New '18. What "needs" done immediately? Rust belt....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kyle31490

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I just finally pulled the trigger on a brand new 2018 Ram. Wanted to do it for years... I got a blue streak crew cab express model with the 5.7.

I have not taken delivery yet, but will be this week.

I have the dealer installing a roll in bed liner, an undercoating, a remote starter, and a hitch.

I've never had a truck less than like 9 years old with preexisting rust... Looking to take care of this one and I could really use some advice.

I live in Northwestern Pennsylvania right where lake Erie sendsall the lake effect snow and salt on the roads.

Here's some things I know I want quickly. I want the "best value" moreso than the most expensive parts.

Looking for:

*Floor mats.
*Seat covers.
*Mud flaps.

I think I should get those ↑ right away? Any disadvantages to having mudflaps? I'm really just looking to prevent corrosion and imperfections inside and outside the truck. What brands should I be looking at and where can I get the best deals? Links would be GREAT!

What else should I be getting for a brand new truck? Surely there are things I'm not thinking of? I greatly appreciate any and all advice!!!

Thanks so much!

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im in south eastern PA, dont get your type of weather but they still salt the **** outta everything here. I went with mopar rubber mats, theres 2 different styles, one type has alot more coverage on the front mats. Paid about 120.
Heard alot of good things about the husky mats. Im sure weathertechs are great but expensive. Theres alot of guys here who use fluid film or other oil based rust inhibitors, theres alot threads here on it. I cant find any shops near me who do it, wish there was as i dont have a good place to do it myself, and probably not the patience either.
Best of luck with your new truck.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
Congrats on the truck! Don’t forget to post some pics when you get it. I was literally on Amazon buying floor mats after I made the deal. I went with husky liner. I have weather tech in our other car and I wasn’t that impressed. The huskies were cheaper and seem to be more durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

kyle31490

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Huskies and the Weathertechs are what I seem to keep finding for the best quality fooormats.

Their seat covers look terrible though; so still on the hunt for those. Haha.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Undercoating or rustproofing? or both?

I am just south of you, the salt is bad enough but the brine solution they put on the road is the killer.

Mud flaps, I went with Gatorbacks (without a badge in them). They are big and heavy and cover a lot, but went with the longer in the rear to be able to use my flares stock bolts.
They aren't as easy fit as Husky, etc. but are really nice rubber flaps not a hard plastic.

https://www.realtruck.com/truck-hardware-gatorback-mud-flaps/R184112P2016Y2712MA.html
https://www.realtruck.com/truck-hardware-gatorback-mud-flaps/gm1223c09.html
https://www.realtruck.com/truck-hardware-gatorback-mud-flaps/gb1226ss-bp.html

I didn't do seat covers, so can't help there.

lobsterbake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel 6.7
Congrats on the new truck! X act contour by Husky are the best mats on the market imho. I would seriously have a Linex bedliner sprayed as opposed to a roll in by the dealer - lifetime warranty and looks like factory.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I tun the weathertech floor liners ... 100% coverage, and anything that melts, drains out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on the new truck!

I live in snow belt too where they salt the roads religiously.

For the love of god please do not do any sort of rubberized or hard undercoating. Stick with either Krown or fluid film. Also remove your wheel well liners before you have spraying done.

Rubberized undercoatings will rust out your truck way quicker than leaving it bare without treating it at all

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^This is your answer for rust proofing.

I use Krown but I don't remove the wheel well liners before getting it sprayed.

I used to work in detail shops and rubberized undercoating is great if you just want the underneath of your ride to look black and you are willing to scrape off the loose stuff and touch it up every year. Even still it really doesn't do a thing to protect against rust it will trap moister and help your truck rust faster. Oil based coatings are your best defense against rust.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't live anywhere near snow thank goodness, but I do have weathertech floor mats in my Ram. They fit great, look great, and so far holding up great. I had Husky in another truck and they were ok. Surface was a bit slick compared to the weathertechs.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
KROWN rust proof, fluid film better than rubber. Husky floor mats for interior, weathertech mud flaps (beware (2) diff stock numbers with/or without flares). I haven't had my bed done yet, but probably just gonna get a bed mat and a cover, which for me in TX works, as I no longer reside in the salt/sand/brime areas...

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Avoid any type of rubberized black undercoat! Have you ever tried working on a vehicle that's got that crap layered on? Check some you tube videos out on Ziebart nightmares with that stuff.

Like said, go with the oil spray. You have to do it yearly if you want it to work however. It shouldn't cost you more than $150 per application. If it does, try another. I'd recommend:

Krown
CarWell
Corrosion Free
BodyGuard

.. to name a few.

hsousa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another vote for Krown. Pretty happy with my weather tech mats.. check the classifieds.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Line-X the bottom and POR-15 anywhere they wont touch under the truck. Husky floor liner protect interior. Ensure anything bare metal like screws put paint on em. Have a can of rust to paint converter for when the tail hitch shows spots of surface.... I HATE RUST!

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you want some KICK ASS FLOOR MATS look no further than MAXPIDER KAGU floor matts. $165 for front and rear matts

Last edited:

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I had my truck Waxoyl'ed when I bought it the under carriage still looks good going on the forth winter.
I also run through the auto car washes frequently.

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I live about 1/2 way between Pittsburgh and Erie. Get some of that snow but not nearly as much. I've found that mudflaps, especially ones as large as you'll need on your truck, will collect snow/ice/slush...especially when it's deep and copious. You end up with these massive slush-cicles hanging from the mud flaps, almost to the ground, and even rubbing on the tires. Then when it get's to 5-degrees, you have solid rock-hard ice-bergs in your wheel-wells. I opted to skip the mud-flaps on my Rebel. Of course, I'm off road or on back roads, often enough that I'm covered in mud much of the time anyway, so a little splashy splashy on the sides, even when it's clean, doesn't bother me. I think my truck looks better dirty, anyway.