to have enough self discipline to say no and be willing to walk away from the the bad ones.

OP
OP
Dgriffi2

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks everyone for your input. Unfortunately we just had our taxes done and the results will prevent us from making any major purchases for a while!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am from the Mid-Atlantic area and I did my search on the RAM inventory site for both my area and upstate New York. I got pretty close with a dealership near you but I actually bought mine from the vestal ram dealership. They are connected with Binghamton ram on upper Front Street and also with Tony domiano which is in Scranton, which is actually where my truck was. The first time I saw my truck was the day I went in to pick it up, they did all the paperwork beforehand so it was a pretty simple process and I did all my negotiations over the internet. I don't believe I even talked to dealer on the phone before meeting them in person. Just figure out what you want to pay, check the inventory in the area find the ones you want and just email on those. If you have a trade-in, you can get a pretty good valuation of it from either Kelley Blue book, carvana, or CarMax website. I was in discussions with four or five dealerships including one up near you, but couldn't get just to the price point I wanted. I actually walked away if you will from emailing for a week or so and that is when I got my deal. And as other poster said having the window sticker available to you is very crucial. And last night, don't fall for the savings off MSRP, because they leave the destination charge in that value to show savings then they try to add it back in. while my dealership didn't do that, two others did and refused to acknowledge that the MSRP was part of their savings value all along.

Good luck

That Vestal dealership you got your ram at is right across the river from me. Go figure I've gone to Maryland to get a ram before, they just never seem to have the truck I'm looking for at any of my local dealers. Funny how that works. How long ago did you get your truck? I was trying to remember how long that dealer has been open for, can't be more than a year or two.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure how long they have been open. Bought my last one when it was across from the University. I actually found the truck in Scranton and they brought it up to their Vestal office.

Bill Carroll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I haven't bought a vehicle in a showroom in the past 20 years. When you go in they play all the well known games, waste your time etc. You lose control of the process. All my shopping has been over the internet and then price negotiations by email and text.
It's easy to see dealer inventories online. I contact multiple dealers and take negotiations from there. Sometimes a dealer will say you need to come in to the showroom to get their best price and a sales order but that's not true. I've seen very few over 20 years willing to give up a chance at a deal. Now they don't always come to the price I want. In that case I'm never in a rush and wait until the market improves.
On my most recent 2019 Ram 2500 Megacab Limited, I contacted about quite a few dealers that had trucks with the equipment I wanted. Almost all of them came down to a particular bottom line and wouldn't go any further. There was one dealer that said I needed to come into the dealership. I refused, and the next day they got back to me with a price that beat all the other dealers by $3k. We did everything by text/email (never even spoke over the phone.) They delivered the truck to my house that night - did the paperwork in my kitchen. Very happy with the purchase.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
With my diesel truck purchased in 2011 there was no problem with getting a complete detailed listing of all the truck components and packages and added items. Based on the details I selected a truck from a dealer located 120 miles or 3 hours drive time from my house.

When we agreed on a price I drove to the dealer and then negotiated changes to the truck and got the dealer to add at no cost a bed liner, tool box, tow mirrors, and running boards. The dealer got my check and then they had to put on the tow mirrors and the running boards and other items. They had someone drive it 60 miles so we could meet halfway and I was able to check the items added on before driving off with the truck (and officially taking delivery).

For more than 4 month I have been trying to get a quote on a truck configuration from 4 Ram dealers in my area and so far they have wanted to sell me only what is already on their lots. The buyers order the trucks with the $995 chrome package or with the crew cab (cost more than identical truck with the quad cab) or with fancy wheels and without the 33-gal tank and withoug the electronic locking rear differential and without the 3.92 or even 3.55 gearing.

So with Ram it has been a waste of time to try to work with the dealers who want to order a truck that adds $5,000 to the MSRP with a lot of fluff that adds nothing to the capabilities of the truck. No such problems with Chevy or Toyota and I have not been interested in the Ford F-150, although with the difficult of getting a truck from Ram I may end up buying a Toyota or a Ford pickup instead.